Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Cleaning the engine compartment

Old 03-16-2009, 10:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default Cleaning the engine compartment

Thinking about spraying down my engine compartment. It's a little greasy and nasty looking. What sort of degreaser would work best? What (if any) parts should i cover up and avoid spraying with water?
Old 03-16-2009, 10:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L HO

I use Foaming Engine Bright since it lingers around a bit more on the grease. I would cover all electrical components to be safe. You can spray careful enough around some things. Then use hot water to rinse off. If you have a hot water pressure washer those things are superb for cleaning grease off motors but keep the high pressure away from the same parts as well.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:12 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by juicy_j
Thinking about spraying down my engine compartment. It's a little greasy and nasty looking. What sort of degreaser would work best? What (if any) parts should i cover up and avoid spraying with water?
I just asked this question not too long ago. Search the forum and maybe search for recent posts from me and you should find what you're looking for. Basically, Gunk engine FOAM (the gel stuff would probably work well too) was recommended as it sticks to the engine. You will want to cover/avoid electrical connections and your dizzy. Also, read the bottle first since it will give you insights like, use on a cold engine, not a warm one. I haven't gone about it myself, but others commented that they didn't really cover anything, but just tried to avoid everything but the accidental over spray on the sensitive stuff and they did just fine.

Hope this helps,
s
Old 03-16-2009, 10:22 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0L

I got my TPS wet and had the no start condition, so definitely cover that or stay away from it. WD-40 eventually displaced the water along with a little time to dry. However careful you are, I say make sure you have drying time in your schedule when you do it
Old 03-16-2009, 10:39 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 l6

I hose down my engine all of the time, just about every time I have washed the outside I give the engine compartment a quick rince... Once in a while I get really energetic and I really get it good, I use Spray Nine and it works great it cuts any gease or oil if any has a chance to sit very long, my engine looks brand new the Spray Nine really brings out the black in the hoses and any rubber under the hood, you just can't leave it that long because it will remove paint if you let it... Cold engine a pressure washer and yes be gentle around the electricals... I have never ever had an issue with my engine hosing it down, it has seen more water under the hood just puddle jumping on the odd rainy day or a good winter thaw than I can throw at it with a pressure washer, but you still have to be carful where you point that thing.... Oh ya my Jeep is a 1998 Cherokee with a 4.0l and yes the engine still looks new, but I don't have any leaks either....