Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Door Controls Jeep Cherokee 4x4 4.0 Liter Straight Six

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 06:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 Straight 6
Default Door Controls Jeep Cherokee 4x4 4.0 Liter Straight Six

I need help with this. Geze Louise!!!! I had an issue I decided to finally tackle today. When it got hot outside, the effing door locks would just go nuts! Like a kid hammering the door controls. When this happens, the passenger side window would not roll down or up. Door locks would not work. At night, when cool, they would work just fine. During the day though, driving down the freeway, the door locks lost their mind and would go all over the place at pitch. Low, then medium, then high (RPM's of the lock motors). I can get it to stop by hitting the passenger side panel by the controls with a box wrench. Sometimes. I want to find and buy new control panels for the ghastly electrical controls, but do not know where to go for that. Can anyone direct me? Thank you for your time!!!!

Last edited by cruiser54; 02-15-2016 at 10:27 PM.
Old 02-15-2016, 07:17 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

LMAO---you've got to take the door off, and get to the passenger side control. Look for any loose or broken wires going to the control on the harness....after verifying your wires look good unplug the harness and remove the control. Then solder all the joints on the circuit board. The relays on that board control everything. Hopefully it's just a cold solder joint. If not you can buy a new passenger side control.

if that doesn't do it you might have a broken wire. Light blue wire with a red strip,if I remember correct will make them go nuts. They usually break inside the boot in the door jam, but it sounds like your problem is the control board.

Last edited by mikesignal; 02-15-2016 at 07:22 PM.
Old 02-15-2016, 07:55 PM

I already beat that panel to **** with a box wrench. I did find the master controller and the passenger side one too on Amazon. I did not pull the trigger on them just yet though. I want to check a few more suppliers. Nice to know I can get it outside of a junk yard though. Hey! My driver side panel is off too because I am working on the piece of crap window regulators they installed in this fine Jeep of mine. Some of the screws are now missing. Where can I go to get more? There HAS to be a place. I want to replace the door panels completely, and the piece of hardware that keeps the door open when it passes the halfway point of being opening. It's an arm-looking piece of hardware. Hell... is there a place to get everything related to the door except the door? Thank you sir!!
Old 02-15-2016, 10:28 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

Thanks for your post.

We’re here to help, but you must understand that all Jeeps are not the same.
In order for us to give you more accurate advice and help, we must know the following, as applicable, along with detailed information as to the symptoms/problems etc:

Year
Model
Engine
Transmission
Transfer case
Old 03-12-2016, 04:08 PM

There is so many electrical and vacuum issues with my Jeep to tackle, but I decided instead to just finish a broken system and then move on to the next. It has been awhile since I started this thread, but I am finally fixing the door lock/ window control issue this weekend. I bought replacement controllers for the driver side and passenger side. But to get the doors right, at least inside, I have a few more issues.

The arm rest leather covers have peeled off and have no idea how to remount them. I would rather replace the whole interior door panels for both sides. Any thoughts?
Old 05-04-2016, 11:26 AM

I fixed the door locks. I just replaced the controllers and all is good. Now I moved on to replacing the window regulator on the driver side and hit a snag. The Dorman 741-768 I got on Amazon did not include hardware for mounting to the glass. I have no idea where I put it when I hard-mounted the glass with a piece of solid oak (lol). Should I start another thread? Yeah, I guess since this one is named "Door Controls". Another thread coming. Thanks again for the help and direction!