Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

got da clunk...great.

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 11:33 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default got da clunk...great.

I had this for a while now but it's quite noticeable now. When i come to a stop and as the jeep stops completely, it clunks. I can come to a very very slow stop where the rear does not settle much if any and it still clunks. I accelerated very slowly and after a second or two, it clunked.

where do you guys suggest i start looking? brakes? wasn't there a TSB on rear brakes? driveshaft? im running a front in the back. motor mounts?
Old 09-10-2008, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 98
Engine: 4L

u joints ??
Old 09-10-2008, 12:00 PM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

Axle u-joints and/or driveshaft u-joints. Next I would check unit bearings. Last but surely not least would be the tranny mount.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:00 PM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L

Do you have a lift on your vehicle. I lifted mine and when I start or stop sometime I get a clunk.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:01 PM
Renix Super Guru

Originally Posted by JeepersCreepers
Do you have a lift on your vehicle. I lifted mine and when I start or stop sometime I get a clunk.
Check his drop down menu for his Jeeps specs.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:08 PM

Year: 98
Engine: 4L

mine clunks only on 4wd
Old 09-10-2008, 01:37 PM

Year: 1992

hmmm. I personally think its suspension related.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 96
Engine: 4.0 IL6

I have the same or very similar. I'm barely moving when I hear it at slowdown/stop occasionally, and again just after I start rolling. I suspect drivetrain somehow. (I have new ujoints on front wheels, so it's not that part).
Old 09-10-2008, 02:38 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

If its the old Cherokee "Bowling-Ball-In-The-Trunk" feeling, then you need to re-grease your rear slip-yoke / Output shaft splines. My '99 had the same problem and it drove me up a wall daily.

Thought it was a bad u-joint also.

Here is the fix that worked PERFECT for me..

1) Jack up one rear wheel and place jackstand under rear axle.
2) Mark the driveshaft in relation to the rear end yoke with a quick spray of paint (Any color of your choice really).
3) Carefully remove the 4 small bolts holding the straps that hold the u-joint to the rear end. PB Blaster and a slight tapping with a hammer and patience will reward you with no broken bolts if you live in the rust-belt as I do. Selecting Neutral on the transfer case and spinning the driveshaft as you remove the bolts makes it MUCH easier to do this. Although getting up and down does get old. Maybe bribe a friend to operate the t-case for you.
4) Cut or "undo" the rubber boot metal STRAP on the tail of the transmission output shaft to the driveshaft leaving the boot on the tranny.
5) Remove the driveshaft while carefully not losing the u-joint caps. Masking tape is your friend here.
6) Using a clean rag, wipe down the output shaft splines and the driveshaft splines.
7) Coat the driveshaft splines and the tranny splines with Permatex Anti-Seize. If you are planning on keeping this Jeep, then I suggest investing in the large bottle.
8) Schlurp the driveshaft back on and re-assemble the rear straps and bolts. Be sure to align your paint marks.
9) Use a heavy duty zip-tie on the rubber boot on the tail of the transmission to keep dirt out.
10) Remove jackstands and carefully lower Jeep.
10) Enjoy your now clunk-free cruising!
Old 09-10-2008, 03:48 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by diskman
If its the old Cherokee "Bowling-Ball-In-The-Trunk" feeling, then you need to re-grease your rear slip-yoke / Output shaft splines. My '99 had the same problem and it drove me up a wall daily.

2) Mark the driveshaft in relation to the rear end yoke with a quick spray of paint (Any color of your choice really).
3) Carefully remove the 4 small bolts holding the straps that hold the u-joint to the rear end. PB Blaster and a slight tapping with a hammer and patience will reward you with no broken bolts if you live in the rust-belt as I do. Selecting Neutral on the transfer case and spinning the driveshaft as you remove the bolts makes it MUCH easier to do this. Although getting up and down does get old. Maybe bribe a friend to operate the t-case for you.
4) Cut or "undo" the rubber boot metal STRAP on the tail of the transmission output shaft to the driveshaft leaving the boot on the tranny.
5) Remove the driveshaft while carefully not losing the u-joint caps. Masking tape is your friend here.
6) Using a clean rag, wipe down the output shaft splines and the driveshaft splines.
7) Coat the driveshaft splines and the tranny splines with Permatex Anti-Seize. If you are planning on keeping this Jeep, then I suggest investing in the large bottle.
8) Schlurp the driveshaft back on and re-assemble the rear straps and bolts. Be sure to align your paint marks.
9) Use a heavy duty zip-tie on the rubber boot on the tail of the transmission to keep dirt out.
I had that problem when it was stock. Now i'm lifted with a sye and cv driveshaft. It still could be the splines needing greased since i run a front shaft back there. I'm gonna unbolt the rear and put the front shaft back in and take it for a spin. see if anything changes. this'll be interesting with a front locker....
Old 09-10-2008, 10:36 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999

my passengers side axle u-joint clunked but now it doesnt. onto the next clunk with the ball joints..haha.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:21 AM
CF Veteran

well i'm gonna dig in today and see what i can find. Time to get greasy.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:46 AM
Renix Super Guru

Originally Posted by muddeprived
well i'm gonna dig in today and see what i can find. Time to get greasy.
You better let us knw what turns up as you get to the bottom of the Clunk.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:59 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by BlueXJ
You better let us knw what turns up as you get to the bottom of the Clunk.
I think it is the rear driveshaft. I removed it, put the front back on and drove it in front wheel drive (quite fun with a locker). The clunk was mysteriously gone so it's probably the rear shaft needing lubed. I did lube it when i put it on 6 months ago. Guess it's a thirsty shaft.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:25 AM

Year: 1998

Sorry to resurrect and old thread, but I wanted to thank diskman for posting this. I bought a '98 XJ a couple weeks ago, and this clunk was REALLY irritating. First I thought it was axle windup, but I couldn't find anything wrong with the rear-end. Did some searching and found this post. Took it apart yesterday and sure enough... I had to use a prybar to move the driveshaft off the u-joint! Greased it up and put it back together. Voila! No more clunk in the trunk.

This board is a great resource. I haven't been on long but have already learned a ton about my vehicle.

Thanks!

Greg

Originally Posted by diskman