Jeep Cherokee Forum

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > OEM Cherokee Tech
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Cherokee Forum!
Welcome to Cherokee Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

submit to reddit

Old 06-16-2010, 10:54 PM   #1
CF Veteran

View 1991Jeep_Man's Photo Album My Photos
1991 Cherokee
Default Coolant Burp?

I am about to swap my new radiator into my 91 XJ Laredo. Before I do, I wanna make sure I know how to do everything. My q is this:

How do I burp the air from the cooling system? I know I'm suppose to fill the rad with my coolant mix, then run it, and replace as needed. But how do I make sure all the air is out?

Thanks in advance.

Knowledge is power, unless it's in the hands of an idiot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustedback View Post
A thread that is sucking in its last breath. And there it goes, it just released its bowels.
E-fan conversions, gauge faces, and all other sorts of crazy from start to finish here ---> http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f46/my-...37/#post608212
1991Jeep_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 11:33 PM   #2

View UserID6095's Photo Album My Photos
Cherokee

One way is to fill the rad up full. Put the cap on. Fill the up the overflow tank. Start the engine, let it warm up. Once it warms up it will pull coolant from the overflow. Keep adding till the system is full.
UserID6095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 08:08 AM   #3
CF Veteran

1991 Cherokee

Ok, because I was doing some internet research and found something about parking nose end down and removing the coolant temp sending unit on the back of the head.. But it said this was for a closed system RENIX '88 Cherokee... Is my '91 a closed or open system? What's the difference?

Quote:
A thread that is sucking in its last breath. And there it goes, it just released its bowels.
E-fan conversions, gauge faces, and all other sorts of crazy from start to finish here ---> http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f46/my-...37/#post608212
Old 06-17-2010, 08:22 AM   #4
CF Veteran

View fishtaconc's Photo Album My Photos
Jeepless at the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1991Jeep_Man View Post
Ok, because I was doing some internet research and found something about parking nose end down and removing the coolant temp sending unit on the back of the head.. But it said this was for a closed system RENIX '88 Cherokee... Is my '91 a closed or open system? What's the difference?
91 is open system, the difference is the open uses a normal radiator with a cap, the closed uses a pressureized bottle with no cap on the radiator. Be sure when you fill the system and run it have your heat on so that the heater core gets filled. trs80's idea works well, or you could fill radiator with coolant let it set top off if needed, then start engine run with cap off wait till tstat opens then fill as needed, I repeat, have the heat on lots of people forget to do this.
fishtaconc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:15 AM   #5
CF Veteran

View djb383's Photo Album My Photos
1998 Cherokee

Check coolant level (COLD ENGINE) in the radiator for several days. Check coolant level in overflow bottle. If the rad cap is functioning correctly, coolant level in the overflow bottle should rise when the motor is hot and fall when the motor is cold. There are 2 valves in the rad cap and they both must function properly.
djb383 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:15 AM   #6
CF Veteran

1991 Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtaconc View Post
91 is open system, the difference is the open uses a normal radiator with a cap, the closed uses a pressureized bottle with no cap on the radiator. Be sure when you fill the system and run it have your heat on so that the heater core gets filled. trs80's idea works well, or you could fill radiator with coolant let it set top off if needed, then start engine run with cap off wait till tstat opens then fill as needed, I repeat, have the heat on lots of people forget to do this.
So I don't need to unplug the sender to bleed the air out? I take it open systems are a bit more simple to work with than closed. Ok, so fill, run WITH heat on and cap off, top off as needed... simple enough. Thanks for all the help.

Quote:
Old 06-17-2010, 10:22 AM   #7

View hubs97xj's Photo Album My Photos
Cherokee

And don't forget to put the cap back on BEFORE you shut the engine off, after topping the radiator off...
hubs97xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 10:22 AM

submit to reddit