Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Gauges and Interior Lights not working.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 12:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Post Gauges and Interior Lights not working.

Hi, this is my first post so sorry for any future errors!

5 days ago I installed a new stereo, and two new speakers. I did not use a wire harness, I just twisted the wires together, and put electric tape over them. The radio works and my car is functioning normally. 2 days ago, I bought and installed flood lights, and wired them up according to the instructions (Battery>Switch>Lights, and it was all grounded correctly) and then the next day, I went out to my car to leave, and my car started, but none of my gauges weren't moving, and the interior lights wouldn't light up when I opened to door or when I turn them on manually with the switch.

So today, I check all the fuses, and they're still fine, I even went out and bought some replacement ones and replaced the ones that are used for the instrument cluster and lights. And now, I have absolutely no idea how to fix this. If I take it to a shop, how much would I expect to have it fixed? But I would much rather do this myself, it makes me feel so much better about myself to do it myself!

Thanks,
Jacob
Old 04-23-2011, 01:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by screamingnak3d
Hi, this is my first post so sorry for any future errors!

5 days ago I installed a new stereo, and two new speakers. I did not use a wire harness, I just twisted the wires together, and put electric tape over them. The radio works and my car is functioning normally. 2 days ago, I bought and installed flood lights, and wired them up according to the instructions (Battery>Switch>Lights, and it was all grounded correctly) and then the next day, I went out to my car to leave, and my car started, but none of my gauges weren't moving, and the interior lights wouldn't light up when I opened to door or when I turn them on manually with the switch.

So today, I check all the fuses, and they're still fine, I even went out and bought some replacement ones and replaced the ones that are used for the instrument cluster and lights. And now, I have absolutely no idea how to fix this. If I take it to a shop, how much would I expect to have it fixed? But I would much rather do this myself, it makes me feel so much better about myself to do it myself!

Thanks,
Jacob
The gauge issue might just be a wiring problem, I have that problem every now and then I will be driving down the road and my airbag light will come on and then all of my gauges or sometimes just my speedo and tach stop working and just drop to zero. I would say check the wiring for you gauges and make sure nothing is shorted out, also try removing your flood lights (I know it will be a pain) and if it works after they are removed than you know it was you lights causing the problem, then you could reinstall your flood lights and see if you still have the problem. If you don't...problem solved, but if it occurs again than its either something you did wrong or just a severe adverse effect. Sorry my advice isn't the best but it could give you somewhere to start. IMO I would try removing the flood lights first
Old 04-23-2011, 01:33 AM

I actually removed the flood lights and it still didn't work How do I access all the wiring for the gauges? I tried to remove the the thing (I think its called the cluster?) but couldn't find out how.

Thanks,
Jacob
Old 04-23-2011, 01:36 AM

I actually removed the flood lights and it still didn't work How do I access all the wiring for the gauges? I tried to remove the the thing (I think its called the cluster?) but couldn't find out how.

Thanks,
Jacob
sorry, don't know what to tell you there, I think you have to remove your dash to access the cluster but I'm not sure. There has to be somebody on here that knows, it's 2:30 EST right now so not many people are on, I guarantee somebody will be able to answer that in the morning. Sorry bro
Old 04-23-2011, 01:41 AM

Ok, well I removed all the paneling around it, but still couldn't figure out how to get behind the cluster to the wiring. But yeah, I hope this gets answered.
Old 04-23-2011, 03:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

I don't know where you wired the stereo in, but if you just twisted and taped wires, you may have an open hot or ground there. I like to at least crimp connectors or else solder and use heat shrink tubing.
Old 04-23-2011, 05:36 PM

I got the gauges working, I forgot to replace one of the fuses. But now, my car will not start. I'm not sure if its related to the fuses or anything, but I think the Fuel pump went bad. Is there anyway to test it?
Old 08-02-2011, 01:44 AM

Its been a while and I ended up taking it to the shop after I found out the fuel pump was bad.
To test your fuel pump someone told me is to have someone to the key as far as possible with the engine(I think its acc.?) and then the other person should be listening to the fuel tank for some noise, like small motor for a few seconds. If your fuel pump works you should hear the sound, and if its not, well obviously there would be no sound.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:00 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: The venerable 4.0

Ya it primes for 3 seconds when you turn the key to run.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:21 PM

Its been a while and I ended up taking it to the shop after I found out the fuel pump was bad.
To test your fuel pump someone told me is to have someone to the key as far as possible with the engine(I think its acc.?) and then the other person should be listening to the fuel tank for some noise, like small motor for a few seconds. If your fuel pump works you should hear the sound, and if its not, well obviously there would be no sound.
the way I always check for that is open up the hood and have someone turn the key, if the engine turns over but won't start up then it's something to do with the ignition system or the fuel pump (usually the fuel pump)
Old 05-10-2012, 02:26 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

im having this problem right now only all the fuses are good and the fuel pumps good