Jeep Cherokee Forum

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > OEM Cherokee Tech
Register Forgot Password?
Search


Welcome to Cherokee Forum!
Welcome to Cherokee Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!


Reply
 
 
 
submit to reddit
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2012, 07:29 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Peoria
Posts: 60

View cherokeeduner's Photo Album My Photos
1990 Cherokee
Default Cherokee wont go above 2500rmps

I have a 1990 jeep cherokee 4.0 automatic engine is all stock when you start it up it idles fine but when you hit the gas it lags wants to die then revs up about 2 seconds later for the 1st minute of driving it it stall if you completely let off the gas. if you floor it it will go to 2500rpms then shift to second and almost immedietly after it will shift to third and just feel like its going nowhere. if i start it up in park and gas it it will occasionaly pop out of the airbox any ideas?
cherokeeduner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:36 PM   #2
CF Veteran
 
freegdr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Happyville...
Posts: 31,517

View freegdr's Photo Album My Photos
1989 xj sport 2dr Cherokee
Default

check fuel pressure then start testing the sensors id start with tps my selfhttp://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/...iagnostics.htm
__________________
its all in your altitude,horn broke watch for fingerWhen asking for help here and not listening to test procedures why ask.
freegdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:39 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Peoria
Posts: 60

View cherokeeduner's Photo Album My Photos
1990 Cherokee
Default

will do i changed the tps and it didnt do anything
cherokeeduner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:48 PM   #4
CF Veteran
 
freegdr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Happyville...
Posts: 31,517

View freegdr's Photo Album My Photos
1989 xj sport 2dr Cherokee
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeeduner View Post
will do i changed the tps and it didnt do anything
adjusted correctly?.....http://autorepair.about.com/library/faqs/bl232i.htm
__________________
its all in your altitude,horn broke watch for fingerWhen asking for help here and not listening to test procedures why ask.
freegdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:51 PM   #5
CF Veteran
 
VTJeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: 802
Posts: 4,259

View VTJeep's Photo Album My Photos
99 Cherokee
Default

Sounds like fuel delivery issue. I think the popping at the manifold indicates a lean mix.. Does it ever start to suck for air hard and/or stumble (hesitate) when idling? Either way, x2 on TPS issue, or maybe bad o2's...
__________________
99, AW4, 242, 235 DuraTracs, a couple inches of lift and some ghetto flares to keep the fuzz happy.

06 TrailBlazer LT. The DD.

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part...

Chances are I just gave you my two Lincolns. Take it or leave it.
VTJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:58 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Peoria
Posts: 60

View cherokeeduner's Photo Album My Photos
1990 Cherokee
Default

I didn't think the tps on the 90s was adjustable?
cherokeeduner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:59 PM   #7
CF Veteran
 
freegdr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Happyville...
Posts: 31,517

View freegdr's Photo Album My Photos
1989 xj sport 2dr Cherokee
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeeduner View Post
I didn't think the tps on the 90s was adjustable?
91 and up its not good place to start then fuel pressure...
__________________
its all in your altitude,horn broke watch for fingerWhen asking for help here and not listening to test procedures why ask.
freegdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:19 PM   #8
::Regional Moderator::
 
cruiser54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Prescott, Az
Posts: 23,827

View cruiser54's Photo Album My Photos
1990 Comanche
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeeduner View Post
I didn't think the tps on the 90s was adjustable?
Sure is and is mandatory when replacing a TPS.

