Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Electrical nightmare, think I'll sell it!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 11:06 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0
Default Electrical nightmare, think I'll sell it!

Okay the dash lights haven't worked on this '94 sport since I bought it, the only thing I haven't replaced is the whole cluster. The speedo/odo don't work, but I am getting a code 15 for the check engine light so I plan to replace the sensor. I figured screw it, I'll get some little green L.E.D.'s and hook them up through the back of the cluster for some dash lights, it would be real simple and just wire them into an ACC spot on the fuse block.

Replaced my drivers side door jamb switch earlier and popped a new dome light in, worked perfect.

So tonight I'm testing why I have zero dash lights, no ac/heater lights, no transfer case shifter light (by the handle) etc., and also why my radio is hooked up to direct battery power. When I unplug my stereo harness I lose power to the cig lighter. I'm thinking whatever I'll just leave it like it is. So i test an unplugged wire behind the dash and poof, dome light goes out, no radio, no cig lighter. I checked fuses under the hood, I.O.D. fuse was blown, replaced it and whala! Had power again. Tested another wire and blew the same fuse, replaced it again but now I've got nothing. No radio, no cigarette lighter, no dome light. The fuse under the dash for said components is not blown, but I've got nothing.

I don't want another Cherokee electrical nightmare, is there anything I'm overlooking because if I can't get it working again I'm gonna sell it.

The only thing I did different the second time the fuse blew was take one of the fuses next to it (under the hood) and replace it, so I do have a few missing fuses because I didn't have any mini fuses. But the one that was blown was replaced and now nothing works.

Last edited by Metal Head; 08-26-2012 at 11:08 PM.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Aftermarket head unit? disconnect the dimmer lead.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:15 PM
Former Sponsor

Yes it's an AIWA or something like that. I don't know which wire is supposed to be the dimmer lead.

Addendum: Found the orange and white wire for the dimmer, snipped it, still nothing. I don't think there is any power getting to the radio/cig/dome light fuse at all. No burned wiring or fuses anywhere that I can find.

Last edited by Metal Head; 08-26-2012 at 11:26 PM.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Model: Cherokee

How about the PDC fuses that feed the interior fuse panel?
Old 08-26-2012, 11:42 PM
Former Sponsor

Where are they located? Under the hood? I've checked all those they are all good.

Last edited by Metal Head; 08-26-2012 at 11:45 PM.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:54 PM
CF Veteran

I'd replace the missing fuses and see where you are. Has some previous owner hacked up the electrical system? It sounds like they may have, judging based on the problems you've posted.

Out of curiosity, is your ignition switch good, particularly the accessory "ON" function? How about the headlight switch? (dash light portion- dimmer in particular)
One or both of those failing seems to lead to a good amount of the electrical hackery one runs into, trying to bypass the failed switch.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:01 AM
Former Sponsor

The headlight switch is new. I did not find any weird wiring done from the previous owner exept for a direct wire from the wiper motor to the battery which I removed and wired to an IGN connection on the fuse block. The power and constant 12v wires were spliced for the radio. If I unplug the radio harness I lose power to the cigarette lighter.

I did forget to check the fuse in the back of the radio to see if it's blown.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:24 AM
Former Sponsor

Well after digging deeper I think I may know at least what part of the problem is. I have many fuse terminals that are corroded and broken on the drivers side under dash fuse block. As bad as I hate to I think I'll unbolt the fuse box from the floor and snip all the bad wiring from behind and splice them together with either a fusible link or separate fuse holder. At least half of my fuses are either sitting on badly corroded connections or they are broken and most likely not touching.

Just great.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:28 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Metal Head
At least half of my fuses are either sitting on badly corroded connections or they are broken and most likely not touching.

Just great.
Ouch. I think you just found the problem though. Is there a water leak above?
Old 08-27-2012, 12:37 AM
Former Sponsor

I don't see any evidence of an obvious water leak, but this thing has been wheeled before as a trail only rig so who knows what it's been through.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:43 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001

Get a diagram, FSM, test light and multimeter.
I spent half day yesterday diagnosing my lawn mover, I would prefer diagnosing a car!!!!.