Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Damn jeep! p0305 code, gas tank gurgaling?

Old 10-07-2009, 10:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Damn jeep! p0305 code, gas tank gurgaling?

So a little info, I've got a 1998 cherokee sport with 187,000miles lifted 3" with cut fenders on 33x12.5tsls, magnaflow cat and dynomax catback,k&n fipk cold air intake.

since i've had the jeep cold starts usually meant the motor had to crank a bit before it would start, not crazy long but a little bit longer than after it's been run.

one day i went fishing and when i parked the jeep and got out i heard a gurgaling sound in the tank. I tried to start the jeep and it just cranked and cranked, I gave it a minute break than tried again and it fired right up and never did it again.

today on my way home from work i feel the jeep missing and jerking, i get home park than go back and start and the check engine light jumped on(misfire in cylinder#5)p0305, I drove the jeep anyway and it didnt seem like it was missing when id give it a hard throttle only when cruising around 2000rpm would it feel like it was missing, and i noticed that everytime i shut the jeep off i hear the girgaling sound in the gas tank again.

Has anyone ever had this problem? does it sound like my fuel pump is taking a crap on me or is it something else? this thing is my daily driver and i need to fix it asap so it doesn't completely **** out on me this winter, please help.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:44 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2008 JKU (my XJ is long gone)
Engine: 3.8

I would say fuel pump and the check valve that goes with it. I have the same problem. It's my understanding that the check valve and pump are in the same unit so I am looking to replace mine b4 winter as well. Until then I just cycle the key on and off 2 or 3 times to let the pump send fuel back to the motor and then it starts just fine. HTH
Old 10-08-2009, 06:04 PM

how would cycling the key help with my cylinder#5 misfire? I understand it would help the cold start but im alright with a rough cold start, that misfire is the killer. I also don't understand how a bad fuel pump/check valve could make just 1 cylinder miss and not the other 5?
Old 10-08-2009, 06:17 PM

Year: 98
Engine: 4L

Mine has been doing the gurgles too
Old 10-08-2009, 06:20 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2008 JKU (my XJ is long gone)
Engine: 3.8

It could be that it only threw the code for one cylinder. The gurgling sound is just from the fuel draining back into the tank from your lines because of the check valve. You could have gotten some junk sucked in your pump causing your pump to start failing and maybe the check valve is stuck open or shot. Have you checked your plugs and wires and such? It could just be a co-incidence that 2 things are going bad at the same time!
Old 10-08-2009, 06:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1988 limited
Engine: 4.0 litre

THE FIX.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Unive...rcraftQ5fParts
Old 10-08-2009, 07:06 PM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee
Cool

Originally Posted by dtaylor21
how would cycling the key help with my cylinder#5 misfire? I understand it would help the cold start but im alright with a rough cold start, that misfire is the killer. I also don't understand how a bad fuel pump/check valve could make just 1 cylinder miss and not the other 5?
Sometimes things happen in two's or three's. Miss fire is not related to the check valve failing they just started acting up at the same time. When was your last tuneup? Could be just a fouled plug or bad wire.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:48 PM

Year: 1996+1994
Engine: strait 6

How hot does it get where you live. VaporLock could be a part. It would explain the not starting after being run and also the gurglin in the tank. As for the misfire it could possibly not be getting fuel in that cylinder due to the vaporlock. Only my two cents as ideas
Old 10-08-2009, 09:21 PM

Year: 98
Engine: 4.0L

My xj makes this gurgling noise right after I shut the engine off but only makes the noise if the gas tank is full after a few miles of driving no more gurgling.There was a recall on this noise back in the day.I wouldn't think it wil cause your engine to skip though.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:30 PM

Come to think about it, the past couple times ive heard the noise it's been right after ive filled the tank. im in jersey, its only like 70s if that right now. and it starts right up after being run, it is when I first start it for the day it cranks a little more.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:27 AM

I tried cycling my key just now and the jeep started the same way it always does when its cold. and it seemed to run fine, I pulled the plug wire from cylinder 5 while it was running and it started missing, replaced it and ran fine, i got in the jeep held the rpms at 2000rpm still ran fine, held the brakes put it in gear and held the rpms at 2000rpm and it ran fine still, this damn thing is killing me. after i get these brakes figured out im gonna take the jeep back to autozone clear the code and see if it comes back.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:35 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 liter

yea when i stop my jeep i hear a gurgeling sound and its coming from the rear driver side in the back.... what is the problem
Old 10-12-2009, 04:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by jeepride
My xj makes this gurgling noise right after I shut the engine off but only makes the noise if the gas tank is full after a few miles of driving no more gurgling.There was a recall on this noise back in the day.I wouldn't think it wil cause your engine to skip though.
My 98 also gurgles after a fill up.
Looked up recall and could not find anything on this.
One fuel issue is for right hand drive and the other is for aftermarket fuel replacemnt parts not able to handle gasoline (DUH).
Anyone else have an idea?
BTW it runs perfectly. Actually got 24 MPG on a recent highway trip.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:16 PM

This is more for my miss than the gurgaling.

I ran the jeep, pulled the plug wire off of cylinder 5 and it started running ****ty automatically, put the plug wire back on and back to running smooth again so I'm back to thinking its a fuel issue.
I also tried the on off on off on off on method and it started exactly the same was as if i was to just start in on the first turn.