Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Is this the Evap Vapor canister?

Old 08-15-2009, 07:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Is this the Evap Vapor canister?

I am trying to get my '99 Cherokee to pass emissions/inspection, it is throwing a ECL light with code p0455 for Evap Leak Large. I changed the gas cap and checked the lines all seem ok...until I started following lines from the tank. They pass into a plastic box mounted to the rear frame/unibody. Is that the vapor canister/charchoal canister? I thought they were up in the engine compartment. If so, I am geussing that if it is smashed open, that might be the problem. Any place online that I can pick one up (besides junk yards/craigslist/ebay -- been there done that)?

Thanks...
Old 08-15-2009, 11:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.o
Cool

Yes that plasticbox is your vapour canistor and if its smashed it will be causing your cel. prob the dealership is going to br the easiest not sure how much$$$
Old 08-15-2009, 11:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 89
Engine: 4.0

I looked up the schematics for your evap system,what it says is.The chorcal canister is located on the right fender well,the item you are refering to is a water vapor seperator. which should be easier to find than a charcoal canister.The vapor seperator will cause the code,if it is as open as you say
Old 08-15-2009, 11:30 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I6

my 00' is behind the bumper on the pass. side. look at all the lines for holes, or cracks. if the lines look good, then try a new gas cap. after a week of searching a new cap fixed mine
Old 08-16-2009, 09:41 AM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L
Cool

Took a better look at it today. The canister is actually mounted to the floor near the drive shaft and rearend in a triangular shaped not-so-protective shield. Looks like the jeep got hung up on something and the shield pulled part of the plastic canister apart. I am gonna try to drop it today but looks like I'll have to snap or cut the bolts off. Danged emissions! I apreciate the help I just wanted to know what the heck it was called before I go junkyard surfing for one.
Old 10-03-2016, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by 19558077
my 00' is behind the bumper on the pass. side. look at all the lines for holes, or cracks. if the lines look good, then try a new gas cap. after a week of searching a new cap fixed mine
Pretty sure you're talking about the vacuum accumulator. That is not a vapor canister
Old 10-03-2016, 08:24 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by kramerica
Took a better look at it today. The canister is actually mounted to the floor near the drive shaft and rearend in a triangular shaped not-so-protective shield. Looks like the jeep got hung up on something and the shield pulled part of the plastic canister apart. I am gonna try to drop it today but looks like I'll have to snap or cut the bolts off. Danged emissions! I apreciate the help I just wanted to know what the heck it was called before I go junkyard surfing for one.
I've never messed with the canister but how badly is it smashed up????

So bad that some extreme temp metal duct tape couldn't hold it together long enough to pass emissions????

Like I said ...... never messed with it so my idea may be totally out in the parking lot behind left field.