Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Fog Lights and Switch

Old 12-30-2008, 03:45 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L
Default Fog Lights and Switch

My 99 XJ has no fog lights and no fog light switch. I would love to put in some fog lights. I was just wondering if anything is prewired for the foglights. I see the foglight kits come with wires, and was wondering if there is a harness or something that the wires plug into behind the foglight location. I'm assuming the fog light switch goes into that little blank plastic spot next to the rear window defroster and rear wiper switches, is this correct? If so, do I just need to find a switch for this and will it just click right in?

Also, since I'm looking into and hid conversion for my headlights, should I consider hid for the foglights as well?
Old 12-30-2008, 03:50 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 liter RENIX I-6, DIY Cold Air Intake, 2.5 FM Exhaust, 3 Core Radiator

There is an OEM plug behind your blank off where the OEM foglight switch goes. I grabbed an OEM panel out of a donor XJ that had the OEM foglight switch. I'm not sure how much of the wiring is there in a rig that didn't come with the OEM foglights. I was going to investigate that further after I figure out what kind of foglights, driving lights or off road lights I am going to put on my XJ. They will be operated fromt the OEM switch when I do it, though. If you figure it out before me, let me know.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:22 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Year: 87
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0 I6

Let me know too!
Old 12-30-2008, 11:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7

when i bought my XJ, someone had mounted the fog lights but never wired them.(what really pissed me off was that the guts were missing from one of them) my '92 doesn't have an oem switch. i ran a wire to them from inside the cab, the easiest way i found was through the hood release cutout in the firewall. the XJ firewall is like a tank and has the minimum cuts in it. that is the way i wanted to keep it. just like any other wireing just poke a coat hanger through the fire wall and tape your wire on, and it just came right through. by doing it here, your wire is right in the general vecinity you want it.

i was really pissed when i went to install my new lights and found out that they were a cheap plastic housing and the mounting bolt stripped out the housing when i tried to tighten them up. word to the wise, dont buy the walmart foglights. they were like $20. just save up and buy nice lights.