Jeep Cherokee Forum

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > OEM Cherokee Tech
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Cherokee Forum!
Welcome to Cherokee Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!


Reply
 
 
 
submit to reddit
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-17-2011, 12:06 AM   #1
Seasoned Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: WA
Posts: 327

View supermini99's Photo Album My Photos
1988 Cherokee
Default Cherokee Temp gauge goes to HOT when jeep gets turned off

Hey everyone I was just wondering if this was normal? When I turn my '88 xj off the temp gauge on my gauge cluster goes to HOT when I turn the Jeep off and take the key out.But as soon as turn the jeep back on it goes back to normal. I've just noticed this lHOT issue tonight

When driving the jeep runs good stays at a good temp.

Is this Normal?

88 XJ w/4.0 AUTO 4x4
160k miles

Last edited by supermini99; 10-17-2011 at 12:30 AM.
supermini99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 12:23 AM   #2
CF Veteran
 
jomps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: knoxville, tn
Posts: 3,899

View jomps's Photo Album My Photos
2000 Cherokee
Default

is it all the way hot or just some?
jomps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 12:27 AM   #3
Seasoned Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: WA
Posts: 327

View supermini99's Photo Album My Photos
1988 Cherokee
Default

keeps going to the red but as soon as i turn the jeep on it goes back to normal
supermini99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 12:52 AM   #4
Seasoned Member
 
BigBear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: California
Posts: 344

View BigBear's Photo Album My Photos
1989 Cherokee
Default

My 89' stays at the temp it was turned off at and later when I turn it back on it will go to whatever temp it is.

You however say it keeps rising all the way to red after you turn the engine off.

That is strange to me and I can only say your engine is getting hotter and the fans are off not cooling it down, only if you have an electric one and only if it does this in the first place.

I got my Jeep in july and have not been able to drive it since. (long Jeep story)

I just purchased a temperature control unit for my electric fan so it will turn on and off at set temps, so it will do what I was talking about anyway.

You don't have to worry about what it is doing anyway, unless you want to change the CTS "coolant temp sender" on GP.
BigBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 01:03 AM   #5
Seasoned Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: WA
Posts: 327

View supermini99's Photo Album My Photos
1988 Cherokee
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBear View Post
My 89' stays at the temp it was turned off at and later when I turn it back on it will go to whatever temp it is.

You however say it keeps rising all the way to red after you turn the engine off.

That is strange to me and I can only say your engine is getting hotter and the fans are off not cooling it down, only if you have an electric one and only if it does this in the first place.

I got my Jeep in july and have not been able to drive it since. (long Jeep story)

I just purchased a temperature control unit for my electric fan so it will turn on and off at set temps, so it will do what I was talking about anyway.

You don't have to worry about what it is doing anyway, unless you want to change the CTS "coolant temp sender" on GP.
Yea its weird ,this has me stumped I just noticed this tonight. Its weird it runs cool while driving stays below 210 even when its hot out.

But as soon as i turn the key to the off position the temp gauge on my cluster it keeps rising all the way to the red BUT as soon as turn the jeep back on or turn the key back to the on position the temp goes back to normal temp hmm weird is this something to worry about
supermini99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 01:08 AM   #6
Seasoned Member
 
BigBear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: California
Posts: 344

View BigBear's Photo Album My Photos
1989 Cherokee
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermini99 View Post
Yea its weird ,this has me stumped I just noticed this tonight. Its weird it runs cool while driving stays below 210 even when its hot out.

But as soon as i turn the key to the off position the temp gauge on my cluster it keeps rising all the way to the red BUT as soon as turn the jeep back on or turn the key back to the on position the temp goes back to normal temp hmm weird is this something to worry about
I would not since it is not running and only showing that temp while off.

The temp sender that goes to your gauge is in the back of the engine block and hot coolant is still in the block so it could be reading the temp as it sits and rises.
BigBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 02:34 AM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 112

View CommanderXJ's Photo Album My Photos
1996 Cherokee
Default

After you shut off the car, do you hear any boiling sound?

I would replace the radiator cap, and see if that helps.
CommanderXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:55 AM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sicklerville NJ
Posts: 128

View Thunder & Lightning's Photo Album My Photos
98 2 Door SE Cherokee
Default

I'm thinking this may be a ground problem when ignition is turned off. Don't seem likely to peg hot on immediate turn off then return to normal on immediate restart. JMO
Thunder & Lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:07 PM   #9
Seasoned Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: WA
Posts: 327

View supermini99's Photo Album My Photos
1988 Cherokee
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderXJ View Post
After you shut off the car, do you hear any boiling sound?