RENIX TPS ADJUSTMENT
Before attempting to adjust your TPS be sure the throttle body has been recently cleaned.
It's especially important that the edges of the throttle butterfly are free of any carbon build-up.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Using the positive (red) lead of your ohmmeter, probe the B terminal of the flat 3 wire connector
of the TPS . The letters are embossed on the connector itself.
Touch the black lead of your meter to the negative battery post.
If you see more than 1 ohm of resistance some modifications to the sensor ground harness will be
necessary. The harness repair must be performed before proceeding.
I can provide an instruction sheet for that if needed.
MANUAL TRANSMISSION:
RENIX manual transmission equipped XJs have a three-wire TPS mounted on the throttle body.
This manual transmission vehicle TPS provides data input to the ECU. The manual transmission
TPS has three wires in the connector and they're clearly embossed with the letters A,B, and C.
Wire "A" is positive.
Wire "B" is ground.
Key ON, measure voltage from "A" positive to "B" ground by back-probing the connectors..
Note the voltage reading--this is your REFERENCE voltage.
Key ON, back-probe the connector at wires "B" and "C". Measure the voltage. This is your
OUTPUT voltage.
Your OUTPUT voltage needs to be seventeen percent of your REFERENCE voltage. For
example: 4.82 volts X .17=.82 volts. Adjust the TPS until you have achieved this percentage. If
you can't achieve the correct output voltage replace the TPS and start over.
AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION:
RENIX automatic transmission equipped XJs have a TPS with two connectors. There is a flat three-
wire connector, same as the manual transmission vehicles have, and it is tested the same as the
manual transmission equipped vehicles--FOR ENGINE MANAGEMENT RELATED ISSUES.
However, the automatic TPS also has a square four-wire connector clearly embossed with the letters
A,B,C, and D. It only uses three wires and provides information to the Transmission Control Module.
Key ON, measure voltage between "A" positive and "D" ground. Note the voltage. This is your
REFERENCE voltage.
Back-probe the connector at wires "B" and "D". Measure the voltage. This is your OUTPUT
voltage. Your OUTPUT voltage needs to be eighty-three percent of your REFERENCE voltage.
For example 4.8 volts X .83=3.98 volts. Adjust the TPS until you have achieved this percentage.
If you can't, replace the TPS and start over.
So, if you have an automatic equipped XJ your TPS has two sides--one side feeds the ECU, and
the other side feeds the TCU. If you have TRANSMISSION issues check the four-wire
connector side of the TPS. If you have ENGINE issues check the three-wire connector side of
the TPS.
For those with a MANUAL TRANSMISSION--the TPS for the manual transmission XJs is
stupid expensive. You can substitute the automatic transmission TPS which is reasonably priced.
Revised 11-28-2011
__________________
Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips can be found in the pink link below:

An index to over 25 helpful write-ups is in Post #1.
http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/cruiser54s-mostly-renix-tips-153657/

In Handy Printable pdf format:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bz4d...aEE/edit?pli=1

A link to my Jeep Technical Photos:
http://www.cherokeeforum.com/g/album/1725214


Refresh*Connections*Before*Replacing*Components
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:01 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tucson
Posts: 84

View Michael-XJ87's Photo Album My Photos
1987 Cherokee
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
Sure is and is mandatory when replacing a TPS.

RENIX TPS ADJUSTMENT
Before attempting to adjust your TPS be sure the throttle body has been recently cleaned.
It's especially important that the edges of the throttle butterfly are free of any carbon build-up.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Using the positive (red) lead of your ohmmeter, probe the B terminal of the flat 3 wire connector
of the TPS . The letters are embossed on the connector itself.
Touch the black lead of your meter to the negative battery post.
If you see more than 1 ohm of resistance some modifications to the sensor ground harness will be
necessary. The harness repair must be performed before proceeding.
I can provide an instruction sheet for that if needed.
MANUAL TRANSMISSION:
RENIX manual transmission equipped XJs have a three-wire TPS mounted on the throttle body.
This manual transmission vehicle TPS provides data input to the ECU. The manual transmission
TPS has three wires in the connector and they're clearly embossed with the letters A,B, and C.
Wire "A" is positive.
Wire "B" is ground.
Key ON, measure voltage from "A" positive to "B" ground by back-probing the connectors..
Note the voltage reading--this is your REFERENCE voltage.
Key ON, back-probe the connector at wires "B" and "C". Measure the voltage. This is your
OUTPUT voltage.
Your OUTPUT voltage needs to be seventeen percent of your REFERENCE voltage. For
example: 4.82 volts X .17=.82 volts. Adjust the TPS until you have achieved this percentage. If
you can't achieve the correct output voltage replace the TPS and start over.
AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION:
RENIX automatic transmission equipped XJs have a TPS with two connectors. There is a flat three-
wire connector, same as the manual transmission vehicles have, and it is tested the same as the
manual transmission equipped vehicles--FOR ENGINE MANAGEMENT RELATED ISSUES.
However, the automatic TPS also has a square four-wire connector clearly embossed with the letters
A,B,C, and D. It only uses three wires and provides information to the Transmission Control Module.
Key ON, measure voltage between "A" positive and "D" ground. Note the voltage. This is your
REFERENCE voltage.
Back-probe the connector at wires "B" and "D". Measure the voltage. This is your OUTPUT
voltage. Your OUTPUT voltage needs to be eighty-three percent of your REFERENCE voltage.
For example 4.8 volts X .83=3.98 volts. Adjust the TPS until you have achieved this percentage.
If you can't, replace the TPS and start over.
So, if you have an automatic equipped XJ your TPS has two sides--one side feeds the ECU, and
the other side feeds the TCU. If you have TRANSMISSION issues check the four-wire
connector side of the TPS. If you have ENGINE issues check the three-wire connector side of
the TPS.
For those with a MANUAL TRANSMISSION--the TPS for the manual transmission XJs is
stupid expensive. You can substitute the automatic transmission TPS which is reasonably priced.
Revised 11-28-2011
haha i was waiting for cruiser to chime in with these instructions. i see him mention these instructions at least a few times a week . Anyway i would also go with the tps. when these things start to have issues they cause all kinds of hell.
Michael-XJ87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 12:01 AM   #10
CF Veteran
 
