Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Dash panel removal help

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 09:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Dash panel removal help

First off, I'm Justin from Geist/Fishers area NE of Indianapolis. I bought my Jeep to replace my 95 M3 which replaced the automotive love of my life, my currently non-running 93 Stealth ES (R.I.P.). It's a 96 Cherokee Country.

I'm new to this forum, but not new to forums or their etiquette. I've done a couple of searches but found nothing that helps.

I'm trying to install my head unit in place of the factory am/fm/cassette and I've managed to loosen the panel but cannot completely remove it. I tried to take apart the steering column case (removed the hex screw from the bottom center) but I also cannot remove the casing... there seem to be two fasteners or two other hex screws... I can't tell which, they appear to be clogged with dirt making any kind of pattern indiscernible. I noticed there's a gap around the steering column in the dash panel, so I figure it should slide right out... but with some gentle, and then tough maneuvering, however; nothing doing.

To the point, how do I remove this dash piece so I can operate freely?!

Last edited by stealthes13; 04-03-2008 at 09:36 PM.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:39 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Model: Cherokee

It is held on by plastic clips, it should just pop off with enough force.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:56 PM

I've gotten it that far, removed the two screws above the tac and speedo and popped it loose, but i can't completely remove it. I've tugged up, tugged right and left but i can't get it up around the steering column. The has about a 3"-4" deep top that prohibits me from maneuvering too much. Maybe I'll just give it a go again tomorrow after work.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:20 PM

ttt
Old 04-05-2008, 10:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

once the screws are out it pops off easily, its all about the technique. alternate back and forth, sliding the top edge out a bit, then pull the panel out at the bottom along the steering coumn, then pull the top out a bit more, etc, working back and forth til it pops free. reverse process for reinstallation. hope this description makes sense.