Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Emissions light and smog pass in California

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 02:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Lightbulb Emissions light and smog pass in California

I have a 90 Laredo. Been working on getting it roadworthy. Ready to smog but the timer for my emission light expired. Pulled the gear box to shut it off but I need some kind of check engine light to go on then turn off. Can't find a replacement timer. On a budget. Aside from running the wires from the seat belt light to the emission light; anyone got a better idea? Like some kind of reverse relay? Any input is appreciated. This sight has helped me a lot, special thanks to cruiser 54.
Old 07-29-2013, 03:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: AMC242

Check your VECI label. I know that (save 1984-1986) the XJ and MJ were considered "pre-OBD" through 1990, and the YJ may be similar.

At the bottom of the VECI, you'll see whether OBD applies or not. If OBD does not apply, then you don't need a functioning CEL/MIL.

I go through the same hassle getting a RENIX XJ smogged - the "Tech" thinks that, since there's a window for the CEL/MIL, it's got to work. The only cases where there IS a functional CEL/MIL on a XJ through the 1990 model year was 1984-1986, with the Chevvy V6 engine (which AMC bought entire, with the control system, and it was already OBD-I. I think those are the ONLY OBD-compliant vehicles that AMC manufactured!

The VECI is the "Vehicle Emissions Control Information" label. It will be on the firewall, on the underside of the hood panel, or on the front crossmember underhood. It will have a vacuum diagram and basic tune-up settings on it, and the bottom of the label will have 2-3 lines of text that say what standards apply to the vehicle as manufactured (CA/Federal emissions, OBD-I/OBD-II/pre-OBD, &c.)
Old 07-29-2013, 03:53 PM

Default P.s.

Thank you 5-90. Soon as I'm home from work I'll check that out. Thought I looked for that sticker before when doing a vacuum check and couldn't find it, but never hurts to look twice. It is a renix. Could I explain to the smog tech my situation? Haven't been able to check for vacuum label yet.

Last edited by Windsor 90 Laredo; 07-29-2013 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Add more
Old 07-29-2013, 08:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check you under hood label as stated but if your light just says emission maintenance then the smog tech shouldn't care as its not part of the test. The check engine light however is part of the test and might be failed because the tech thinks it should have one especially if it has a cutout but it doesn't light up. Best thing to do is if you know it doesn't have one and its not supposed to then talk to the tech and ask him before he smog's it. I'm a smog tech in California so I know from experience. We have a emission manual and anytime we have a vehicle in question, it tells use what emission systems came on what engine and what years.

Last edited by 854x4; 07-29-2013 at 08:59 PM.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:28 PM

Thank you 85 4x4. From looking up info. And shining a light on the cluster. It has no check engine light. I figured that would make the emission light matter. It runs a lot better after cleaning the grounds. Got a new o2 sensor, new plugs n wires, air filter, fresh oil n filter, fuel filter. Still running a little rich, but haven't added a bunch of new fuel and need to romp it on the road to burn out the crap. I appreciate all the input.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:49 PM

The veci label (staring me right in the face, must've had a brain fart at work) doesn't specify anything about obd1. Just says CATALYST. Should I worry about replacing the crankcase ventilation harness? I don't claim to be a mechanic, just always had vehicles that need work. Not sure where the harness is. My first car was a ****** '53 4x4 station wagon. Haven't had an off road car since. Grew up traveling in jeep Cherokees as a kid though. Love 'em.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

I had to get an 85 3/4 ton Chevy to pass smog once. It had a spot for the check engine light, but it never had one from the factory. The smog guys would not let it pass only because the light did not come on during the bulb check. I ended up wiring the check engine light to the oil pressure light just so it would come on for the bulb check. It passed. But don't tell anybody of what I did.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't worry about the harness unless its cracked or leaking. According to my smog manual the 1990 didn't have a check engine light just the maintenance light so you should be good but like I said you might want to talk to the tech so he knows. I've seen the oil pressure check engine light trick before. Smog comes down to what tech you get and what mood he's in.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 91
Engine: 4.0

So what was the end result? I am having the same problem with my smog tech. Did you wire it to the seat belt light?
Old 09-09-2013, 12:03 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Windsor 90 Laredo
Thank you 5-90. Soon as I'm home from work I'll check that out. Thought I looked for that sticker before when doing a vacuum check and couldn't find it, but never hurts to look twice. It is a renix. Could I explain to the smog tech my situation? Haven't been able to check for vacuum label yet.
It IS a RENIX. RENIX is "pre-OBD."

I should probably find that page in the FSM, scan it, and put it up on my website - I would have a habit of taking the FSM with me whenever I had to deal with the wretched smog crap...

(Know that it's not the idea to which I take issue, but the execution. No incentives, it's just an additional tax that is mostly not paid to the state.)
Old 09-09-2013, 12:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 91
Engine: 4.0

Do you have any printable evidence that supports the pre obd? So I can educate the smog tech.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Here? Does it say OBD Exempt? (it's the On Board Diagnostics that turns on the light. If you are not OBD...you have no light for that.

(thanks again 5-90, I didn't know I had that to point out!)
Attached Thumbnails Emissions light and smog pass in California-102_0838.jpg  
Old 09-09-2013, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by bubbarules1958
Do you have any printable evidence that supports the pre obd? So I can educate the smog tech.
If the tech still gives u guff, tell him to shine off and go somewhere else. "A cheap smog test on Petaluma hill rd. ain't bad. Cheap and they let u keep the car running to help the cat. Gold shield is a no pass no pay, but they were jerks and also kept my truck off for over 45 min. Before the test. My advice is to call around and explain the situation. If u still have trouble. My friend knows a smog tech who understands, and is in Santa rosa
Old 09-09-2013, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by bubbarules1958
Check out smog for less in Novato. They r cheap, and don't give a s!!!! About lights.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:59 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by DFlintstone
Here? Does it say OBD Exempt? (it's the On Board Diagnostics that turns on the light. If you are not OBD...you have no light for that.

(thanks again 5-90, I didn't know I had that to point out!)
That's what it looks like to me!

The presence of the CEL/MIL window is a holdover from the 1984-1986 XJ/MJ with the Chevvy V6-173 engine (which was supplied with GM OBD-I controls.)

That's why you have the window - but there's no bulb in it. It won't do anything if you do, I don't think it's even wired up to anything.

Quick Reply: Emissions light and smog pass in California