Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Dash Work - What Would You Recommend I need?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Straight Six
Default Dash Work - What Would You Recommend I need?

Hey guys! Been awhile since I posted.

I have numerous behind-the-dash issues and getting ready to pull it and fix a lot of stuff.

What would you recommend I order and have before I take that awful plunge?

Reason for this is the need to replace the heater core and I have a bad ground issue somewhere. The dash goes dark (instruments go to zero) and a hit on the dash fixes it. Duct work is awful, air vents are falling apart (not a pull dash issue but still). What controls hot and cold air channeling is shot. Expensive alarm unit sitting in there not hooked up, etc etc.

Any thoughts or suggestions on what to replace or upgrade while I am in there would be so GREATLY APPRECIATED!! I don't want to put it all back together and find, down the road, that I snap my fingers and say "damn, I should have done that when the dash was off".

Scared to death of this though. So much that I think I'll pay for help with this. My baby deserves a skilled hand at this. But it's needed and overdue.

Anyway, advice about whatever kits I should get and hardware to take care of while in there would be very helpful. THANK YOU for your time!!!

Oh, Jeep Cherokee Sport 98 4x4 4.0 liter straight six. YEAH! I LOVE THAT ENGINE!
Old 02-07-2016, 01:47 AM
CF Veteran

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Year: 01, 99, 98, 98,98
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Contemplating wether to tear into mine to do heater core as well. Was thinking of insulating ductwork and whatever of the firewall I can. Possibly spray with something rubberish. Not sure if there would be clearance for this 1/8 thick stuff.
Attached Thumbnails Dash Work - What Would You Recommend I need?-image.jpg