Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

crank with no start

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l
Default crank with no start

2000 Jeep Xj Sport 4.0L AW4
172,xxx miles

Cranks but will not start. ASD relay clicking, and no fuel pump prime.
items replaced: ECM, Battery, battery cables, Crank position sensor, cam position sensor, ignition coil, relays, fuses, fuel pump...

I hit a bump going around a right hand turn and the Jeep shut off and wouldnt start back up.

any ideas? this is my DD and cannot afford any more time with it not running.
Thanks in advance
Old 01-21-2017, 06:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Somebody will know better than me. Suggest you be darn sure it's not a fuse. The bump might have shorted something. The Mini fuses mater allot...All I got Bro, best of luck.
Old 01-22-2017, 09:49 AM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

When you turn the key on, do the fuel gauge and voltage gauge appear to be reading normally?

Chase down the "no fuel pump prime" first. Start from the pump, and find out what is causing that not to happen. That should happen even if other things like ASD, or CPS are bad. If there is no fuel pump prime, there is a distinct possibility that the fuel pump is never coming on at all.

Ideally, you'll need a fuel pressure test gauge, a multi-meter, and a perhaps a test light to troubleshoot this type of crank-no-start condition. Do you have, and know how to use these tools? If not, you should go to a mechanic or at least a friend that knows how to use these tools (since it is your DD and need it quickly).

Last edited by jordan96xj; 01-22-2017 at 09:54 AM.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:09 AM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Originally Posted by THE_CHIEF
any ideas?
My first bet is on a wiring issue but, any codes?
Old 01-22-2017, 01:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 6 cylinder

Did you replace all those 'items' before or after hitting that engine killing bump?
If after, could be a loose not properly seated connector with one of those changed items. I'd double check them all.
Is the replacement CPS Mopar?
ASD relay 'clicking' continually?

FWIW,
I have the same year xj as you.
Ran and started great before i stored it for a few weeks in my garage. It started right up and i drove it from the garage into my barn where i was gonna change oil.

Now there is about a 2" vertical step up onto the concrete floor of the barn. I remember hitting that bump hard. Made it in and parked it in the barn but when i tried re-starting, crank but no start.
No codes thrown, no CEL, no fuel prime, gauges seemed normal as did the cluster test. Turned out to be the original 280k mile CPS.

Wouldn't be the first time a brand spanking new CPS or other part was bad out of the box.
If its not a bad changed part, then i agree with the others, probably a wiring or connector problem.
Throwing numerous parts at a problem and not methodically trouble shooting it just adds more confusion factors.
Old 01-22-2017, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by jordan96xj
When you turn the key on, do the fuel gauge and voltage gauge appear to be reading normally?

Chase down the "no fuel pump prime" first. Start from the pump, and find out what is causing that not to happen. That should happen even if other things like ASD, or CPS are bad. If there is no fuel pump prime, there is a distinct possibility that the fuel pump is never coming on at all.

Ideally, you'll need a fuel pressure test gauge, a multi-meter, and a perhaps a test light to troubleshoot this type of crank-no-start condition. Do you have, and know how to use these tools? If not, you should go to a mechanic or at least a friend that knows how to use these tools (since it is your DD and need it quickly).
No gauges read properly, none of them even register. I'll obtain those tools and check it out. thanks
Old 01-22-2017, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by moparado
Did you replace all those 'items' before or after hitting that engine killing bump?
If after, could be a loose not properly seated connector with one of those changed items. I'd double check them all.
Is the replacement CPS Mopar?
ASD relay 'clicking' continually?

FWIW,
I have the same year xj as you.
Ran and started great before i stored it for a few weeks in my garage. It started right up and i drove it from the garage into my barn where i was gonna change oil.

Now there is about a 2" vertical step up onto the concrete floor of the barn. I remember hitting that bump hard. Made it in and parked it in the barn but when i tried re-starting, crank but no start.
No codes thrown, no CEL, no fuel prime, gauges seemed normal as did the cluster test. Turned out to be the original 280k mile CPS.

Wouldn't be the first time a brand spanking new CPS or other part was bad out of the box.
If its not a bad changed part, then i agree with the others, probably a wiring or connector problem.
Throwing numerous parts at a problem and not methodically trouble shooting it just adds more confusion factors.
I hit a bump and when i got the Jeep home i replaced the CPS with a MOPAR one- no change. It sat for a week then i messed around with the relay box itself, oput the jeep in neutral and the jeep started. i drove for 3 days then under the same circumstances the jeep shut off around a right hand turn after hitting a bump. The ASD relay clicks continually with the key on and the evap purge solenoid made a click as well. if i put my finger on the solenoid i could feel the click too. Furthermore, if i disconnect the purge solenoid i get a no bus on the dash alongside a CEL. The computer wont allow me to check the code either. I checked every connector from the engine bay to the rear of the jeep and everything was seated properly. I agree with Turbo X_J, i think its a wire grounding out and causing a system short.