Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

hard to start...??

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 07:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default hard to start...??

Hey guys,

Bought my jeep about a month ago and have been slowly but surely been crossing things off the "to do" list for the jeep. Its a 97 country edition, 159K, love it!

Next up is the hard start issue I have been having since I got it. It takes a good 10 seconds of cranking before it sputters to life, it doesn't "fire up" and run, it kind of sputters to life. After running it seems fine. If I crank it for like 5 seconds then cycle the key to start it again it catches on the 2nd revolutions and cranks right up. No check engine lights.

So far I have replaced:

-Distributor cap & rotor
-spark plugs. Champion copper.
-plug wires.
-Cleaned throttle body.
-New exhaust including cat converter.
-New o2 sensors front and rear.
-This tank of gas has a bottle of Amsoil P.I. fuel system cleaner. Have only burned through 1/4 of the tank so far.

I have both breather elbows on the way for the valve cover.

Like I said, it seems to run OK. It idles right around 650 RPM, with a little bounce up and down, maybe 50RPM.

We had a 88 cherokee with the Renix 4.0, 200K on it, it started and seemed to run much smoother than this 97...

Ideas?

Last edited by 97xjcountry; 05-03-2009 at 07:05 PM.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:28 PM

Have you tried the idle air control or the fuel filter?

Capt. Bill
Old 05-04-2009, 02:38 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994

Does it make any difference if the engine is warm or cold? I have similar symptoms if mine sits overnight, but if I drive it and it only sits for a few hours or so it fires right up.

I have done the same things you have without success (also did air and fuel filter and cleaned the IACV).

I am leaning towards bad fuel pump, fuel regulator, or TPS? I spoke to the dealership Jeep tech guru and he felt that I was on the right track.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:02 AM

I have cleaned the IAC, it was nasty! I was thinking about just replacing it because of it's condition. After cleaning it, it does idle a little better, the RPM's don't jump around as much at idle.

I does not matter if the truck is hot or cold, same symptoms for both.

I was also leaning towards fuel pump and filter.

One thing I did notice yesterday was; when you shake the truck, like if you are loading something into it or whatever, I get a tapping/clanging noise inside the gas tank. It sounds like the gas is pushing something around in the tank and its tapping on the side..?? The gas gauge works fine.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:05 AM

I have a 97 XJ Country as well. Hard starts as well. Harder in cold than summer. Only hard starts if sitting for 30 min. or more. I have put a fuel pressure gauge on it and all is well. A test that I did to narrow the search was turn the key on but don't start. Just turn on to hear fuel pump start up. Repeat this 3-4 times. Then try to start. Mine starts immediatly when normally would turn over a few times. There is some sort of check valve in the tank or on fuel pump. I have not had the time or money to fix it yet but I believe that is the problem. I have also head it might be part of the regulator. Bottom line fuel is draining back to the tank and you have to "prime" it to get is started quickly. With it getting warm I can just turn the key on, wait for the fuel pump to stop and it starts reasonably quick. Mine has 117K miles so when I do pull the tank down I will change all components.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:16 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994

Where is the actual check valve located?

I know that 96 and newer XJ's are a little different in the fuel system area. Mine is a 94 and the fuel pressure regulator is on the fuel rail. I think on the newer ones its part of the fuel pump in the tank?
Old 05-04-2009, 01:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0 liter RENIX I-6, DIY Cold Air Intake, 2.5 FM Exhaust, 3 Core Radiator

Your long cranking is being caused by a bad check valve. This one way check valve keeps fuel in the line for ease of starting. When the check valve goes bad all of your fuel drains back into the gas tank everytime you shut your Jeep off and let it sit for any long period of time. So, in effect you have to pump fuel clear from the tank to the injectors everytime you start it. Causing your long cranking session. The bad news is this check vlave it built into your fuel pump. I had to change a fuel pump for the same problem. Pumped fuel just fine but, I hated the long cranking to start everytime. So, you'll be chnging a fuel pump to fix this problem...The good news is it really isn't such a bad idea, anyway. If you recently bought your XJ and don't know when or if the fuel pump has ever been replaced, it's most likely about time for a new one, anyway since your check valve has already gone bad.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:33 PM

yep, that's what I thought too, fuel pump check valve.

Is the check valve in the pump its self? They make complete pump assembly's that are only $30 more than the pump itsself. Seems a heck of a lot easier than having to pulll the assembly apart once you have it out of the tank.

I also found a complete pump assembly at a JY near me for $35, it's from a 01 and it has 86K on it. Seems like a good deal...
Old 05-04-2009, 04:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0 liter RENIX I-6, DIY Cold Air Intake, 2.5 FM Exhaust, 3 Core Radiator

The check valve is internal to the fuel pump. Get a different fuel pump, you get a different check valve.
Old 08-24-2015, 11:48 AM

1. Clean coolant sensor with crc electrical cleaner. Allow to dry then try to start the car. If you notice if any improvement replace sensor.

2. Open up starter and check for warn greasy components. It should be clean and dryinside the starter. if any brushes are warn down replace the brushes (ebay) or get new starter.

Replacing coolant sensor and starter fixed my problem of over cranking.

if over cranking still persist systematically clean sensors and harness connections...idle air control sensor, crankshaft sensor, neutral safety switch, camshaft sensor. Electrical issues are a constant battle I face. Good luck. Hope this helps find a solution.