Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Dashboard issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 07:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Default Dashboard issue

Hi all! So I'll just jump right in and ask about this problem, since I searched around and found some similar issues but nothing quite like it...

My Cherokee sport (2001, 4WD, 6V in-line) has been running ok, although I had a problem with the battery last month ... I live in San Diego and I think corrosion is playing its tricks on me.

In any case, I was driving the other night and all of a sudden the radio died. I then noticed that all the gauges were dead and the mileage (digital) was gone. You know when you move the switch to "on" before starting the car and you have all the clicking noises and the needles move to indicate whatever they are measuring? That doesn't happen now. The dashboard light does work, however.

I thought there might be a relay or something associated with the dashboard and the instruments but I googled it and haven't been able to come up with anything.

I would like to fix it so at least I can know how much gas I have left!

I checked out some fuses (the ones inside the cabin) but they were fine and I actually didn't expect those to be the problem... but I don't have a diagram for that fuse box so I don't know if maybe the relays there are the cause?

In any case, any help or suggestion would be much appreciated.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:17 PM

Engine: i6

I gotta say it v-6 in-line
Old 01-22-2009, 07:48 PM

bahahaha... yes, correct. That's what I meant.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:28 AM

Bumpity bump...

No one has any suggestions on the issue other than to avoid my dyslexia?

BTW, car just died yesterday and I'm pretty sure it's battery-related. I don't think that when I replace the battery it will solve the dashboard issue but certainly will update if it does!
Old 04-28-2011, 06:05 AM

Year: 1999. 254K MILES!
Engine: 4.0L I6 242

Dillon, is there any such thing a a V-6 INLINE? My 4.0 is a straight 6, also called an inline 6. See

Gavilan, I browsed your post to see if it had anything in common with the dashboard problems others have reported (the same one plaguing my '99 Cherokee). Yours seems to actually involve 2 issues, whatever may be wrong with your battery/charging system, and then the dash problem will be there to drive you crazy. Please be sure to post your results!

Last edited by ShoeFlyShoe; 04-28-2011 at 06:10 AM.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:11 PM

Wow, ShoeFly, talk about bringing back a thread from the dead.

I actually now don't quite remember how I solved the issue. I went back and looked at my notebook where I keep track of everything I've done to the jeep and it seems like in Feb 2009 I took it to Kragen to test the battery and the guy was suggesting that the alternator was kicking the bucket and was trying to sell me one (Which I didn't buy right then and there). Later that day as I was changing the oil I decided to change the cable endings that connect to the terminals on the battery and it seems like that fixed any sort of 'not very complicated' problem I may have had because I didn't write anything else about it until August of that same year when I took it to a shop and the guy (and I quote myself from my notes here) "took care of the electrical gremlin (related to a nail pushed through the chasis on the driver's sun visor (?))".

I should write better notes...

On the plus side, I haven't had to mess with the electrical system since.