Jeep Cherokee Forum

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > OEM Cherokee Tech
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Cherokee Forum!
Welcome to Cherokee Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

submit to reddit

Old 08-12-2010, 09:01 PM   #1
CF Veteran

View phillyxj570's Photo Album My Photos
96 Cherokee
Default engine ticking

when i start my jeep the engine makes a ticking noise while idling...as soon as i give it gas the ticking goes away...but if i come to a stop sign or red light the ticking comes back...until the engine warms up it sounds like it is coming from the front of the engine but i can not pin point it...any help or ideas is appreciated.
phillyxj570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:06 PM   #2

View CHEVY SHOCKW4VE's Photo Album My Photos
Cherokee

mines doing the same thing. i popped the hood and it sounds like its comin from the valve cover. idk if i have a lifter sticking or somehting at idle. hopefully someone can help
CHEVY SHOCKW4VE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:43 PM   #3
Seasoned Member

View 84zmyfavorite's Photo Album My Photos
Cherokee

This is becoming more and more common, especially in the latter year 4.0s, I think because of the reduced levels of zinc/phospherous in 2004 year and later, "Energy Conserving"(5w-20, 0w-30, 5w-30, 10w-30) API SM rated motor oils. The later year 4.0s would most likely have been run on these newer oils most of their life vs. older engines that did get the better protection for flat tappet/camshaft engines like our beloved 4.0s. And 2.5s. But any year 4.0, from 87 to 06 can develop this problem, if driven aggresively on these lower level zinc/phospherous oils. The lower levels of ZDDP dosent offer the High shear protection needed in the camshaft lobe/ lifter contact area and wear occurs, with either the lobe rounding off, or the lifter wearing concave, or both, creating a gap between two when they should always be touching. That gap being made up as the camshaft lobe, when the lobe comes back into contact as the lifter is being rotated towards the lifter is what makes the "Tick, Tick".
84zmyfavorite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 09:21 AM   #4

Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84zmyfavorite View Post
This is becoming more and more common, especially in the latter year 4.0s, I think because of the reduced levels of zinc/phospherous in 2004 year and later, "Energy Conserving"(5w-20, 0w-30, 5w-30, 10w-30) API SM rated motor oils. The later year 4.0s would most likely have been run on these newer oils most of their life vs. older engines that did get the better protection for flat tappet/camshaft engines like our beloved 4.0s. And 2.5s. But any year 4.0, from 87 to 06 can develop this problem, if driven aggresively on these lower level zinc/phospherous oils. The lower levels of ZDDP dosent offer the High shear protection needed in the camshaft lobe/ lifter contact area and wear occurs, with either the lobe rounding off, or the lifter wearing concave, or both, creating a gap between two when they should always be touching. That gap being made up as the camshaft lobe, when the lobe comes back into contact as the lifter is being rotated towards the lifter is what makes the "Tick, Tick".
is their anyway to fix this ones it does it? or should you just rip the top end apart and replace it
Old 08-14-2010, 10:40 AM   #5

View CodeXJ's Photo Album My Photos
1993, 1994 Cherokee

Most people just let them tick. Usually the tick is due to collapsed lifters that aren't fully pumping up, resulting in some play in between the rockers and the pushrods. It's common in higher mileage engines, not just Jeeps in general. The fix is usually to put in new lifters or run a thicker oil. For example, mine sounds like a coffee can full of marbles on 10w30 but is quieter with 10w40. It could, however, also be other things like damaged valves. Usually, if the engine is running fine, people just run thicker oil and keep driving.

1993 White 4-door. Bone stock 2wd, for now.
1994 Red 2-door. Parts rust bucket and 4wd donor.
2008 GSXR-750, black and orange, akrapovic shorty, 6k HID, CRG bar end mirrors, PUIG Windscreen.
CodeXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 12:28 PM   #6
CF Veteran

View djb383's Photo Album My Photos
1998 Cherokee

What in-line engine isn't noisy???? It's a characteristic nature of the beast. The lifters and cam are on the side of the block (noise is easily transmitted) vs being buried deep inside the block as with a V type block. Ticking/clicking is normal for most in-line engines. The Jeep 4.0L only has 55 lbs closed spring pressure.....no extra ZDDP required there.
djb383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 04:17 PM   #7

Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by djb383 View Post
What in-line engine isn't noisy???? It's a characteristic nature of the beast. The lifters and cam are on the side of the block (noise is easily transmitted) vs being buried deep inside the block as with a V type block. Ticking/clicking is normal for most in-line engines. The Jeep 4.0L only has 55 lbs closed spring pressure.....no extra ZDDP required there.
never thought of it that way. my xj is my first car so im used to inline 6's
Old 08-14-2010, 04:17 PM

submit to reddit