Bustedback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oroville, CA
Posts: 10,435

View Bustedback's Photo Album My Photos
1995 Grand Cherokee
Default

You could have a clogged catalytic converter, easy to check with a vacuum gauge.
__________________
Steering stabilizers will not cure or cause death wobble, they only mask the real problem that is causing death wobble. Oil pumps do not make pressure, they create flow. Bearing clearence and restrictions make pressure. It's the crank sensor.
Bustedback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:46 AM   #11
::Regional Moderator::
 
cruiser54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Prescott, Az
Posts: 23,827

View cruiser54's Photo Album My Photos
1990 Comanche
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustedback View Post
You could have a clogged catalytic converter, easy to check with a vacuum gauge.
Easiest way to find it is with a simple old vacuum gauge. Not a stone to leave unturned.
__________________
Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips can be found in the pink link below:

An index to over 25 helpful write-ups is in Post #1.
http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/cruiser54s-mostly-renix-tips-153657/

In Handy Printable pdf format:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bz4d...aEE/edit?pli=1

A link to my Jeep Technical Photos:
http://www.cherokeeforum.com/g/album/1725214


Refresh*Connections*Before*Replacing*Components
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:56 AM   #12
Seasoned Member
 
cookrw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Oxford, OH
Posts: 368

View cookrw's Photo Album My Photos
1996 Cherokee
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
Easiest way to find it is with a simple old vacuum gauge. Not a stone to leave unturned.
I have never heard of doing this before. How do you do it?
__________________
1996 XJ Sport 4.0L (The DD)
1971 VW Beetle Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disoriented Hillbilly View Post
2 doors have more horsepower and torque. That and magic 2 door powers.
cookrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:01 AM   #13
::Regional Moderator::
 
cruiser54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Prescott, Az
Posts: 23,827

View cruiser54's Photo Album My Photos
1990 Comanche
Default

I'm doing this from memory with only half a cup of coffee.
Your vacuum gauge should come with an instruction booklet outlining the procedure.

Hook the vacuum gauge up to a source on the intake manifold. Start the engine and note the vacuum reading. Usually 17 to 21 inches of vacuum.

Throttle the engine up to 2,000 to 2,500 RPM for 20 seconds or so and the vacuum reading should stabilize to the same reading you got at idle.

Let the throttle snap shut. The vacuum reading should shoot up about 5 inches of vacuum higher for a second and then come quickly down to the original reading.

If the vacuum reading stays high and comes down slowly with jerky needle movements, you have an exhaust restriction.
__________________
Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips can be found in the pink link below:

An index to over 25 helpful write-ups is in Post #1.
http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/cruiser54s-mostly-renix-tips-153657/

In Handy Printable pdf format:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bz4d...aEE/edit?pli=1

A link to my Jeep Technical Photos:
http://www.cherokeeforum.com/g/album/1725214


Refresh*Connections*Before*Replacing*Components
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:01 AM
 
 
 
submit to reddit
Reply

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > OEM Cherokee Tech



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:16 PM.


This site is in no way affiliated with Jeep or Chrysler.

Emails Backup