Jeep Cherokee Forum

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > OEM Cherokee Tech
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Cherokee Forum!
Welcome to Cherokee Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

submit to reddit

Old 10-04-2010, 04:05 PM   #1

View Crunch's Photo Album My Photos
2000 Cherokee
Default Coolant turning black?

I changed my sons whole cooling system out about 2 months ago. WP, T-stat, all hoses, rad cap, and radiator. Did a flush first because it was all orange and looked like a watery baby crap, super nasty. Changed everything out. Runs just below 210* even on 90+* days... Just checked it today, and the coolant is blackish, not green. No thickening or goopy look to make me think it is oil. Still running at the same temps no issues yet.
Does have some black gritty sandy stuff on the bottom of the rad cap.
Anyone ever seen this? Is it just from all the new hoses? Or maybe some of the junk was still in there and just reacted with the new coolant and the distilled water?
No issues with oil or trans fluid, so I'm not leaking anywhere that I can tell? WTH?

2000 Xj- 3.5" lift w/RC springs & an extra iso, Wj ca's JK rubi shocks, HP30 & 8.25 w/4.10's
Totaled- Kinda built '99 2 Door Xj Was near perfect
Sold- Built '98 TJ-RK LA's 4.88's ARB's, Kilby skids.....
Sold-Built '98 ZJ-HP30 8.8 4.10's 33's
Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 04:44 PM   #2
CF Veteran

View whowey's Photo Album My Photos
90 Cherokee

Two ideas come to mind.

One it is still crap out of the block and cooling system. With rusty nasty coolant, that means that the corrosion protection had broken down. That could be residue of that mess.

Also someone could have dumped stop-leak into it one time, and you are seeing some of that coming out.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:47 PM   #3

View 00XJ49's Photo Album My Photos
2000 Cherokee
Send a message via MSN to 00XJ49

If the coolant before was really old, it could have just been crap that got knocked loose from the flush. Drain and re-fill, see if it comes back.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:14 PM   #4

View trailsend.lake's Photo Album My Photos
1996 Cherokee

i have seen some additives turn the coolant black, like stop leak, rislone, alumaseal,prestone to name a few. it could still be in your block.powerflush, drain and fill again, it should take care of it
Old 10-04-2010, 06:45 PM   #5
Seasoned Member

View theangler's Photo Album My Photos
1991 Laredo Cherokee

I'm with these guys, if you're not overheating, it sounds like just crud in the system... Keep cycling coolant through (or just water for now if it's not too cold out)
theangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:48 PM   #6

View Crunch's Photo Album My Photos
2000 Cherokee

Was hoping that was all it was.. I'll try another flush and report back. Thanks guys.

2000 Xj- 3.5" lift w/RC springs & an extra iso, Wj ca's JK rubi shocks, HP30 & 8.25 w/4.10's
Totaled- Kinda built '99 2 Door Xj Was near perfect
Sold- Built '98 TJ-RK LA's 4.88's ARB's, Kilby skids.....
Sold-Built '98 ZJ-HP30 8.8 4.10's 33's
Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 12:30 AM   #7
CF Veteran

View trans_am7935's Photo Album My Photos
1994 Cherokee

what i did is drain the whole thing then fill it up with only water. get it up to operating temp with the radiator cap off and then open the drain on the radiator. have a water hose handy and start to refill it up with warm water from a sink or something. keep filling it up to keep the water in the radiator full and do this until all the water being drained out the radiator is clear. then turn the car off and drain the rest. take one gallon of concentrate radiator fluid and pour it in there. fill the rest up with distilled water and drive away. after first drive check fluid level and top off as necessary. you should be fine after that
1994 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 5 speed 4.0 H.O. flex headers, Flowmaster cat back, Magnaflow cat, stock clutch, K&N, 6.5" Rusty's lift w/ RC long arm, 35" mudders, Bushwackers, JCR Stage 3 Sliders, ORO U-turn Steering, Dana 44, Detroit locker, Dana 30 HP Detroit Tru trac, 4.56 gears, 136amp alt, Camo Paint
trans_am7935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 12:30 AM

submit to reddit