Jeep Cherokee Forum

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > OEM Cherokee Tech
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read GarageVendor DirectoryvBLive TSB & Recalls
Search

Welcome to Cherokee Forum!
Welcome to Cherokee Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

submit to reddit

Old 05-02-2010, 09:14 PM   #1

View 93,2door,xj's Photo Album My Photos
1993 Cherokee
Default door hinge repair ( 2 door)

today i decided to fix my broken hinges, it seems to happen a lot to two door cherokees. first i disconnected the power door locks/windows from the circuit board under the dash. then i unbolted the door and looked at the hinges,the hinges had been pulled away from the unibody,and the hinges we bent to crap, so i took a sledge hammer and bent the hinges back to stock location. after that i disconnected the pcm ( power control module) aka computer, the welder will fry the pcm. next i rewelded the hing and added two pices of thick metal washers to mount the hinges firmly to the unibody. this will hopefully keep the hinges from breaking again. then i went a little crazy with the cookie grinder to smooth things out. a fresh coat of paint the simply bolting everything back together. it worked beautifully! and it looks good aswell! here are some pics of what i did

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/members...first-coat.jpg
http://www.cherokeeforum.com/members...cound-coat.jpg

Last edited by 93,2door,xj; 05-02-2010 at 09:18 PM.
93,2door,xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 09:18 PM   #2

View suzuki squid's Photo Album My Photos
1988 Cherokee

Can you take some that are zoomed out, so you can see at least the edge of the interior of the door opening and such? Mine are weak, you can see the unibody flex when i open them to full open.
suzuki squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 09:29 PM   #3

1993 Cherokee

i am not sure if these pics will help but if you want to do the same thing i did i can talk you through it. http://www.cherokeeforum.com/members...d-out-view.jpg
Old 05-02-2010, 09:38 PM   #4
CF Veteran

View 96Cherokee113's Photo Album My Photos
1996 Cherokee

Looks pretty sturdy. My door pretty much fell off the other day. I opened it and it made bad, bad noises. I took a look and the only thing keeping it together was one small tack weld. So I went to my buddy's house and we goobered on some more welds to hold it till I can take the door off and replace the hinge. The PO "fixed" it by just goobering on a whole bunch of welds with an arch welder. My hinge needs to be replaced and I think I may do something similar to what you did with the washer to keep it rigid. Good job

My Build
96Cherokee113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 10:20 PM   #5

1993 Cherokee

thanks! when i did mine the top hinge was almost torn off leaving a big hole in the unibody,so i had to do somthing to keep it from happening again. my door check was bad and the wind took the door.( this was before i bought it)
Old 05-02-2010, 10:20 PM

submit to reddit
Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > OEM Cherokee Tech