Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Flat towing issue

Old 02-06-2016, 08:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Flat towing issue

Hooked up my 2001 xj to the motorhome with a tow bar and it wants to steer to the right . Ca n t even go a foot without the wheels turning to the right . Any ideas ? Key is in the rite position. The case is rite position as well. Would wheel alignment cause this ? Thanks in advance for any help .
Attached Thumbnails Flat towing issue-20160206_152858.jpg  
Old 02-07-2016, 08:12 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000
Engine: 4.0

is the tow bar lifting up the front of the jeep somehow? like taking the weight off?

or maybe it's got something to do with the castor on your front end after the lift?

yeah, wheel alignment might have something to do with it. was it aligned after the lift?
Old 02-07-2016, 09:22 AM

Not sure on alignment . I bought it with the lift on it . I'll start there . The guy I bought it from lifted it for looks only.
Old 02-07-2016, 11:01 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

I flat tow my stock 04 WJ behind our 37' Motor Home using a hitch made for the WJ by the tow bar company for towing behind an RV. It is used for a DD once we get to where were going and mild trail use. This tow bar setup also has a fiberglass front shield for the towed car to protect it that folds in the center and goes almost to the top of the WJ and to each side.

When towing the XJ I always put it on a trailer and tow it just in case it gets broken out on a trail a long way from home. We learned the hard way about this a couple of yrs. ago had to go back home early to get a truck and trailer to get it home.
Old 02-07-2016, 11:28 AM

Thanks I don't plan on rock crawling the xj . Just mild trail use.my wife can no longer go crawling or do hard core off roading .this was my old crawler .
Attached Thumbnails Flat towing issue-2012-12-29_11-34-19_546.jpg  
Old 02-07-2016, 12:54 PM

I check the castor angle it at 84* . It should be at 86 1/2 According to some posts on here . Would that be enough to make this happen ?
Old 02-07-2016, 01:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1996

Originally Posted by Madrugador
I check the castor angle it at 84* . It should be at 86 1/2 According to some posts on here . Would that be enough to make this happen ?
I think that's a possibility. Honestly, any problem with the front end will be on full display when trying to flat tow a vehicle. I have towed several Jeeps (they are great "toads") and according to Blue Ox, they always suggested not to tow any vehicle that had previously been in a front end collision. I'm sure they put that in there for liability issues, but still it speaks to the problems that can be caused by anything out of whack in the front. I would start with a proper alignment and work from there. It could be worn suspension parts as well as anything.

Just the fact that it's been lifted puts it at a disadvantage as well I would think. The tow bar should be angled slightly down towards the flat towed vehicle. From looking at your picture it appears that the tow bar is raising slightly towards your XJ. Am I wrong? If that's the case, it's a definite problem as well.
Old 02-07-2016, 01:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

i don't think that's too far out of spec. but just think of a shopping cart with a wonky castor, they get crazy, like death wobble crazy. not that that's whats happening to your jeep, but a little bit may just be enough to want that wheel to go right.

do you still have a steering stabilizer on the jeep? wondering if that will help.
Old 02-07-2016, 01:28 PM

Yep has a steering stabalizer . Driving it there is no death wobble but it died pull a little to the right . Don't think it ever been in an accident. It has a clean title . I think I'll start with the castor and alignment them go from there . Thank you all for the help and input. I'll report back what I find
Old 02-07-2016, 01:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 2015, 2012
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 3.6L

You may end up putting narrower tire on it. If it has 31's right now, they may be steering the vehicle while attempting to tow.

225/75 may be what you end up going to. I used 235/75s on my two XJs with no problem. Your towing assembly seems to be sensitive.
Old 02-07-2016, 03:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by robertj
I think that's a possibility. Honestly, any problem with the front end will be on full display when trying to flat tow a vehicle. I have towed several Jeeps (they are great "toads") and according to Blue Ox, they always suggested not to tow any vehicle that had previously been in a front end collision. I'm sure they put that in there for liability issues, but still it speaks to the problems that can be caused by anything out of whack in the front. I would start with a proper alignment and work from there. It could be worn suspension parts as well as anything.

Just the fact that it's been lifted puts it at a disadvantage as well I would think. The tow bar should be angled slightly down towards the flat towed vehicle. From looking at your picture it appears that the tow bar is raising slightly towards your XJ. Am I wrong? If that's the case, it's a definite problem as well.
I also use a Blue Ox tow bar setup have with our last 3 motor homes and hitch height is a factor in how one tows for sure, but this has a framework that is built for the towed car also dependent on model.

I'm sure that others tow with a regular tow bar as I see them all the time so your main issue may be worn parts and hitch height.
Old 02-07-2016, 06:48 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Spend $800 on a good used tow dolly.......solve your problems today and in the future.
Old 02-07-2016, 07:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by Jeep Driver
Spend $800 on a good used tow dolly.......solve your problems today and in the future.
You should never dolly an xj. That is unless you pull the front driveshaft.
Old 02-07-2016, 08:49 PM

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0L stroked to 4.6

I would bet my bottom dollar it has a bad front wheel bearing on the right side
Old 02-07-2016, 09:35 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by toasterknight
You should never dolly an xj. That is unless you pull the front driveshaft.
Rear DS from the rear differential and strap it up.......as I have done.

Takes about 10 minutes, ZERO drive train wear.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Flat towing issue