Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Cherokee 2.5td cranks but doesnt start

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 02:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Cherokee 2.5td cranks but doesnt start

Hello,
my cherokee cranks but doesnt start. I've checked fuel system and there was no diesel coming into injectors, so I've replaced fuel pump. still nothing. also checked minor things as fuel filter, spark plugs.. Engine 2.5TD and I dont have any manual so I'm waiting for any kind of information. My cherokee is 1994.

Last edited by h3ll; 06-22-2010 at 02:27 PM.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:21 PM
"CF Moderator"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: l6 HO

Originally Posted by h3ll
Hello,
my cherokee cranks but doesnt start. I've checked fuel system and there was no diesel coming into injectors, so I've replaced fuel pump. still nothing. also checked minor things as fuel filter, spark plugs.. Engine 2.5TD and I dont have any manual so I'm waiting for any kind of information.
Hi and welcome to CF from Tj...What year is it and check your PM's...Tj
Old 06-22-2010, 02:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 stock

ummm.... diesels don't have spark plugs.....

if your not getting fuel in the injectors you need to prime the system... if it is anything like a D9 then you are in for a real treat...
Old 06-22-2010, 02:37 PM

I know that diesels doesnt have spark plug, but I don't know exact name of them in English. Glow plugs would be my guess. Can you explain me what is D9?
Old 06-22-2010, 02:41 PM
CF Veteran

A D9 is a bulldozer

How much experience do you have with diesel? Not trying to insult just finding out if you drive them much?

First do this.... make certain the battery is fully charged. Hook up a jump vehicle if needed.
turn the ignition on, wait for fuel pump to stop, turn ignition off
do this a few times. Check for the fuel bleeder key on the fuel rail. (some engines have it some don't) You want to try to bleed all the air out you can.

Once that is over spray a small shot of ether into the intake, turn the ignition key on, allow glow plugs to warm, crank the engine.

Do not use too much ether or you will ether lock the motor and possibly cause damage.

Last edited by razor02097; 06-22-2010 at 02:43 PM.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:42 PM
"CF Moderator"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: l6 HO

I know that diesels doesnt have spark plug, but I don't know exact name of them in English. Glow plugs would be my guess. Can you explain me what is D9?
D9 = Bulldozer. I'm not too good on diesels but I'm sure someone here can help...Tj
Old 06-22-2010, 02:49 PM
CF Veteran

I really don't have experience with that particular motor but I have played with some older dodge trucks. Most times I fiddle with front loaders, dozers and generators. The ones with a priming bulb you have to squeeze a couple billion times to pressurize the system.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by razor02097
A D9 is a bulldozer

How much experience do you have with diesel? Not trying to insult just finding out if you drive them much?

First do this.... make certain the battery is fully charged. Hook up a jump vehicle if needed.
turn the ignition on, wait for fuel pump to stop, turn ignition off
do this a few times. Check for the fuel bleeder key on the fuel rail. (some engines have it some don't) You want to try to bleed all the air out you can.

Once that is over spray a small shot of ether into the intake, turn the ignition key on, allow glow plugs to warm, crank the engine.

Do not use too much ether or you will ether lock the motor and possibly cause damage.
I've no experience with diesel at all. Fuel pump is mechanic not electric so
there is no checking. And what is the purpose of injecting ether into the intake?
Also I've read that crank position sensor cause some
problems with engine start. Any suggestions about that?
Old 06-22-2010, 03:01 PM
CF Veteran

If it is a mechanical pump then you will have to manually pressurize the system.

The crank position sensor may not apply to you due to the different engine.

Ether is starting fluid. It will help get the initial fire the engine needs to get the diesel pumping. It will only work if the fuel system is pressurized.

Did you run out of fuel?
Old 06-22-2010, 03:13 PM

No, I got almost full tank of fuel when this happened first. Correct me if I am wrong but I can manually pressurize the system by using some thing located on the fuel filter? If so then I tried that.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:32 AM
CF Veteran

No, I got almost full tank of fuel when this happened first. Correct me if I am wrong but I can manually pressurize the system by using some thing located on the fuel filter? If so then I tried that.
It is possible that air got in the line somewhere. Usually there is a manual type pump device the user can operate to pressurize the fuel system. That is where my advice would be limited in your case because I have not dealt with a 2.5TD Jeep motor.

Hopefully somebody can chime in that has direct experience of specific details about your motor. Maybe try to find a manual? I don't think a regular haynes manual has the diesel in it.

Are you in the states? Is it cold where you are? I haven't seen any diesel Cherokees personally, or know their specific quirks (all diesels have them). See if she will fire on ether (starting fluid) before you tear anything apart. Sorry I couldn't be more help... Good luck
Old 06-23-2010, 07:14 AM

Yes, factory manual doesn't have diesel on it. No, I'm from Europe but it is summer time now. Ok I'll try to find ether to start the engine, but so far any of local shops didn't had one. Thank you for help. Didn't know about ether before
Old 06-23-2010, 07:43 AM
CF Veteran

Just ask them for starting fluid. it is a mix of butane or propane and diethyl ether.

old carburetor engines that have sat a while (especially ones without an accelerator pump) or old diesel engines without a block heater are darn near impossible to get started without it.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:56 AM

BTW, i tried jump start my cherokee and still nothing happens. shouldn't it be the same effect as ether?
Old 06-23-2010, 08:13 AM
CF Veteran

BTW, i tried jump start my cherokee and still nothing happens. shouldn't it be the same effect as ether?
No. Jump starting will give the electrical system a boost not the engine. Starting fluid is flammable petrol base that is sprayed into the motor to give it a temporary fuel source until the primary fuel source kicks in.

Again be careful not to spray too much. Ether locking a diesel can result in damage and at the very least time lost waiting for the ether to evaporate.

Take the air cleaner off and spray a shot into the intake (maybe a half seconds worth to start), then crank the motor. It should start right away.

Quick Reply: Cherokee 2.5td cranks but doesnt start