Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

DEATH WOBBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 05:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default DEATH WOBBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!

1999 j.c..............40+miles n hr.:when i hit a pot-hole ect..it begins to shake really,really bad...thought i was gonna loose controll on the hwy......what is it,n how can i fix the prpblem???? Please help....thanks,ddayii
Old 04-30-2010, 05:51 PM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0L straight six HO

hi if you find anything out about this could you let me know also. when my jeep hits same speed the steering scared the **** out of. i would really like to be able to fix it soon. so i can not worry about runnin other cars off the road.
Old 04-30-2010, 05:51 PM

Year: 1997

Try the search function.

Last edited by Beer; 04-30-2010 at 05:56 PM. Reason: type-o
Old 04-30-2010, 05:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: I6 4.0L

Try searching "bump steer"
Old 04-30-2010, 06:37 PM

Year: 1996

If you are lifted i would say go to a adjustable track bar and do a pitman arm drop. I have the same problem and that is what everyone has told me. I am goin to do another 2in on top of my 3in lift and im goin to upgrade those 2 things and some other things as well.
Old 04-30-2010, 06:42 PM

Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0 Ltr I6

if your jeep is lifted. to prevent this. you need to have a drop pitman arm. and a adjustable track bar for your lift.

those 2 things will fix the death wobble or pump steer. and their both pretty cheap. depending on where you get them you can get both for under 100 bucks each.

any jeep lifted over 2 inches will have a death wobble/bump steer and should upgrade these two objects.
Old 04-30-2010, 06:54 PM

Man I fought DW wobble for a while. If you are lifted you will need a drop pitman arm and a adjustable track for sure. I went ahead and changed out my upper and lower control arms also. Check all your front end parts too. Ball joints, control arm bushings,tie rods ect. Also you might need to have it aligned.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:26 PM

Default thanks!!!

i just wanted to thank everyone who replied to my post. I'm "FIRED UP" that,alot of kats out there are passionate about....JEEPS!!! I'll let you all know how it goes,I'm greatfull for ya reading my post,and for the suggestions. I pray it's not to expensive,or difficult.
thanks again,...and.....GOD BLESS!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-30-2010, 07:28 PM

Year: 1992
Engine: Straight 6

Mine was doing the death wobble after I lifted it so I took it to the shop they said I need a front end alignment, tire balancing, and new stearing stabilizer.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:33 PM

the steering stabilizer wont fix the death wobble it will just mask it. so if its not that bad of a wobble a new stabilizer will just make it hardly noticeable.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:56 PM

Year: 1992
Engine: Straight 6

hmmm they took it for a drive an thats what they told me so its in the mail to me I asked if it was the track bar an he looked an **** an said it was fine
Old 04-30-2010, 07:57 PM

Engine: I6

the pitman arm needed is the one that says for a lift right?
Old 04-30-2010, 07:59 PM

both pitman arm and track bar needs to be upgraded when you lift. and i suggest to buy a adjustable track bar. always the best way.
Old 04-30-2010, 08:55 PM

i had a broken leaf that was temporally fixed with clamps, but when i would hit a decent bump on the highway it would try to kill me. i know it was the leaf because if you got off the throttle it would go away, but if you stayed in the throttle it would just continue. this was at stock height as well.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:49 PM

Year: 1987

Death wobble is never fixed with a single simple answer. Every xj is different and every situation is different. The entire suspension must be examined to determine the cause of the wobble. Continuing to drive with the death wobble will damage other suspension components.

1. Did you do anything recently that led to the DW? for example adding a lift, changing tires, hitting a curb at 60 mph ect, even a large pot hole.

2. Jack up the vehicle and place it on 4 jackstands, 2 in the front and 2 in the back so the entire vehicle is elevated and all four tires are off the ground.

3. Grab each wheel and shake it to check for movement in your ball joints.

4. Check your steering components. and replace parts if needed.

5. Check track bar for play using your hands or a small hammer. Also have someone sit in the drivers seat and turn the wheel while you watch the suspension. Check all other parts in photo that are not covered in the video.

6. Check all rims front and back for dents and make sure that no wheel weights have fallen off since tire balancing. (my ZJ hit a pothole once that bent the rim and cause that tire to be off-balance)

7. Check your alignment
http://www.jeep-xj.info/HowtoAlignment.htm

8. Move to the rear and visually inspect your leafs for damage. Try to move leaf springs by hand or with a pry bar to check bushings.

9. Check wheel bearings

If you have a lifted jeep you do not necessarily need new control arms or a drop pitman arm. You only need a drop pitman arm if your drag link and track bar are not parallel and if lowering the drag link will make the angles closer.
Control arms will affect caster but most lift kits come with the appropriate control arms. A steering stabilizer is not even needed on a jeep with proper alignment and in good running condition.

DW can be caused by any one of these issues and i have probably missed some more causes. Check your jeep over carefully and replace parts as needed. No sense in just throwing new parts at DW.

Good Luck and hope this helps
-Mike

Quick Reply: DEATH WOBBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!