Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Electrical: Wipers and headlamps stopped working

Old 04-24-2009, 04:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Unhappy Electrical: Wipers and headlamps stopped working

Hi people. A few months my headlights and windscreenwipers stopped working. I tried to find the fault myself but failed. It was getting dark and rainy, so get help in a workshop. The guy there spend a few hours (and even more of my money) to find the fault. Turned out its was a loose socket in "a black box". I was all happy and its been working fine..until now.
First my wipers stopped working in interval mode. It runs once when switching it on and then stops. If it turn of the wipers before the return they stop in whatever position they are in. Hi and low speed work ok. Washer works fine too.
My headlights have stopped working as well. Same as last time. Its only the normal low beam thats not working. Hi beam works if i hold the switch, but i cant turn it permanently on.

Now, im really crap at electrics (no REALLY!) i can of course follow wires, but so far no luck. Do anyone have and idea about which socket or "black box" the mechanic were referring to? and where to find it?

oh! - '89 Jeep lmt 4.0 L

thanks a lot!
- A
Old 04-24-2009, 05:08 AM

Default update

Ok, i found a "black box" tugged in under the dashboard, drivers side. The socket had disconnected so i....connected it that fixed the wipers....but still no light
Light switch is new (changed that the last time - no effect) and fuses - drivers side looks good.
any suggestions?
Old 04-24-2009, 08:22 AM

Default another update

Ok, i went to the garage that fixed the car last time. They checked their logs and were very helpful. Unfortunately the guy who did the repair wasnt employed there any more. They checekd their logs and came up with the same as i remembered. That black box and new 2 fuses. I have checked the fuses but i must have missed one or two. Can anyone tell me where to look for these right fuses? The schematics in my manual doesnt match the car

Or am i going down the wrong track here? All lights work except driving light and the high beam switch. high beam work if i hold the switch, but turns off when i release it. Wipers work againnow, after fixing the loose plug in the black box underneath the dash/steeringwheel.

any help is much appreciated!
Old 04-24-2009, 09:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 88
Engine: 4.0 HO

Sounds like the plug on the drivers side firewall. I had this problem before to. And same here took me forever to find out were the problem was All you need is a 10mm socket to undue that plug from the back of the fuse block. when it's off check all those connections make sure their clean your gonna see a black tar on it that's normal it supposedly keeps water out. Good luck!
Old 04-29-2009, 08:38 AM

Thumbs up Problem Solved!

Ok i found the problem. Parts of the plug going onto the lightswitch had started to meld. That cause the plastic to isolate the wire (brown/beige) from the switch. I cleaned up the mess and got my lights back