Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Hard jerk and jarring when driving

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Hard jerk and jarring when driving

While driving (usually in a low rpm such as 50mph at under 2k rpm) I get several jerks and jarring coming from somewhere in the front. I've done a tune up and guy I've got it from said he replaced something behind the motor but wasn't sure what. The rpms do not dive and no engine light. Afraid it is the transfer case or tranny. It mostly does it while in OD and giving it gas or shifting into a 2 usually makes it stop. I can shift into 4hi and 4 lol fine.
Old 08-01-2014, 03:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Engine: 4.0

You need to start by giving us some info on the vehicle. Such as year, model, engine, trans(auto or manual) All Jeep model and engines aren't the same.
Old 08-01-2014, 03:35 PM

That usually helps lol. 99 cherokee sport. i6. Auto. Not certain on which tranny is in it.
Old 08-03-2014, 12:37 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

I had an issue similar to this in my 2WD/manual... Around 50mph or so with steady throttle, not accelerating or decelerating, the jeep would intermittently start to jerk and buck... Like the driveline was bouncing off the compression of the engine and the gear train itself... Not really sure how else to explain it. Lifting off or giving it a little gas made it go away.

Replaced my worn-out shocks and it's been completely fine ever since.
Old 08-03-2014, 02:32 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

When it's jerking try stepping very lightly on the brake- just enough to unlock the torque converter clutch. Your symptoms seem to be happening during times it should be locked up, and not when it should be unlocked.
Old 08-03-2014, 09:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Originally Posted by Crash_Course
I had an issue similar to this in my 2WD/manual... Around 50mph or so with steady throttle, not accelerating or decelerating, the jeep would intermittently start to jerk and buck... Like the driveline was bouncing off the compression of the engine and the gear train itself... Not really sure how else to explain it. Lifting off or giving it a little gas made it go away.

Replaced my worn-out shocks and it's been completely fine ever since.
Sounds like a dead spot in the TPS, but if the new shocks fixed it.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:13 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I think I'm looking to update the tps sensor down the road out of caution. I replaced the cps sensor about two weeks ago. It was recently replaced by previous owner I think. He said it was the one that was hard to get to. It appeared it was a part store brand and based on similar stories I went with Mopar this time. It gave a cel not to long ago and I was having problems with power. Voltage at 19, radio restarting to factory when cranking, and issues starting the jeep. Long story short, haven't had any issues since. I did rewire the positive terminal to the battery but that didn't fix it. The Mopar cps is the fix, no issues since.