Jeep Cherokee Forum

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > OEM Cherokee Tech
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Cherokee Forum!
Welcome to Cherokee Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

submit to reddit

Old 07-28-2009, 08:40 AM   #1
Registered Users

View KATHY QUINN's Photo Album My Photos
Cherokee
Default COIL PACK

2000 cherokee sport. Does it have a coil pack or an ignition coil or both. Jeep won't turn over. Put in an ignition coil, didn't work. Took to Pepboys and they said problem was coil pack and needed spark plugs. I thought they were the same thing. Nope..two entirely different parts, so ordered a coil pack - used, on ebay. Did I do the right thing or am I totally confused
KATHY QUINN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 01:39 PM   #2

View McRay's Photo Album My Photos
1996 & 2001 Cherokee

you jeep will not turn over I would check battery or starter first
Conroe, Tx
McRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 02:18 PM   #3
CF Veteran

View Jamie57's Photo Album My Photos
2000 Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by KATHY QUINN View Post
2000 cherokee sport. Does it have a coil pack or an ignition coil or both. Jeep won't turn over. Put in an ignition coil, didn't work. Took to Pepboys and they said problem was coil pack and needed spark plugs. I thought they were the same thing. Nope..two entirely different parts, so ordered a coil pack - used, on ebay. Did I do the right thing or am I totally confused
Need a little more info from you to be able to help you.
When you say turn over do you mean the engine won't rotate when you turn the ignition key to start?
That is a differnet problem from an ignition coil or spark plugs.
It could be a dead battery, or a loose ground connection, or even a dead starter.
If it does in fact turn over but won't start then maybe you do have a coil(s) problem. However I don't think it's that. You have single fire ignition on your jeep meaning you have a coil for each cylinder. Just like a bad plug won't stop the entire engine from running I don't believe a single bad coil will do the same UNLESS there is a safety feature that will not allow the engine to run. Don't know much about that system yet. However it should still turn over (try to start).
Sooooo we need more info.
Jamie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 06:11 AM   #4
Registered Users

Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie57 View Post
Need a little more info from you to be able to help you.
When you say turn over do you mean the engine won't rotate when you turn the ignition key to start?
That is a differnet problem from an ignition coil or spark plugs.
It could be a dead battery, or a loose ground connection, or even a dead starter.
If it does in fact turn over but won't start then maybe you do have a coil(s) problem. However I don't think it's that. You have single fire ignition on your jeep meaning you have a coil for each cylinder. Just like a bad plug won't stop the entire engine from running I don't believe a single bad coil will do the same UNLESS there is a safety feature that will not allow the engine to run. Don't know much about that system yet. However it should still turn over (try to start).
Sooooo we need more info.
The engine does rotate, just won't start. Brand new battery. Even put jumper cables on, thinking it was a bad battery. The coil pack I just purchased. Does a 2000 cherokee sport have one of them or is it the long ingintion coil. I want to send the coil pack back if in fact my jeep doesn't have one of them...Then I will buy the ignition coil and get new spark plugs. Don't remember when I've replaced them...I appreciate all the help though
Old 07-29-2009, 09:20 AM   #5
CF Veteran

View fantic238's Photo Album My Photos
1988 limited Cherokee
Send a message via MSN to fantic238 Send a message via Skype™ to fantic238

Quote:
The engine does rotate, just won't start. Brand new battery. Even put jumper cables on, thinking it was a bad battery. The coil pack I just purchased. Does a 2000 cherokee sport have one of them or is it the long ingintion coil. I want to send the coil pack back if in fact my jeep doesn't have one of them...Then I will buy the ignition coil and get new spark plugs. Don't remember when I've replaced them...I appreciate all the help though
Hi Kathy, welcome to the Forum from Fantic.
I suppose from what I read that you are not very confident with mechanic skills, but this is not a problem since you have stepped in the right place here.
If i have read correctly the engine cranks but does not fire up right?
There are only two things that cause this problem in a gas engine.
A. No fuel to the engine.
B. No current to the spark plugs.
Since you are already dealing with electrical stuff, I assume that it's option B.
You could easily check if it's A or B with some simple operations, ask me how if you are not sure.

