Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Check Engine Light Code: P0705

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6
Default Check Engine Light Code: P0705

So my CEL came on, had to happen sooner or later. I got the code read and it came back with only P0705: Transmission Range Circuit. I searched everywhere and everything i got was you need to clean and rebuild your NSS. However, everyone says that you will know its your NSS when you cant start it up in park nor neutral, and the reverse lights do no go on, but i can do all of these things without a problem. So it leads me to believe that it may not be my NSS. I read somewhere that it could be the transmission fuse number 10? I looked at the panel on the passenger side kick panel and it looks like a few of them are missing, not sure if thats normal. I need these stuff to be explained to me like im in kindergarten, im no good when it comes to electronics and wiring, thanks for any help

1999 Cherokee Sport with 132k and its an Automatic 4x4

Check Engine Light Code: P0705-photo2.jpg
Old 07-11-2012, 06:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

Im hoping you pulled said fuse and checked it to make sure it wasnt blown?
Old 07-11-2012, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Parsnip
Im hoping you pulled said fuse and checked it to make sure it wasnt blown?
how would i go about doing that? like i said, kindergarten here.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:43 PM

Location: Orono, ME/Hudson Falls, NY/Wilton, CT. Depends when ya catch me!
Year: 97
Engine: I6 4.0L

On the little panel that covers the fuse panel there should be little white tongs (on mine atleast). Use the tongs to pull out the fuse. Then look at the little wire thing inside the fuse and check if it has been broken or singed or not "clean".
Old 07-12-2012, 12:09 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

The NSS does a bit more than just interlock the starter and operate the backup lights. It also tells the TCU what position the shift lever is in.
Gear selection is the only NSS function monitored by OBD. If you are getting a CEL, it's that section that has failed...not the ignition lockout or reverse lights. They are separate switch sections. Ignition and reverse lights can work fine and still have a failed switch.

Pinout below for the switch logic.
Check the wiring and connectors for damage, dirt or bad connections. Then shift into 3 and then 1-2 and see if you have continuity (no resistance) between the appropriate connector terminals.
Attached Thumbnails Check Engine Light Code: P0705-jeep-nss-diagram.jpg  

Last edited by Radi; 07-12-2012 at 12:27 AM.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Radi
The NSS does a bit more than just interlock the starter and operate the backup lights. It also tells the TCU what position the shift lever is in.
Gear selection is the only NSS function monitored by OBD. If you are getting a CEL, it's that section that has failed...not the ignition lockout or reverse lights. They are separate switch sections. Ignition and reverse lights can work fine and still have a failed switch.

Pinout below for the switch logic.
Check the wiring and connectors for damage, dirt or bad connections. Then shift into 3 and then 1-2 and see if you have continuity (no resistance) between the appropriate connector terminals.
ok i gotcha, where that connection located? right by the NSS? or by the fuse panel?
Old 07-12-2012, 04:44 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by mtbfreak612
ok i gotcha, where that connection located? right by the NSS? or by the fuse panel?

Over near the transmission dipstick under the hood. At least that's where it is on my '96. Unplug it and check the resistance as mentioned above on the transmission side of the plug.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Radi
Over near the transmission dipstick under the hood. At least that's where it is on my '96. Unplug it and check the resistance as mentioned above on the transmission side of the plug.
ok, and then how would i test the continuity between the appropriate connector terminals
Old 07-12-2012, 11:19 PM
CF Veteran

ok, and then how would i test the continuity between the appropriate connector terminals
  • Chock the wheels or set the parking brake.
  • Engine should be OFF.
  • Transmission in Park.
  • Disconnect the connector to the NSS located near your trans dipstick.
  • Set your test meter to R X1 or whatever your lowest ohm scale is.
  • Using the connector on the harness going to the transmission, stick one test lead into cavity "A" and the other into cavity "G". You should read infinite resistance. (switch in NSS is open)
  • Now shift transmission to "3". The infinite resistance reading should change to zero ohms, or nearly so. (switch in NSS in now closed)
  • Move test lead from cavity "G" to cavity "H". (leave other test lead in "A") You should read infinite resistance.
  • Shift transmission to "1-2". Resistance should drop to zero or nearly so.
  • Move test lead from "H" to "E" Resistance should be infinite
  • Shift to Reverse. Resistance should drop to zero or nearly so
  • Now move your first test lead from "A" to "B"
  • Place other test lead in "C"
  • Transmission still in "R". You should have infinite resistance.
  • Shift to Neutral. Resistance should drop to zero or very near.
  • Shift up to Reverse. Resistance should become infinite again.
  • Shift up to Park. Resistance should drop to zero or very near.
  • Don't forget to plug the connectors together again when you are done

By "zero or very near" I mean you should get a resistance reading of 0.000 ideally....but anything under 1-2 ohms should be acceptable.
"infinite" resistance means an open circuit...same reading you'd get with the test leads dangling in the air connected to nothing.

If that checks out OK we'll clear the NSS and move on.

Last edited by Radi; 07-12-2012 at 11:41 PM.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:53 PM
Seasoned Member

So my CEL came on, had to happen sooner or later. I got the code read and it came back with only P0705: Transmission Range Circuit. I searched everywhere and everything i got was you need to clean and rebuild your NSS. However, everyone says that you will know its your NSS when you cant start it up in park nor neutral, and the reverse lights do no go on, but i can do all of these things without a problem. So it leads me to believe that it may not be my NSS. I read somewhere that it could be the transmission fuse number 10? I looked at the panel on the passenger side kick panel and it looks like a few of them are missing, not sure if thats normal. I need these stuff to be explained to me like im in kindergarten, im no good when it comes to electronics and wiring, thanks for any help

1999 Cherokee Sport with 132k and its an Automatic 4x4

Attachment 129813
I had the same code as well as p0700. After searching around on here for a day and reading many write ups and checking all the symptoms like you did, i came to the conclusion that i would rebuild it anyways. It was all bogged up with old and dried grease, shined up the copper connectors re greased it and put it back on, and my light has been out since. Not saying it will work but it did work for me.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:56 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L Straight 6

Same thing happened to me about a month ago. Same year too. After about 2 weeks I looked and it was in my history. Sometimes dirt gets In the sensor. Most of the time u can just clean the sensor.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Future
Same thing happened to me about a month ago. Same year too. After about 2 weeks I looked and it was in my history. Sometimes dirt gets In the sensor. Most of the time u can just clean the sensor.
which sensor are you talking about?
Old 07-13-2012, 01:31 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L Straight 6

Nss. And I didn't even clean mine. It just went off on its own.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:37 PM

i just tried to clean the nss but, i couldnt even get it off. i had it in neutral, took off that top nut, and loosened the larger nut so i could use a flathead screwdrive to pry it off, but the nut just stripped off and the nss didnt move. i drenched it in some dw40 but and waited like 10 mins but that didnt do anything please help, getting sick of this
Old 07-13-2012, 01:57 PM
CF Veteran

i just tried to clean the nss but, i couldnt even get it off.

Another member had an awesome idea to use a couple of those wedge-shaped wood shims behind the NSS. Tap one side then the other to pop it off the shaft.
( I wish I could remember who it was to give them proper credit...aah the joys of getting older. )

Quick Reply: Check Engine Light Code: P0705