Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Fuel Gauge Problem!

Old 11-21-2009, 10:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Cool Fuel Gauge Problem!

Hey Guy's,

I don't know if anybody's had this problem, but my fuel gauge sporadically refuses to indicate, when the engine is started. It reads empty and the low fuel light comes on, even though there's lots of fuel in the tank. Sometimes I drive around town with it in that position and hope the next time I have to start the engine the gauge will register to the correct fuel amount. Sometimes it takes several tries for the gauge to actually read anything. Any thoughts out there what the problem most likely can be? Additionally, when the Jeep is parked on an incline and then I attempt to start it up, most of the time the gauge doesn't want to register.
Is this a sending unit problem, or some kind of grounding problem, or possibly even a fuel float problem? Please help. It's a pain in the butt. My Jeep is a Stock 1999 Cherokee Sport, Manual. 157000 km's on it, and in great condition.

Thanks eh!
Old 11-21-2009, 11:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Same problem here think it is getting close to time to replace the whole unit in the tank. From what I heared it can be a ***** to get the tank dwn so might as well cange out the filter pump and float.
Thats what I am going to do
Old 11-22-2009, 09:03 AM

Engine: 4.0

I had the same problem. Mine had to do with deposits on the resistor on the sending unit.

From what I have read, a lot of vehicles made in the late 90's have this problem. It has to do with the type of resistors used in the units at that time and that newer fuels have a higher sulfur content.

I used a product called Techron. It solved about 95% of the problem. I only have one spot right at 7/8 full that the needle will fall off to empty. Once it goes below 7/8 all is well again.

Regardless of their advertisements, it took about three applications (bottles) to get mine to where it is. It beat dropping the tank and replacing the sender, though.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:35 AM

That "Techron" stuff your talking about sounds like the simplest solution. I take it that it's a fuel additive of some sort? Who makes it? STP, Wyann's,...??? and where can I find it? I'd rather look into the simple solutions verses the alternative of dropping everything, where it could be resolved via a cleaning agent.
Thanks. I hear through the grapevine that Cherokee's of that era had minor electrical gremlins, maybe this is one of those simple ways to kill this one...!!!

Cheers!
Old 11-22-2009, 10:56 AM

might also want to take your gauge cluster out and clean the contacts behind it with some electrical cleaner.. I had a problem similar to this and I cleaned the two contacts and it works like a champ now
Old 11-22-2009, 03:16 PM

Engine: 4.0

Techron is made by Chevron. I bought it at Advance Auto, but most auto parts stores have it.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:58 PM

Cool! Thanks guy's. I'll try both the Techron and the cluster contact method. I'll reserve the tank drop for a later time assuming these easy methods don't work first. It's really retarded how the gauge acts so unpredictably.

It's Nice to know, the Jeep family has a common goal!.....Jeeps!

Cheers.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:10 PM

Default fuel gauge issue

hey guys have the same fuel gauge issue, mines a 99xj.
ive even turned my ignition and my odometer hasnt lit up either. turned the key off n wiggled the key in the lock cylinder n turned the key, odometer lit but still the gauge issue. been told its lockcylinder and maybe ignition switch issue due to the bad design of how vehicle is supposedly wired. everythn thru the ignition???? i have even left the pump w a full tank and drove not even 20min and there goes the beep
&fuelite aswell the needle drops to E
Old 10-02-2016, 09:42 AM

I'm looking for wiring color code a 1988 grand cherokee. Because the factory part don't match new part