Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Front and rear sway bar upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Front and rear sway bar upgrade

My wife's Stock 98 XJ failed inspection due to worn out bushings on front sway bar. As you can see in pic, the old end link bushings are quite mangled and the bar cushion is oval shaped. For the same cost of the shop replacing the bushings, I decided to do this upgrade instead. Dirt or unpaved roads is the worst our jeeps encounters, so being more paved road worthy is the goal.

The original bar is 26mm (1.024"). The new Addco bar is 28.57 (1.125)
I plan on replacing the rear bar also, waiting for it to arrive.

Parts used:

Front Sway Bar End Link with Polyurethane Ends
(For 91-01 Jeep® Cherokee XJ)
http://www.quadratec.com/products/pr...?id=56004+0014

ADDCO Front Sway Bar #516
(For 84-01 Jeep® Cherokee XJ & Grand Cherokee ZJ)
http://www.quadratec.com/products/76059_800.htm

Place jeep on ramps, parking brake on or wheel blocks for added safety.

Unbolt the two bolts on each bar cushion, let bar swing down. Remove the end link bolt where assembly pivoted about. Wiggle the endlinks off of the studs, removing assembly from Jeep.

Save the large washers and nuts from the pivot studs. Also the four bolts that hold bar cushion. These parts will need to be reused.

I did reverse to install. Our jeep had a severe accident early in it's life, so we needed to have a floor jack to flex the bar into location. Also used a 2x4x2ft and a hammer to shift bar side to side as needed.

We used Silicone suspension/wheel bearing grease liberally at all points of contact when assembled. This is especially important at the bar cushions. Marine grade grease is also a good choice to use.

Definitely made a difference in handling, but has understeer now. New rear bar should make it neutral. I will add to this report when I do it.

Took me about two hours. Used the blues endlink bushings as the black bushings that came with the bar prevented the nut from starting. The black ones must be slightly thicker and are definitely firmer.

The breaker bar shown, not required, but made the job easier.
IIRC, you will need metric wrenches and sockets in 15, 16, 18mm.

Notice the cutout on the supplied shim that came with the bar. There is a bump near the mounting area to avoid.

Pics:
http://pasig.myphotoalbum.com/view_p...front_sway_bar

http://pasig.myphotoalbum.com/view_p...33&id=img_2019

BTW, The original bars are free to whoever wants them. Free delivery within 20 miles of Bethlehem, PA. Or, just pay shipping costs. I will hold on to original bars until the end of June then discard if no one wants them.
Old 06-26-2010, 01:28 PM

Default REAR bar upgrade

Quadratec had the rear bar on back order, automatically shipping it once available. I didn't have to hound them in any manner. Arrived last week. I will be installing it soon.

Addco Rear Sway Bar #420
(For 91-01 Jeep® Cherokee XJ)
http://www.quadratec.com/products/76059_801.htm

I'm not sure if I'll need these parts yet...

Rear End Links
(84-01 Jeep Cherokee XJ)
http://www.quadratec.com/products/56004_07.htm

As of now, the original front bar is available free with new cushion bushings and new end link bushings.

Last edited by trio; 06-26-2010 at 01:34 PM. Reason: added info
Old 06-26-2010, 01:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997, 1999
Engine: 4.0

you failed inspection because of worn out sway bar bushings....seriously? we don't have inspections here (even though we should) so i really didn't know they could fail you because of that. that's a little overboard if they can.
Old 06-27-2010, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by DualSportDad
you failed inspection because of worn out sway bar bushings....seriously? we don't have inspections here (even though we should) so i really didn't know they could fail you because of that. that's a little overboard if they can.
The way it was explained is that even with something as minor as a sway bar, it is a factory installed item that is part of the suspension. Therefore, it must be in good working order. Since fog lights are optional on these from the factory, they either have to work as new, or be removed. So I don't have fog lights right now.

