Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

found out why nothing in my hatch worked.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 06:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999 Sport Road Rash Monstaliner
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6 Power Tech Engine
Default found out why nothing in my hatch worked.

Well, the pic speaks for itself. I opened the boot to try and fix the back wiper. After the repair of all but 2 of the wires, the dam thing still doesnt work, lol (sigh)

You know, I don't want to replace the whole harness so I tried cutting out the bad areas and soldering/heat shrinking pretty much every wire back together in hopes that the heat shrink has a little more 'play' than the original wire casing. Seriously, I should rip apart my Celica and see how they did their wiring because that car is a 4 years older and has no issues like this. This happened on the two front doors too.
Attached Thumbnails found out why nothing in my hatch worked.-xj-wire-harness.jpg  
Old 04-18-2014, 08:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

That's ugly.

No, the heat shrink won't have more play. It will be more stiff than the original wiring. You're going to add soldered wires, which aren't flexible, and then heat-shrink over that. That's NOT going to be more flexible.

I'd add in an extra few inches, if I had that mess. And I'd use more flexible wire. That's where the problem is - the quality of the original wire.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:57 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Originally Posted by BlueRidgeMark
That's ugly.

No, the heat shrink won't have more play. It will be more stiff than the original wiring. You're going to add soldered wires, which aren't flexible, and then heat-shrink over that. That's NOT going to be more flexible.

I'd add in an extra few inches, if I had that mess. And I'd use more flexible wire. That's where the problem is - the quality of the original wire.
It's not so much the quality as it is the age, stuff gets brittle over time. The best way to deal with that mess is to cut way back in the harness, and replace the wire with an extra inch or two for stress relief. Then find a rubber grommet for the hole that's in the sheet metal to prevent the wire from chaffing, and a little flexible cable conduit will go a long way the help prevent that in the future...