Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Coil packs vs Distributor ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 07:12 AM

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Coil packs vs Distributor ?

I noticed in general on this forum, people view the later 4.0's with coil packs as a negative. (setting the head issue aside).
Are not coil packs more reliable than a distributor with moving parts ?

Am I missing something here?

Give me the low down

Thanks,
Slack
Old 02-02-2017, 08:50 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

Well I'll tell you the one huge positive is how much cheaper it is to replace cap/rotor and plug wires versus the entire coil pack.

As far as performance, I don't really think there is a noticeable difference.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Concerning reliability, I think it's a case by case basis. Some will say they've had no problems, other will say they have. You just have to weigh the pros and cons of each setup. Coil packs can only go on one way, therefore there's no way to mix up wires like a distributor can. However, finding top dead center with a coil pack is more of a pain. It's also not possible to pull a spark plug from just one cylinder with a coil pack, making diagnostic/troubleshooting more difficult in some cases. However, it's very easy to replace a coil pack, just unplug and replug.

It's just what you prefer to deal with.

Here's a post explaining some more pros/cons:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/co...ibutor-514379/

Last edited by fijicorey25; 02-02-2017 at 08:57 AM.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:22 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

There are other issues with the 00/01 models that they alone have. All things considered the 99 model yr had all the best from older models and some that only came on a 99, generally a 97-99 are considered the belter choices.
Old 02-02-2017, 12:45 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000 and 1998

i have a spare 98 that runs great, 129000. like to use as backup for 331 2000 crack but what a job to make it fit the 2000??
Old 02-02-2017, 01:46 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

Originally Posted by Slackdaddy
I noticed in general on this forum, people view the later 4.0's with coil packs as a negative. (setting the head issue aside).
Are not coil packs more reliable than a distributor with moving parts ?

Am I missing something here?
Most of it is an unsophisticated reaction to something people don't understand. The gist of it is, "Wha? Ain't got no distribyooter? What kind of voodoo crap is this? Cain't trust it!"

The reality is that the coil rail gives you about the hottest spark you can get while involving fewer potential failure points. What's more, the computer in the '00 and '01 will often keep the motor running (with a CEL to let you know you have an issue) long after a Jeep with distributor ignition would have failed. Some people who like to pull their spark plugs out and look at them a lot get bent out of shape about having to take a few more bolts loose, but in the real world it's usually not necessary to do that very often. About the only real drawback is the cost of replacing a coil rail, but even that's not a huge problem with the lower prices you can find on the internet now.

The funny thing is that people with other cars spend a lot of money for aftermarket coil-on-plug ignition systems to get a hotter spark without the potential for mechanical failure, yet Jeep people whine about it when they get it from the factory.
Old 02-02-2017, 02:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by extrashaky
Most of it is an unsophisticated reaction to something people don't understand. The gist of it is, "Wha? Ain't got no distribyooter? What kind of voodoo crap is this? Cain't trust it!"

The reality is that the coil rail gives you about the hottest spark you can get while involving fewer potential failure points. What's more, the computer in the '00 and '01 will often keep the motor running (with a CEL to let you know you have an issue) long after a Jeep with distributor ignition would have failed. Some people who like to pull their spark plugs out and look at them a lot get bent out of shape about having to take a few more bolts loose, but in the real world it's usually not necessary to do that very often. About the only real drawback is the cost of replacing a coil rail, but even that's not a huge problem with the lower prices you can find on the internet now.

The funny thing is that people with other cars spend a lot of money for aftermarket coil-on-plug ignition systems to get a hotter spark without the potential for mechanical failure, yet Jeep people whine about it when they get it from the factory.

The fact that distributors have been around much longer relative to coil packs could definitely lead to this attitude. Whenever new tech comes out, droves of people say its stupid. This isn't limited to automobiles.
Old 02-02-2017, 02:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

The 4.0 didn't need to go distributorless. It can be viewed as one of those "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" kind of things. That's where I stand....
Old 02-02-2017, 02:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

This section right here is real debatable.
Old 02-02-2017, 03:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jeepin'_Aint_EZ
The 4.0 didn't need to go distributorless.
Actually it did, and you can blame the US government for that. One of the reasons for going to the coil rail and the 0331 head was to help Chrysler meet stricter emissions standards. The '00 and '01 (and subsequent 4.0L motors) have a waste spark ignition system, which fires the cylinders on both the power stroke and the exhaust stroke. The result is more complete combustion of the fuel and cleaner emissions with no loss in power output. The distributor ignition system wasn't up to standard any more. Going to waste spark allowed Chrysler to continue using the 4.0L for several more years, when otherwise it would have had to have been replaced.

So even though it wasn't exactly "broke," it was rapidly approaching obsolescence. It doesn't hurt that the newer ignition is more reliable, and that the computer can keep the engine running when it ought to strand you on the side of the road. The only real issue was the original casting 0331 head, which was a problem with the casting and not problem with the coil rail.
The following users liked this post:
B16CRXT (04-28-2023)
Old 02-03-2017, 09:17 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Actually it did, and you can blame the US government for that. One of the reasons for going to the coil rail and the 0331 head was to help Chrysler meet stricter emissions standards. The '00 and '01 (and subsequent 4.0L motors) have a waste spark ignition system, which fires the cylinders on both the power stroke and the exhaust stroke. The result is more complete combustion of the fuel and cleaner emissions with no loss in power output. The distributor ignition system wasn't up to standard any more. Going to waste spark allowed Chrysler to continue using the 4.0L for several more years, when otherwise it would have had to have been replaced.

So even though it wasn't exactly "broke," it was rapidly approaching obsolescence. It doesn't hurt that the newer ignition is more reliable, and that the computer can keep the engine running when it ought to strand you on the side of the road. The only real issue was the original casting 0331 head, which was a problem with the casting and not problem with the coil rail.

100% correct was the problems it added to the 00/01's in addition to double the o2 sensors, cats involved and the weaker, less clearance LPD30 front differentials. There are others also but many run them you seem to find more of them for sale than older ones.
Old 02-03-2017, 01:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
100% correct was the problems it added to the 00/01's in addition to double the o2 sensors, cats involved and the weaker, less clearance LPD30 front differentials.
To be clear, those issues have nothing to do with the coil rail and more to do with the overall design of the '00-'01 Cherokee. In 2000 the EPA version (like mine) didn't have the extra cats or O2 sensors. The waste spark ignition works just fine without them.

The low pinion front axle made room for the change to the exhaust to accommodate the extra cats, but again, that has nothing to do with the ignition. I have a high pinion D30 in the garage waiting to go into mine with my lift. The coil rail won't affect the installation of the new axle at all.