Before you spend other money in wrong and expensive parts and lose the faith in Jeeps you might check a very common failure in a part called
CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR (CPS).
This is a little crappy stupid piece mounted
at the top of the bell housing and slightly to the drivers side with 2 bolts and a cable with connector coming out of it.
Find the connector and unplug replug a few times to see if it's just a cotact problem.
If it's bad you can buy one for
$85 at O'Reilly.
Let me know.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas.
J**P#4
CBW #70

"god said rock and then came ledZeppelin"

For CAD geeks here:
http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f58/how...-bumper-27077/
fantic238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 09:05 PM   #6
Registered Users

Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantic238 View Post
Hi Kathy, welcome to the Forum from Fantic.
I suppose from what I read that you are not very confident with mechanic skills, but this is not a problem since you have stepped in the right place here.
If i have read correctly the engine cranks but does not fire up right?
There are only two things that cause this problem in a gas engine.
A. No fuel to the engine.
B. No current to the spark plugs.
Since you are already dealing with electrical stuff, I assume that it's option B.
You could easily check if it's A or B with some simple operations, ask me how if you are not sure.

Before you spend other money in wrong and expensive parts and lose the faith in Jeeps you might check a very common failure in a part called
CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR (CPS).
This is a little crappy stupid piece mounted at the top of the bell housing and slightly to the drivers side with 2 bolts and a cable with connector coming out of it.
Find the connector and unplug replug a few times to see if it's just a cotact problem.
If it's bad you can buy one for
$85 at O'Reilly.
Let me know.
Man, I have to tell you guys are the best! It was the CPS. A co-worker replaced it for me today and it started right up! Thank you so much for all the threads. I will tell all my fellow jeep owners about you. Awesome! What really pisses me off is that Pepboys was going to charge me $500.00 and that wasn't the problem. They really do suck! Need more people like you! Cuddos to you all
Old 07-31-2009, 05:11 AM   #7
CF Veteran

1988 limited Cherokee

Thank you, happy I could help you and that your Jeep is running again.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas.
J**P#4
CBW #70

For CAD geeks here:
Old 08-01-2009, 02:17 AM   #8
Registered Users

Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantic238 View Post
Thank you, happy I could help you and that your Jeep is running again.
Unfortunately I traded in my baby with the cash for clunker program today. I was the only owner and had her for 11 years. 230,000 miles so it was the best car I ever had. I wanted another jeep but they don't qualify with that program, but I did get a Dodge...Again, thanks for all the help. She's in jeep heaven by now
Old 08-01-2009, 02:42 AM   #9
CF Veteran

View a1racer's Photo Album My Photos
2000 Cherokee

Quote:
Unfortunately I traded in my baby with the cash for clunker program today. I was the only owner and had her for 11 years. 230,000 miles so it was the best car I ever had. I wanted another jeep but they don't qualify with that program, but I did get a Dodge...Again, thanks for all the help. She's in jeep heaven by now
why would you do that dont just trash it you could have sold it for about the same amount o close enough to it. that way you dont waste some bodys project this is why America is falling apart they are trying to push people into new stuff when its not necessary . oh well hope you like the new car and have good luck with it
Old 08-01-2009, 03:31 AM   #10
CF Veteran

1988 limited Cherokee

I have no words...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
J**P#4
CBW #70

For CAD geeks here:
Old 08-01-2009, 10:43 AM   #11
CF Veteran

View jonnyb78's Photo Album My Photos
2000 Cherokee

im confused. ur jeep is a 2000. u had it 11 years. how? poor jeep was still a youngin. still coulda had many years of reliable service

CBW member #3

www.oceanstatejeepsters.com
build thread http://www.cherokeeforum.com/showthr...923#post213923
jonnyb78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 02:47 PM   #12
pwn
Seasoned Member

View pwn's Photo Album My Photos
2000 Cherokee

pwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 06:05 PM   #13

View ballistic_ken's Photo Album My Photos
1995 Cherokee

ballistic_ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 08:20 PM   #14
CF Veteran

View winston427's Photo Album My Photos
Cherokee

Why do I feel like we have all been violated.
winston427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 08:20 PM

submit to reddit