Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Dome lights won't switch off when door closed

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Cool Dome lights won't switch off when door closed

94 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Unless I remove the 20 fuse from under the hood, the dome light won't go off when I turn off the jeep, which of course, causes the battery to go dead after a few hours. I've removed the fuse, replaced the fuse, removed the new fuse, to no avail. Anyone know what to do?
Thanks!
Old 09-12-2009, 06:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

First did the switch on the dash accidentally get turned ON, the slider that dims the cluster lights? Is on of the door switches messed up? On mine they would get pushed in over time, PITA, I would have to tape coin to the door so that the switches would make contact. Finally just unplug all the door switches.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:00 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO

Yeah either you have it switched on manually on the dash or one of the door switches is bad.

Mostly likely the drivers door since it gets the most use un plug each one until it goes off to find which one is bad.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:09 PM

Year: 1995

I have this problem as well. If you just unplug the door switch will it cause the light to go off, if I get the bad one. In other words, if I were to unplug all of them, in theory, would the light go off? I am tryin to trouble shoot which switch is bad.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:11 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000

yes by uplugging the door jam switches one by one you will find you bad switch.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by jeepxjho
yes by uplugging the door jam switches one by one you will find you bad switch.
Awesome, thanks! I will be working on that tomorrow after figuring out the wiring for the new front header panel.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Engine: 4.7L V8

Also, someone might have turned on the interior lights by pressing the lense on the rear cargo compartment overhead light. Try pressing that to see if that turns them off. I did that before and nearly went crazy until I remembered that I had turned them on in the rear.
And hey EDITOR, Welcome to CF.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:53 PM

Thanks! Where are the door switches and how do you unplug them? I'm pretty sure it is the driver's door, because the lower hinge recently broke and I had to have it welded so the door would close. Pretty inconvient to tie it shut with a bungy and climb over from the passenger door. Would like to fix it so I can have tunes and heat, that same fuse controls the heat and radio and clock and temperature (everything up the center).
Editor
Old 09-12-2009, 09:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Engine: 4.7L V8

It's the plunger-type thing in the door jam/cowl area. Pull the kick panel trim off and the wiring going to the switch is easy to feel.
Old 09-13-2009, 02:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996

You'll see a small button switch, spring loaded, near where the door hinges are. You can take it off from the outside, and pull it out a bit to see the wires. Ohm the switch out to test its functionality.

On a related note, does anyone know how the wires for the door switches/dash switch work with the dome light? I've been tripping the fuse for the dash, dome, and taillights when I use the switch on the light switch, even after replacing the switch. I gave up trying to follow the wires, and went to run new wires, when I found out that neither of the wires going to the bulb are ground. One is hot, one is not, but it is detached from ground.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:19 AM

Default Where is the dome light switch on the rear door

I have a 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee. When i am driving the dome lights keep going off and on. All the door switches are fine. I can't find the switch on the rear door to check it. Does anyone know where it is?
Old 12-28-2009, 11:18 AM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0I6

i had a zj and my dome would stay on when i closed the doors , it turned out to be the passanger side door plunger was set to far back , i rolled up a peice of card board and taped it over the plunger and it worked fine
Old 12-28-2009, 02:36 PM

Engine: 4.0L

no thread jack but sometimes i hit bumps and my interior light flicker on and off wehn driving. any ideas on this one???
Old 01-28-2011, 07:38 AM

Year: 1997
Engine: 5.2L
Smile Jeep Interior Lights Don't Turn Off

I just resolved the problem with the interior lights staying on when the doors are closed on my 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

With the help of a mechanic friend, he found that the momentary switch on the passenger side door key cylinder had become detached. The retaining clip was missing.

Using a thin piece of welding wire he made a new clip, installed the switch and everything is perfect. A new switch is $40 to $60 but I couldn't wait for the dealer to get it.

I had been chasing this problem for three weeks. With his help it was resolved in 5 hours and a lot of investigation.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:17 PM

Year: 2001

i drive a 01 jcsport and my interior lights are doing the same although im 80% positive the problem is coming from the trunk... any ideas on what to do? im really not wanting my jeep to die overnight and not start in the morning before work... i checked all the doors switches a few times today and they are working fine. I would much rather just disconect the fuse all together but electrical is not my thing at all,

Quick Reply: Dome lights won't switch off when door closed