Jeep Cherokee Forum

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > OEM Cherokee Tech
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read GarageVendor DirectoryvBLive TSB & Recalls
Search

Welcome to Cherokee Forum!
Welcome to Cherokee Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

submit to reddit

Old 12-31-2011, 02:46 PM   #1
N8N

View N8N's Photo Album My Photos
1999 Cherokee
Default Headlight wiring '99 xj

OK, so I'm starting to collect stuff for Job 1 when I get my "new" XJ... upgrading the headlights. Most of my driving is done at night and every car I've owned for years has had GOOD headlights. I'm going to get Cibiť E-codes and relays from Daniel Stern but he doesn't include the wiring or the Techflex with his kits. I don't have any wire at all at the moment so I'm going to have to order some. What colors are used for the headlight wiring on an XJ? What color is typically used for grounds? Or if someone has a link to a wiring diagram for the vehicle, that'd be even better as I'll undoubtedly want to do more stuff (stereo, more lights, rear fog, etc.)

thanks!
N8N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 04:14 PM   #2

View mw6886's Photo Album My Photos
1998 Cherokee

I just upgraded my headlight harness and it made difference just with the factory lights.I'm planning to upgrade the headlamps with E code housings and higher wattage lamps..Here is a link to the harness you can make on your own...http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoHeadlightLoom.htm
mw6886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 04:37 PM   #3
N8N

1999 Cherokee

Beautiful! so if I'm seeing correctly in the photo, the stock wiring is red/white/black just like my old Studebaker then? Just trying to match the stock colors, because, well, if I'm ordering wire I might as well just order what is gonna look right.

I wonder why nobody is making premade harnesses for doing this? I've seen the yellow ones that have been floating around for years but I was not much impressed, they looked like they were 18AWG or thereabouts. Still probably better than using stock wiring, but really... I bought a premade harness years ago that was custom made for a Porsche 944, but sadly, the gentleman that made those has passed away...
Old 12-31-2011, 05:59 PM   #4

View opie1988's Photo Album My Photos
2000 Cherokee
Send a message via AIM to opie1988

http://www.eautoworks.com/Putco-H4--...s-PRD7540.aspx

this is a plug and play option here
opie1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 06:06 PM   #5
CF Veteran

View RTorrez1's Photo Album My Photos
1998 Sport Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by opie1988 View Post
http://www.eautoworks.com/Putco-H4--...s-PRD7540.aspx

this is a plug and play option here

This is a great set up. I put one on my 65 Chevy pick up. It made a big difference on my headlight even before I put some halogen headlights. Well worth the money.

No Info, No Help!

I had a real bad and annoying sound come from my passenger seat also. But once I broke up with my girl friend it's a LOT better...

----------------------------------------------------
1992 XJ 4X4 -- Stolen and found stripped.
1994 XJ 4X4 -- T-Boned By a lady running a red light.
1995 XJ 4X4 -- Rolled over 3 time while off road.
1998 XJ 4X4 -- Still have and going strong
RTorrez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 06:12 PM   #6
N8N

1999 Cherokee

That Putco one is exactly the "yellow harness" that I was thinking about - what gauge are those wires? They don't really *look* that reassuringly beefy... but if you can reassure me that they're at least 14 AWG that is an option. I was thinking of running 55/100W bulbs so that my brights would actually be bright, I never use 'em unless there's nobody around anyway, and when I *do* use 'em, I need 'em...

(yes, I know that they're illegal. So are E-code reflectors, and in my mind that's not because they're bad, but because NHTSA... um... doesn't always make intelligent decisions.)
Old 12-31-2011, 10:04 PM   #7
CF Veteran

View RTorrez1's Photo Album My Photos
1998 Sport Cherokee

It has been a few years since I put them in my truck so I don't what to say what gauge wire is because I really don't recall. All I know is on my 65 p/u you couldn't see more then 100ft before i put the harness in and after i could see so much better. I do live in the middle of nowhere and there are no street lights for miles and I rarely had to put my high beams on.

No Info, No Help!

I had a real bad and annoying sound come from my passenger seat also. But once I broke up with my girl friend it's a LOT better...

----------------------------------------------------
1992 XJ 4X4 -- Stolen and found stripped.
1994 XJ 4X4 -- T-Boned By a lady running a red light.
1995 XJ 4X4 -- Rolled over 3 time while off road.
1998 XJ 4X4 -- Still have and going strong
RTorrez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 10:04 PM

submit to reddit
Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > OEM Cherokee Tech