I would replace the radiator cap, and see if that helps.
No I don't hear any boiling,I just hear a hot engine like a little ticking that's it. Yeah I drove it around afterward 's to see if it did it again. This time it didnt get as hot this time. WEIRD
supermini99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 12:38 AM   #10
Member
 
Modrod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Littleton Colorado
Posts: 186

View Modrod's Photo Album My Photos
1990 Cherokee
Default

Well the way to test it is to shut it off, wait till it goes up in temp a bit, then turn the key on and see if it is actually the temperature or if it is just the gauge creeping up after shut down. If it goes down when you turn the key to run, it is just something goofy with the gauge or sending unit. If it was going to the red after shut down because the engine was really that hot, it would more than likely spew out the over flow hose from the radiator cap from the huge amount of pressure it would be creating at that temp.
Modrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 01:52 AM   #11
Seasoned Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: WA
Posts: 327

View supermini99's Photo Album My Photos
1988 Cherokee
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modrod
Well the way to test it is to shut it off, wait till it goes up in temp a bit, then turn the key on and see if it is actually the temperature or if it is just the gauge creeping up after shut down. If it goes down when you turn the key to run, it is just something goofy with the gauge or sending unit. If it was going to the red after shut down because the engine was really that hot, it would more than likely spew out the over flow hose from the radiator cap from the huge amount of pressure it would be creating at that temp.
Thanks
supermini99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:02 AM   #12
CF Veteran
 
884x4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Keller Texas
Posts: 1,303

View 884x4's Photo Album My Photos
1988 Cherokee
Default

Ever find a solution for this? My 88 does the exact same thing, I shut it off, and the guage immmediatly shoots to 260. I turn it on, it goes to around 210. My jeep has been running hot lately but never that hot. Normal driving conditions it's always around 210. However, I do hear a bubbling/ gurgling sound in my engine bay...
__________________
88 xj 4x4 auto tranny np242tc 4.5" 35" mud terrains, black d-windows, bed lined floor, ford 8.8 rear end, 4.88 gears, locked front, winch and winch bumper, 746 injectors, and a whole lot of BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
884x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 03:39 AM   #13
CF Veteran
 
freegdr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Taking slum lord to court soon ....
Posts: 31,212

View freegdr's Photo Album My Photos
1989 xj sport 2dr Cherokee
Default

When waters no circulating thru cooling system it retains more heat causing gauges to rise in reading.884x4 210 up at the high end temp wise 195 should be where you wanna be.
__________________
its all in your altitude,horn broke watch for fingerWhen asking for help here and not listening to test procedures why ask.
freegdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:19 AM   #14
Herp Derp Jerp
 
salad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Kingston, ON
Posts: 12,019

View salad's Photo Album My Photos
1999 Cherokee
Send a message via MSN to salad
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder & Lightning View Post
I'm thinking this may be a ground problem when ignition is turned off. Don't seem likely to peg hot on immediate turn off then return to normal on immediate restart. JMO
I know this is an ancient thread, but this seems to be on the right track. The gauges are driven by stepper motors. When you turn the key off, the gauge isn't getting power anymore. Something is causing the stepper motor to move.

Turning the key back to ON and watching the gauge go back to where it should be immediately confirms this as an electrical issue.

Dripping noise is hot oil draining back into the pan. If your coolant system is making noise you have a lot of problems, like a MASSIVE air pocket.
__________________
But our trip was different. It was to be a classic affirmation of everything right and true in the national character. A gross physical salute to the fantastic possibilities of life in this country. But only for those with true grit.

And we are chock full of that, man!

A little writeup on engine oil for your Jeep
salad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:55 PM   #15
CF Veteran
 
884x4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Keller Texas
Posts: 1,303

View 884x4's Photo Album My Photos
1988 Cherokee
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by salad View Post
I know this is an ancient thread, but this seems to be on the right track. The gauges are driven by stepper motors. When you turn the key off, the gauge isn't getting power anymore. Something is causing the stepper motor to move.

Turning the key back to ON and watching the gauge go back to where it should be immediately confirms this as an electrical issue.

Dripping noise is hot oil draining back into the pan. If your coolant system is making noise you have a lot of problems, like a MASSIVE air pocket.
It sounds like its gurgling mouth wash when I turn it off after a 30 min drive down the highway, I'm thinking it's not burped correctly.

And I was wrong, it only does it sometimes, like after a long highway drive. I don't think it's electrical , the pressure tank looked like an over inflated football it was so hot. But I don't think it would immmediatly shoot from 210-215 to 260+
__________________
88 xj 4x4 auto tranny np242tc 4.5" 35" mud terrains, black d-windows, bed lined floor, ford 8.8 rear end, 4.88 gears, locked front, winch and winch bumper, 746 injectors, and a whole lot of BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
884x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:55 PM
 
 
 
submit to reddit
Reply
Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > OEM Cherokee Tech



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
94 jeep cherokee temp gauge peged all the time mikev8327 OEM Cherokee Tech 4 12-30-2012 12:06 PM
Oil Temp Gauge Colton_Sport OEM Cherokee Tech 11 09-14-2011 11:35 PM
Rubbing noise when wheel turned - 96 Jeep Cherokee Sport Magnumous OEM Cherokee Tech 2 01-04-2011 11:10 AM
Temp gauge UKM69 OEM Cherokee Tech 2 07-09-2010 04:32 PM
temp gauge indianajeepman OEM Cherokee Tech 5 04-12-2009 10:59 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Jeep or Chrysler.

Emails Backup