What is funny is that I upgraded the front bar, cushions, bushings, and end links all for the same price that the shop was going to charge just replace the bushings and cushions alone. This shop is normally not a ripoff, just the opposite in fact. I have gotten service that took longer than expected where they worked with me on the pricing in my favor on a couple of occasions. I think that the estimate was just a little off this time, LOL!
Old 06-27-2010, 04:41 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: i-6 4.0

Do they check the rear swaybar also? I thought the upcountry cherokees did not have one stock, or do they check against what is on the exact model you have?
Old 06-28-2010, 07:03 AM

The rear bar was drop shipped directly from Addco to my home.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:21 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1988 limited
Engine: 4.0 litre

Originally Posted by DualSportDad
X2 those bushings are fine to me, they are like this from the factory.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:31 AM

The cushions where bar mounts to body had about 1/16 to 1/8 gap around the bar. You could easily see through the gap and the bar made banging noises while driving. It still functioned, but not well. It is definitely a judgment call on the mechanic's part.

Regardless, there are no more banging noises and Jeep handles the road better now.
Old 07-22-2010, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by EMAXX620
Do they check the rear swaybar also? I thought the upcountry cherokees did not have one stock, or do they check against what is on the exact model you have?
If the rear bar is on vehicle, it must pass inspection. Since rear bars were optional, it can be removed and still pass.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:05 PM

The rear bar upgrade does NOT reuse the original end link. The Addco rear bar #420 includes end links, bushings, and adapter plates.

The axle perch nut is 18mm, the sway bar cushion bolt is 15mm.

I used the single jack method since I didn't want to dig out my jack stands from the basement. Although not difficult, the jack stands would make the job easier. I had to lower the jack to make axle level to allow space for Addco end links to be installed.

I removed the tire, placing it under the Jeep for added safety.

I sprayed PB Blaster on bolts the day before and day of installation to aid in removal. Used a 1/2 breaker bar with a 3/8 adapter since it has a longer handle. The extra leverage was enough to break the nuts loose with ease.

I chose to remove the bar and install the new one from right side of Jeep. Seemed logical and was easy. The new bar will get scratched up if you do this task alone. I had to remove one washer from the Addco endlink as the bolt is just that much too short. Could not get nut started when it was included.

The larger hole on the adapter plate is for the bushings. I mounted mine as shown in pic since if flipped, it did not sit flat on spring perch. In the end, it gets a little rotated to compensate for the misalignment. The red grease is a silicone based product that is not included in the Addco kit.

Take note that the new bar does not have an extra bend for the brake line as the original bar.

Notice the installed bar picture, must be in this manner, avoiding the brake line and e-brake cable on driver's side of Jeep.

The Jeep handles much better with both bars installed. No more rear end rolling through the turns (understeer). Now the Jeep is flatter and leans evenly on curves (neutral handling). The fore and aft rocking when braking also seems to be reduced, an unexpected result.

The pictures for the rear bar installation are added to the same photo album...

http://pasig.myphotoalbum.com/view_a...umName=album33

Notice that pictures have notes included in image and added text in description.

The front and rear bar will be available to anyone until July 31st.

Last edited by trio; 07-23-2010 at 03:11 PM. Reason: spellling;)
Old 07-22-2010, 05:24 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: i-6 4.0

Originally Posted by trio
If the rear bar is on vehicle, it must pass inspection. Since rear bars were optional, it can be removed and still pass.
thanks for the info, wasnt sure as we dont have any inspections here and was curious.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I6

Hate to tell you this but the V8 ZJ sway bar is about the same size as what you bought and can be had at a local pick and pull for around $20-$35. Of course you wouldn't have gotten the rear sway bar or end links with it. Just a little thought for all of us pinching pennies on our budget rigs.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:59 PM

I didn't know the interchangeability before I bought mine. It is what it is, so it's all good to add this info here! I would have loved to have saved the coin for other fixes.

My expectations were exceeded though by upgrading the rear bar also. The XJ definitely handles better with it. The worst my wife's XJ sees is an occasional dirt road. So the bars were meant to improve the road handling, which they have done with good results.