Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Got sticky door lock mechanisms on my '96 XJ

Old 09-16-2014, 02:38 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Got sticky door lock mechanisms on my '96 XJ

I've had this problem unlocking the doors of my '96 XJ for a number of years now and I'd really like to get this problem fixed before it gets any worse. Back 7-8 years ago when I first bought this machine to lock the doors you had to hit the down lock switch 3 or 4 times to get the lever/switch indicator on the door panel to fully move into the lock position. Same with unlocking. I'm not entirely sure about the inner door mechanics of what's going on but I was told the 'lock actuators' were wearing out and needed to be replaced.

Now things have advanced to the point where the door locks are difficult to engage when pushing directly on the interior door lock switches. When unlocking with the key from the outside I often have to give the key turn a lot of heft and momentum to get it to either lock or unlock. Honestly I'm surprised the key teeth haven't begun to deform and possibly fail.

What's the solution to my problem here? Obviously I need to get into the doors and probably graphite lubricate all the door lock mechanism joints I can get to. Probably need to get new actuators as well.

This model XJ originally came with a remote unlock feature although the owner had lost the remote key fob. Because both door locks have been so difficult to work with for so long now I've never looked into replacing the remote, although it'd be great if I can get that feature working again.

Thanks
Old 09-16-2014, 06:03 AM
CF Veteran

Received 296 Likes on 246 Posts
Year: 1997 (RHD)
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 ltr

Well, the remote is a question of buying a new key fob and have it programmed, or at least that's what it was for me.

the other issue: it won't hurt to do what you stated: have a look inside (door panel removes fairly easily, few philips head screws and the panel itself is actually fastened with those typical plugs) and lubing ("graphiting") locks is never a bad start to see if mechanical components actually work smoother...