Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Headlight Switch problems.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 07:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Headlight Switch problems.

Bought my 95 XJ a week ago tomorrow (build thread incoming, I procrastinate). After I bought it, I popped open the knee panel and about pooped. The guy wired an auxiliary heater straight to the battery, and added random fuse panels and there were loose wires cut everywhere. I did what I could (or at least what I knew to do) to clean it up, ground some things and fix some electrical tape nightmares. The first time I drove it at night, half way through the ride my parking lights, dash lights, and rear running light all went out. I checked the fuse, replaced it, still no. Read the forums, found one about replacing the headlight switch, did it, nothing. I'd like to get this figured out, but I'm not necessarily an electrical whiz. I am very able though and would love to know if any one has had similar issues or other troubleshooting methods I could use to fix the issue. Thank you in advance for your input.
The following users liked this post:
asyankeesfan (05-31-2023)
Old 04-18-2012, 10:18 PM

I'd recommend searching out some of the threads done by cruiser54. I had a few electrical issues related to my lights,dash and ground problems. It's tedious work, but worth the time spent if you want to keep your jeep and know where to start. Check out renix ground refresh through the search option as well as cruiser54's tips...some great info and help. Good luck
Old 04-18-2012, 10:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

IIRC there is more than one fuse. One in the fuseblock, another under the hood.

ETA: Headlight wiring diagram attached. (From a RHD, but the headlight wiring is the same)
Attached Thumbnails Headlight Switch problems.-headlightwiring.jpg  

Last edited by Radi; 04-18-2012 at 11:15 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:10 AM

Awesome, Ill get out of bed and use this now.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:53 PM

Seriously. I spent 8 hours in that jeep. I tried everything. Replaced/checked every fuse. Traced wires, even turned the lights on and tried shaking everything. I was in that jeep all day, and still have no idea. Anyone have any out of the box thinking?
Old 04-19-2012, 09:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Since you lost ALL the lights, start at their common power source- the 40A fuse under the hood. Is there +12V on both sides of the fuse? (using a test light or DVM)

From there check if there's power going to the headlight switch. Red/white (headlights), Black/yellow (running lights).

If you have power so far, check the headlight relay under the hood, see if there's +12V supplied to the relay contacts AND that the relay pulls in when you operate the headlight switch.

Also check for proper ground at the bulb sockets. Attach a test light to battery positive and probe the ground connector. Hopefully it lights up...if not you have a ground problem. I'd actually check this first since it's quick.

Last edited by Radi; 04-19-2012 at 09:11 PM.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:41 AM

Ive ben working on thisfor a while. Still no lights, but i feel as if I found the problem. The harness tht has the headlights, parking lights, blinkers and horns on it, has a 10 pin connector next to the air filter. That 10 pin connector had on of the wires sticking out of it, and all of it as very corroded and nasty looking. I pulled a used harness fron the JY yesterday, since the one I had, one of the pins was corroded into nothing. Got some cleaner and have everything clean now, but i dont know what this loose wire goes to. Im just going to try and ground it to see, but i really need the diagra, because the 10 pin connector only has 6 pins in it, and i need to know what they go to, i might just cut and splice and hard wire these things and say screw the connector. But again, i need a diagram or sme input.
Old 07-04-2018, 03:55 PM

Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Unhappy Did anyone figure this out?

Having this problem in an XJ, None of the lights are working, they were working briefly then they stopped again; Wires, Relays, Flashers, Fuses, Bulbs, all have been replaced and still nothing.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks