Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Dana 30 Whine after flooring it

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 01:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L HO
Default Dana 30 Whine after flooring it

I have a quick question and I'm hoping the answer isn't "gotta change out your pinion bearings" because if that's the case I'll just find a $200 axle on craigslist and swap out the whole thing before I mess with anything inside a diff.

So, as my story goes, I had a somewhat violent disagreement with my father outside of my house , which is at a cul de sac. As I was leaving, I had to turn out of the cul de sac, but I also floored it because I was pissed off. So, in a nutshell, I floored the jeep while the front steering was nearly at full lock (lucky I didn't roll it ) After that, the whole ride over to my buddy's house it was making a whining noise that seemed to correspond with wheel speed and not the engine. I literally just changed my rear diff fluid yesterday, and the sound seemed like it was coming from the front, so I'm a little worried.

Mainly, I was just wondering if anyone else here has done something stupid similar to what I did and if so, what did you have to do to fix any binding/noise issues.... Thanks in advance, I'll be sitting back with a beer nursing the giant lumps on my head
Old 04-16-2014, 02:50 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Does the noise change when you turn left or right? If so it's possibly a damaged wheel bearing.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L HO

Unfortunately, no, the noise doesn't change when I turn left or right, it's just sort of constant and it directly correlates with the speed of the wheels, not my rpms, also I replaced the hub assembly on the passenger side very recently with a timken hub.

I'm really hoping it's just u-joints or low diff or tc fluid, and I didn't blow out my pinion bearing or a carrier. Due to the endless tinkering involved with regearing, if it's really a problem inside my diff I'll just scout craigslist for a front d44 or a d60 (I've been wanting to go full width for a while anyway)

So today I'm going to go jack up the front and check for play in the wheels to see if it's the bearing, get under there and wiggle all the u-joints and cv joints, etc. I'll keep you posted, but if anyone else has had a similar experience feel free to share. Thanks in advance for any help.