Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Head Gasket Time (I think)

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 06:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Default Head Gasket Time (I think)

Hey guys sorry I havent been on here in a while. Sold my XJ to my younger brother, he thoroughly messed it up and now I have it back with a lot of money for new parts. Ive already done the basics (thorough cleaning, new brakes, rotors, calipers, front axle u-joints, tranny fluid flush, new muffler and tailpipe, front and rear diff fluids flushed, rear brakes and stuff (shocks, leaf packs) in that area coming up soon).
This jeep now has about 160,000 miles on it. I have had several people tell me the head gasket is drying up and probably should get replaced soon. I can also tell the intake gaskets are pretty rough by looking at them and the jeep overall is running a bit rougher than it use to. The valve cover was done by the owner before me but thats no big deal. (it doesnt help my younger brother drove it like he was in the Daytona 500 for the last 6 months)
Does anyone have the torque specs and "tightening order" for the head bolts (I will be getting new ones)? Also, what brand gaskets should I get? I was thinking about Fel-Pro from Summit. Any other issues or things I should look out for or do to make the end result better?
Thanks in advance,
Nick
Old 08-23-2015, 09:10 PM

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: I6 Cyl / 4L

This thread has some good info:

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/beg...ft-1-a-166226/

Good luck.
Old 08-23-2015, 11:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 97
Engine: 4.0
Default May I ask?

Originally Posted by SixShooterXJCherokee
Hey guys sorry I havent been on here in a while. Sold my XJ to my younger brother, he thoroughly messed it up and now I have it back with a lot of money for new parts. Ive already done the basics (thorough cleaning, new brakes, rotors, calipers, front axle u-joints, tranny fluid flush, new muffler and tailpipe, front and rear diff fluids flushed, rear brakes and stuff (shocks, leaf packs) in that area coming up soon).
This jeep now has about 160,000 miles on it. I have had several people tell me the head gasket is drying up and probably should get replaced soon. I can also tell the intake gaskets are pretty rough by looking at them and the jeep overall is running a bit rougher than it use to. The valve cover was done by the owner before me but thats no big deal. (it doesnt help my younger brother drove it like he was in the Daytona 500 for the last 6 months)
Does anyone have the torque specs and "tightening order" for the head bolts (I will be getting new ones)? Also, what brand gaskets should I get? I was thinking about Fel-Pro from Summit. Any other issues or things I should look out for or do to make the end result better?
Thanks in advance,
Nick

May I ask if you are sure it is the headgasket making it run rough? When I got mine I found that it had a few bent push tubes from being over revved and because the lifters pumped up to create enough valve float to hit the piston. It did not bend the valves, but it did bend the push tubes and made it run rough until replaced. I might check this first, It might save you a whole lot of time, effort and money?
Old 08-23-2015, 11:40 PM

Year: 1992

How does a head gasket dry up? Either it's bad or it's not no way I would change it unless you are positve it is leaking.
Old 08-24-2015, 06:58 AM

The previous owner put that Stop Leak stuff in it. I cant say Im opposed to or for that stuff, but I personally would not put it into a vehicle I am planning to keep. Thats primarily why I want to get after it. I also am not sure of the level of abuse it took from my younger brother. Thanks BugOut4x4 I will check the push tubes today
Old 08-24-2015, 08:26 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by JeepsAreForSpeed
How does a head gasket dry up? Either it's bad or it's not no way I would change it unless you are positve it is leaking.

Yeah they don't just dry up and blow away at the very most I might re-torque the head bolts but that is only after checking out everything.

First off do a leak down test, you can get a tester for a small Deposit at a Auto Parts store. Then see what your working with as far as any leaks in the sys.
Old 09-17-2015, 07:53 PM

Ok fellas, sorry no activity here for a while. I ended up having to replace the exhaust manifold (there was a crack in it) so I figured I would do the head gasket since I was most of the way there and I am glad I did. The rear part of the head gasket was letting coolant in and I had some brown milky stuff back there. I had a feeling I might find that. Anyhow it isnt that hard of a job. I guess this gasket "dried up and blew away" haha.
Any pointers or anything else I should watch for while Im there?
Old 09-17-2015, 09:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 HO

New head bolts.
New firewall ground.
Did u get the Fel-Pro head gasket kit from Summit? It will have all the items u need.
Change your oil when u r done.
Change it again after 5 minutes of running.
I hope your bearings r ok.
Old 09-20-2015, 06:43 PM

Alright so yes I got new head bolts and the felpro gaskets set. Every one of the bolts got torqued to 110 ft/lbs except #11, it got permatex thread sealant and 100 ft/lbs. I also followed the torque sequence for lbs and for order. Should I worry about re-torquing the head bolts in a few thousand miles? Everything looks great so far. The new exhaust should be done by Wednesday or so. Thanks for all the help guys, this heep project should be coming to an end here soon.
Old 09-23-2015, 06:27 PM

So everything is done and back together. The jeep now runs as smooth as it has ever run. Beautiful driving, idling, and starting (yeah, startup is faster and crisper). I am glad I did this project and did not waste time with various tests that would have cost nearly as much the whole job did ($120 with new bolts, the new felpro gaskets and other *hit).