Jeep Cherokee Forum

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > OEM Cherokee Tech
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Cherokee Forum!
Welcome to Cherokee Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

submit to reddit

Old 08-12-2009, 12:55 PM   #1

View 00XJCO's Photo Album My Photos
2000 Cherokee
Send a message via AIM to 00XJCO
Default Engine Won't Idle + Dead Battery, Alternator?

Last night I hopped in the Jeep to go out, and my battery was dead. I charged the battery over night and tried to fire it up this morning and it wouldn't run unless I had my foot slightly on the gas, and when I let off it dies.

The last time I drove it was on Sunday night, and it was coming back to town on the highway, and it was running just fine.

Seems to me like the problem is the alternator, but I figured it would be good to get some feedback before I go spend $$$ on one.

-00XJCO

2000 4 Door - RE 3.5" SuperFlex - TreadWright 31x10.50 MT/G - Custom Bumpers - Rock Rails
00XJCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 01:12 PM   #2
CF Veteran

View Abovetimberline's Photo Album My Photos
89 Cherokee

If you have a volt meter and a little help,you can start it and check voltage at battery,it will be approx 14.00 volts if alt is working. That way you know before you pull it out.
Abovetimberline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 01:51 PM   #3

View 00XJCO's Photo Album My Photos
2000 Cherokee
Send a message via AIM to 00XJCO

Oh yeah I forgot to mention - The voltage display on the gages reads just under 12 when I turn the ignition on, and when the engine is running it reads just over 14, so if it's not the alternator, what might be causing this?

2000 4 Door - RE 3.5" SuperFlex - TreadWright 31x10.50 MT/G - Custom Bumpers - Rock Rails
00XJCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 02:02 PM   #4
CF Veteran

View Abovetimberline's Photo Album My Photos
89 Cherokee

That tells me the alt is working, but I would still check it if you can with a volt meter. But it was just fine when you parked it and dead when you went to start it again. Either you have a short,left something on,or battery has had enough. I think you know your xj will not run well without good voltage.
Abovetimberline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 02:31 PM   #5

View jakeyman_i_am's Photo Album My Photos
1996 Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00XJCO View Post
Last night I hopped in the Jeep to go out, and my battery was dead. I charged the battery over night and tried to fire it up this morning and it wouldn't run unless I had my foot slightly on the gas, and when I let off it dies.

The last time I drove it was on Sunday night, and it was coming back to town on the highway, and it was running just fine.

Seems to me like the problem is the alternator, but I figured it would be good to get some feedback before I go spend $$$ on one.

-00XJCO

I'm having this exact problem and others suggested that I clean the throttle body and possibly look at the throttle position sensor.

My post is here.
jakeyman_i_am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 02:31 PM

submit to reddit