Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

COIL PACK

Old 07-28-2009, 07:40 AM
Registered Users

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default COIL PACK

2000 cherokee sport. Does it have a coil pack or an ignition coil or both. Jeep won't turn over. Put in an ignition coil, didn't work. Took to Pepboys and they said problem was coil pack and needed spark plugs. I thought they were the same thing. Nope..two entirely different parts, so ordered a coil pack - used, on ebay. Did I do the right thing or am I totally confused
Old 07-28-2009, 12:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996 & 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

you jeep will not turn over I would check battery or starter first
Old 07-28-2009, 01:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Year: 2000

Originally Posted by KATHY QUINN
2000 cherokee sport. Does it have a coil pack or an ignition coil or both. Jeep won't turn over. Put in an ignition coil, didn't work. Took to Pepboys and they said problem was coil pack and needed spark plugs. I thought they were the same thing. Nope..two entirely different parts, so ordered a coil pack - used, on ebay. Did I do the right thing or am I totally confused
Need a little more info from you to be able to help you.
When you say turn over do you mean the engine won't rotate when you turn the ignition key to start?
That is a differnet problem from an ignition coil or spark plugs.
It could be a dead battery, or a loose ground connection, or even a dead starter.
If it does in fact turn over but won't start then maybe you do have a coil(s) problem. However I don't think it's that. You have single fire ignition on your jeep meaning you have a coil for each cylinder. Just like a bad plug won't stop the entire engine from running I don't believe a single bad coil will do the same UNLESS there is a safety feature that will not allow the engine to run. Don't know much about that system yet. However it should still turn over (try to start).
Sooooo we need more info.
Old 07-29-2009, 05:11 AM
Registered Users

Originally Posted by Jamie57
Need a little more info from you to be able to help you.
When you say turn over do you mean the engine won't rotate when you turn the ignition key to start?
That is a differnet problem from an ignition coil or spark plugs.
It could be a dead battery, or a loose ground connection, or even a dead starter.
If it does in fact turn over but won't start then maybe you do have a coil(s) problem. However I don't think it's that. You have single fire ignition on your jeep meaning you have a coil for each cylinder. Just like a bad plug won't stop the entire engine from running I don't believe a single bad coil will do the same UNLESS there is a safety feature that will not allow the engine to run. Don't know much about that system yet. However it should still turn over (try to start).
Sooooo we need more info.
The engine does rotate, just won't start. Brand new battery. Even put jumper cables on, thinking it was a bad battery. The coil pack I just purchased. Does a 2000 cherokee sport have one of them or is it the long ingintion coil. I want to send the coil pack back if in fact my jeep doesn't have one of them...Then I will buy the ignition coil and get new spark plugs. Don't remember when I've replaced them...I appreciate all the help though
Old 07-29-2009, 08:20 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1988 limited
Engine: 4.0 litre

The engine does rotate, just won't start. Brand new battery. Even put jumper cables on, thinking it was a bad battery. The coil pack I just purchased. Does a 2000 cherokee sport have one of them or is it the long ingintion coil. I want to send the coil pack back if in fact my jeep doesn't have one of them...Then I will buy the ignition coil and get new spark plugs. Don't remember when I've replaced them...I appreciate all the help though
Hi Kathy, welcome to the Forum from Fantic.
I suppose from what I read that you are not very confident with mechanic skills, but this is not a problem since you have stepped in the right place here.
If i have read correctly the engine cranks but does not fire up right?
There are only two things that cause this problem in a gas engine.
A. No fuel to the engine.
B. No current to the spark plugs.
Since you are already dealing with electrical stuff, I assume that it's option B.
You could easily check if it's A or B with some simple operations, ask me how if you are not sure.

Before you spend other money in wrong and expensive parts and lose the faith in Jeeps you might check a very common failure in a part called
CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR (CPS).
This is a little crappy stupid piece mounted
at the top of the bell housing and slightly to the drivers side with 2 bolts and a cable with connector coming out of it.
Find the connector and unplug replug a few times to see if it's just a cotact problem.
If it's bad you can buy one for
$85 at O'Reilly.
Let me know.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:05 PM
Registered Users

Originally Posted by fantic238
Hi Kathy, welcome to the Forum from Fantic.
I suppose from what I read that you are not very confident with mechanic skills, but this is not a problem since you have stepped in the right place here.
If i have read correctly the engine cranks but does not fire up right?
There are only two things that cause this problem in a gas engine.
A. No fuel to the engine.
B. No current to the spark plugs.
Since you are already dealing with electrical stuff, I assume that it's option B.
You could easily check if it's A or B with some simple operations, ask me how if you are not sure.

Before you spend other money in wrong and expensive parts and lose the faith in Jeeps you might check a very common failure in a part called
CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR (CPS).
This is a little crappy stupid piece mounted at the top of the bell housing and slightly to the drivers side with 2 bolts and a cable with connector coming out of it.
Find the connector and unplug replug a few times to see if it's just a cotact problem.
If it's bad you can buy one for
$85 at O'Reilly.
Let me know.
Man, I have to tell you guys are the best! It was the CPS. A co-worker replaced it for me today and it started right up! Thank you so much for all the threads. I will tell all my fellow jeep owners about you. Awesome! What really pisses me off is that Pepboys was going to charge me $500.00 and that wasn't the problem. They really do suck! Need more people like you! Cuddos to you all
Old 07-31-2009, 04:11 AM
CF Veteran

Thank you, happy I could help you and that your Jeep is running again.
Old 08-01-2009, 01:17 AM
Registered Users

Originally Posted by fantic238
Thank you, happy I could help you and that your Jeep is running again.
Unfortunately I traded in my baby with the cash for clunker program today. I was the only owner and had her for 11 years. 230,000 miles so it was the best car I ever had. I wanted another jeep but they don't qualify with that program, but I did get a Dodge...Again, thanks for all the help. She's in jeep heaven by now
Old 08-01-2009, 01:42 AM
CF Veteran

Unfortunately I traded in my baby with the cash for clunker program today. I was the only owner and had her for 11 years. 230,000 miles so it was the best car I ever had. I wanted another jeep but they don't qualify with that program, but I did get a Dodge...Again, thanks for all the help. She's in jeep heaven by now
why would you do that dont just trash it you could have sold it for about the same amount o close enough to it. that way you dont waste some bodys project this is why America is falling apart they are trying to push people into new stuff when its not necessary . oh well hope you like the new car and have good luck with it
Old 08-01-2009, 02:31 AM
CF Veteran

I have no words...
Old 08-01-2009, 09:43 AM
CF Veteran

im confused. ur jeep is a 2000. u had it 11 years. how? poor jeep was still a youngin. still coulda had many years of reliable service
Old 08-01-2009, 01:47 PM
pwn
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0L

Old 08-01-2009, 05:05 PM

Year: 1995

Old 08-01-2009, 07:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Why do I feel like we have all been violated.