Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Headlight Switch(es) Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 09:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Headlight Switch(es) Not Working

I know there are several threads on here already about headlight switches not working. However, I do believe my situation may be slightly unique.

About 2 weeks ago, my dash lights went out on 92 Jeep Cherokee Laredo. When I got home, I also noticed my rear lights were off too even though my headlights still work. I removed the headlight switch and swapped it out with a brand new one. It did not work. I ran a wire between the power and dash light sockets and it lit up fine. Same with the rear lights. I figured it was the switch so I got another one and the same issue still occurs.

Am I doing something wrong? I've checked the fuse panel and there are no blown fuses. The headlight switch is grounded. I have also cleaned the contacts on the headlight switch wire harness.

Old 09-25-2013, 10:23 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 91
Engine: 4.0 I6 H.O.

Make sure the connectors in the harness are making contact with the switch. That was the issue for me. The plastic harness had melted a little loosening them up. An after market headlight harness isn't a bad investment in the future either.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by XJPat
Make sure the connectors in the harness are making contact with the switch. That was the issue for me. The plastic harness had melted a little loosening them up. An after market headlight harness isn't a bad investment in the future either.
The harness is not deformed or melted in any way. The contacts inside the harness are making contact with the new switch (contacts are marking/scratching the switch's contacts). Just to be sure though, I ran an electrical wire from the power socket to the switch and an electrical wire from the dash lights socket to the switch...no dash lights at all even when adjusting the dimmer. This happens with my original headlight switch and the 2 new ones I have just purchase recently from 2 different suppliers
Old 09-25-2013, 01:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Power in and out been verified on all fuses ?
Old 09-25-2013, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by freegdr
Power in and out been verified on all fuses ?
Yes unless there are any hidden fuses that I cannot see. Power is going to the headlight switch connector. If I bypass the switch directly at the headlight switch connector, all of the lights work. If I plug in the switch, it does not work. I have 2 new switches and my original. The switch is grounded properly.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:22 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by JimmyMcDuff
Yes unless there are any hidden fuses that I cannot see. Power is going to the headlight switch connector. If I bypass the switch directly at the headlight switch connector, all of the lights work. If I plug in the switch, it does not work. I have 2 new switches and my original. The switch is grounded properly.
Have you confirmed power to the switch and out of it when on ? Is plug melted or burnt ?
Old 09-25-2013, 03:36 PM

Have you confirmed power to the switch and out of it when on ? Is plug melted or burnt ?
All 3 switches when taken out of the connector and tested only work on the 2 dome pins and the headlight pin, not the dash lights or parking lights. Unless I am doing something wrong and/or have picked up 2 bad switches, then I am not sure where to proceed at this point.

The headlight switch connector is not melted or damaged in any way.
Attached Images  
Old 09-25-2013, 03:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 HO

I had the same issue and tried changing the headlight switch, didn't work. What did work was the fuse in the kick panel for the parking lights. You might want to start pulling each fuse and checking them out.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:12 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by JimmyMcDuff
All 3 switches when taken out of the connector and tested only work on the 2 dome pins and the headlight pin, not the dash lights or parking lights. Unless I am doing something wrong and/or have picked up 2 bad switches, then I am not sure where to proceed at this point.

The headlight switch connector is not melted or damaged in any way.
Test when plug into harness ....How many times does **** pull out ?
Old 09-25-2013, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by XJ-92
I had the same issue and tried changing the headlight switch, didn't work. What did work was the fuse in the kick panel for the parking lights. You might want to start pulling each fuse and checking them out.
I checked that already but I guess it would not hurt to check again. I'll provide an update in about 1.5 hours.

Test when plug into harness ....How many times does **** pull out ?
The **** pulls out twice. How do I test it when it is plugged into the harness other than actually trying to use it?
Old 09-25-2013, 05:33 PM
CF Veteran

Probe back side of plug for current coming out when pulled out .
Old 09-25-2013, 06:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

I don't see in your info if it's auto or manual trans. When a master cyl goes on a manual it might pee brake fluid right out the fuse box.

One foggy morning before 5 AM I wondered why my dash lights were out. I got DUI'd about 15 hrs later because my tail lights were out. I guess the trailer I used the day before blew the fuse that powers them both.

I don't mean to distract, but that fuse that powers them both, (and it's connections) are pretty important.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:57 PM

Ok, so I was inspecting the fuse panel again and have noticed before that the previous owner had done some electrical modification. Parking fuse melted in the fuse panel so the previous owner literally rerouted it to an open, unused slot. Those wires were knocked loose. I ended up cleaning up the melted fuse and now it works. Dash lights don't dim anymore but they turn on as well as my parking lights.