Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Gauges went out

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 08:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Post Gauges went out

2001 Cherokee Sport
Just put in a 98? Grand Cherokee 4.0

I was driving to the car wash to pressure washer oil off the block. On the way, it threw two codes, 02 sensor high voltage and cylinder 2 misfire (don't think it's related to this issue but I figured I'd include it).

Anyway, while pressure washing I thought I took enough care to avoid plugs and electrical systems but apparently not, because when I went to start it back up, I had no gauges at all. I took the plugs out of the ECM and blew them out with compressed air and put dielectric grease. Nothing. I checked all the fuses, nothing. I ran the instrument diagnostic and all the lights work, but no gauges.

Where did I screw it?
Old 03-10-2017, 08:12 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Kody L Leno
2001 Cherokee Sport
Just put in a 98? Grand Cherokee 4.0

I was driving to the car wash to pressure washer oil off the block. On the way, it threw two codes, 02 sensor high voltage and cylinder 2 misfire (don't think it's related to this issue but I figured I'd include it).

Anyway, while pressure washing I thought I took enough care to avoid plugs and electrical systems but apparently not, because when I went to start it back up, I had no gauges at all. I took the plugs out of the ECM and blew them out with compressed air and put dielectric grease. Nothing. I checked all the fuses, nothing. I ran the instrument diagnostic and all the lights work, but no gauges.

Where did I screw it?

I know you said you checked all fuses, but...

Check the IOD fuse in the PDC and fuse #9 in the JB. Both fuses feed the instrument cluster but #9 in the JB is the main power fuse to the instrument cluster. If the gauges don't cycle doing the instrument cluster actuator test, there's no power going to the cluster. Most lamps on the cluster are direct wired.

Name:  jpgPDC2000_2001.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  121.4 KB
Name:  20002001xjjb.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  71.4 KB