Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

CLICK....CLICK From the Drivers Door

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 02:19 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000 and 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default CLICK....CLICK From the Drivers Door

im making progress on my "new" 2000. brakes are now good. floor pans are in soilid. its washed and waxed.
BUT, the driver door clicks LOUD twice on open, twice on close. yes i spray it every day. ??

side issue, front of hood has two "splashes" about 3 inches that look like remains of bird dirt that was there for a while,etched in? wash n wax does nothing. ?? rubbing compound? dont like to do that.

emergency flasher faint click, does not light any lights, just the sound and i can feel the relay "click"

wish i could move seat back 2-3 inches.
Old 10-22-2016, 02:29 PM
No, I don't lick fish.

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by nujeepguy
im making progress on my "new" 2000. brakes are now good. floor pans are in soilid. its washed and waxed.
BUT,

1)the driver door clicks LOUD twice on open, twice on close. yes i spray it every day. ??

2) side issue, front of hood has two "splashes" about 3 inches that look like remains of bird dirt that was there for a while,etched in? wash n wax does nothing. ?? rubbing compound? dont like to do that.

3) emergency flasher faint click, does not light any lights, just the sound and i can feel the relay "click"

4) wish i could move seat back 2-3 inches.
1) This is a common issue caused by the door check assembly.

In the image above, you'll see the check arm, attached to the bracket by a pin. Over time and a lot of use, the holes in the check arm and bracket will "woller out" or rather, become oval-shaped. So every time you open and close the door, the spring mechanism in the arm "snaps" to position at a quicker rate than your movement of the door.... so it makes that clicking sound.

You can get a new check arm at rockauto.com, ebay, quadratec, or any other number of sites. The bracket is not quite as common amongst those sites, but here's an example of the kit:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/272232047565?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

2) I'm not real great with the whole paint n wax thing, but I have seen claybars do wonders. Have you tried that?

3) Sounds like the relay is bad. Try swapping out the relay and report back.

4) uuuuhhhh.... you MIGHT be able to unbolt the slider from the bottom of the seat and re-drill the holes, but I don't know if you'd have enough metal under there to do it. How tall are ya, Shaq?
Old 10-22-2016, 04:54 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000 and 1998

wow, thanks, lots of good info to check out. on the door , i never would have figured that!
i have a unused wax bar.
the relay. i studied the wiring and there is no current path with sw off except "leakage as someone else suggested b4, i cant get the sw out.
the directions mention moving the ign sw and i DO NOT want to touch that!

the seat, id like a little range, im all back but tilting it back helped today.

btw im impressed with the guts of the 4,0. it rips!!
ill be back, got a picnic invite.
Old 10-22-2016, 10:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Year: 01, 99, 98, 98,98

The clicking is the pins moving side to side. You could try carefully using a punch or tips of needle nose And try opening the pin a little. It worked for me.