Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

clicks but no turnover

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default clicks but no turnover

I have a 2000 Cherokee Sport that will not start. It was running ok but next morning it just click when I turn key but will not turn over. got aa jump and it started. Next day no start, no turn over even with a jump. all lights, horn, radio come on ok but no turn over. please help. I need the Jeep for work.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:33 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

do you have a multi meter? what is the battery voltage? will it start with a jump again? if you can get it started, take it to the closest auto parts store and they will load test the battery for free. If the battery is good, then I would start checking the battery cables and grounds. Make sure the connections are good (no corrosion or build up) and the connections are tight and no frayed wires. If all those are good then the next thing would be the starter, but if it starts with a jump then I would be leaning towards a bad battery--

sorry just saw you said it will not start with a jump---check battery voltage, then start looking at the battery cables. make sure they are good and connections are tight, and also the ground from the battery to the side wall. and all connections --to the starter and alternator as well.....possible it could be a bad starter, but you also could have a bad ground.

Last edited by mikesignal; 02-01-2017 at 08:40 PM.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 1998

Dirty wires. X2. Battery. Starter. Alternator. Clean and check in that order... should be shiny clean on the wire end and where it attaches. A guy on this site... Cruiser54 has his own website that talks about cleaning grounds. The ground wires are important in this truck. They're the black ones. The red ones are positive and carry juice.
You might also want to check the connections at your under hood fuse box some time in the future.
Tonight. Start with the battery... no salt or green stuff. Shiny. Shiny. Shiny.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:59 PM
CF Veteran

Can be done with an adjustable wrench and a kitchen scrubby pad or steel wool or a steel brush... or a screwdriver as a scraper... if you have no tools.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

When you turn your key, a small amount of electricity is used to switch on another switch near the starter that lets the LARGE amount of electricity to go directly from the battery to the starter.

The click you are hearing is that switch near the starter (called a solenoid) getting electricity and attempting to close the circuit which would result in the starter cranking the engine.

That click tells you that:

1. The battery has some electricity available, but not quite enough to fully activate the starter solenoid.

or.

2. The battery has sufficient voltage, the solenoid is being activated, but that the starter is not well connected to the battery positive and a ground (back to battery negative).

or

3. That voltage is sufficient, and the connections are fine, but that the starter has failed.

The click also is a good indication that your ignition switch (the thing where you put your key) is doing its job.

The fact that a jump start did not work is also tends to point to poor connections/cables (though can also point to a bad starter..but that is not the first assumption).

So do what mikesignal suggested above. Use a multi-meter to check the battery for at least 12.5v and the thoroughly clean your connections.

Here is a video to help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaysQluwch0

Last edited by jordan96xj; 02-01-2017 at 10:04 PM.
Old 02-01-2017, 11:52 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000 and 1998

i had to jump starter direct with a screwdriver, hot red cable to small start wire on the starter. when my starter would spark but not crank i changed the starter.
you should always be able to crank that way. if you are careful and put in park and put key in run position you can start but be very careful, use emergency brake as you will be outside the truck!1
Old 02-02-2017, 04:19 PM
CF Veteran

BTW. .. a failing starter can still work when jumped. .. it just takes a lot more juice to get it to go. The issue with leaving it unfixed is that it ruins your battery... and then your alternator.
Starters can be tested by taking them out and to an auto parts store for free.
Old 02-02-2017, 04:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Year: 01, 99, 98, 98,98

Maybe remove then reinstall starter relay too. Sometimes they can corrode or possibly stick internally.