Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

CEL - P0302

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 12:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Default CEL - P0302

Hey guys, i picked up an overheated one owner 2000 XJ recently. Previous owner claimed it has been parked since it over heated. Getting a cylinder 2 misfire code.

What I Have Done

The cooling system was REALLY clogged. I did about 10 flushes, replaced themostat, hoses, and radiator. This fixed the cooling issues.

I then replaced the head gasket. The hole was right next to cylinder 2. I figured this would solve the problem, but it did not. I also cleaned up the head and did a visual inspection and didnt see anything.

I then moved on and did the neon fuel injector swap to rule out fuel. Nothing.

I have also tried both champion and now NGK plugs.

I have put 2 tanks with cleaner through it

What I Still Need To Do?

Get a compression tester and test again.

I have a leak down tester, but not sure how to determine TDC

Replace coil pack? (i might swap it with my TJs)

Thoughts?

I have driven it probably 800 miles. Does not overheat, and does not feel to lack power (feels like more power than my TJ!). It does sound a bit rougher perhaps under 2k RPM, but i also have the exhaust chopped at the downstream o2. Idle needle is ~700 rpm, with a minuscule bobble.

What do you guys think? Any help greatly appreciated

Last edited by cdurth; 07-31-2015 at 12:56 PM.
Old 07-31-2015, 12:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default CEL - P0302

Have you done cap and rotor as well as plug wires yet?
Old 07-31-2015, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by toasterknight
Have you done cap and rotor as well as plug wires yet?
sorry, i forgot to mention it is a 2000. The coil pack is the only thing i have not done, but i may pull the working one off my tj and test it this weekend
Old 07-31-2015, 12:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default CEL - P0302

Sounds like a weak coil. I had a similar issue with a Taurus I used to have.
Old 07-31-2015, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by toasterknight
Sounds like a weak coil. I had a similar issue with a Taurus I used to have.
I have only ever seen one post that someone had a bad coil pack effecting only one cylinder. But i will give it a test
Old 07-31-2015, 01:26 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

Not sure about your cylinder 2 misfire code, but regarding your overheating issues:

Originally Posted by cdurth
Hey guys, i picked up an overheated one owner 2000 XJ recently.
All 2000 and 2001 XJs came with the 0331 head that likes to crack between the #3 and #4 cylinders as a result of a casting flaw. If you search for "0331 head," you'll find lots of discussion about it. It sometimes does it for no reason at all, even on a well-maintained truck that has never been overheated. Overheating one is just asking for it to crack. Seems like we're now seeing three or four of these posts per month on the board where people are buying 2000 and 2001 XJs only to find the head is no good.

Sometimes (but not always) you can actually see the crack or see coolant weeping up by looking down into the oil filler hole. Sometimes they crack so that hot exhaust gas enters the cooling system and boils the water out of the coolant, leaving that red mud behind that sticks to everything. That stuff isn't rust. It's what's left behind when you boil water out of coolant, like a salt crust left behind if you boil seawater. That garbage not only clogs the radiator, but it will also eat a water pump in a matter of months. People overhaul their cooling system only to find it full of crud three months later because they didn't correct the source of the problem.

You can send off an oil sample to test for the presence of coolant. You can get a $50 kit to test for exhaust gas in your coolant system. You can do a compression test.

If you determine that the head is cracked, you can get a bolt-on replacement from Clearwater Cylinder Head that is not prone to cracking for about $450. Or you can replace it with a TUPY 0331 head from a later model 4.0L; the ones with "TUPY" cast into the top of the head between the #3 and #4 cylinders had the casting flaw corrected. Or you can rig up an earlier 0630 head, but it has different exhaust ports and no provision for the coil rail, so you have to rig some things up to make it work.

Personally, I would just plan to replace that head regardless of whether it's actually cracked, just for peace of mind.
Old 07-31-2015, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by extrashaky
Not sure about your cylinder 2 misfire code, but regarding your overheating issues:

All 2000 and 2001 XJs came with the 0331 head that likes to crack between the #3 and #4 cylinders as a result of a casting flaw. If you search for "0331 head," you'll find lots of discussion about it. It sometimes does it for no reason at all, even on a well-maintained truck that has never been overheated. Overheating one is just asking for it to crack. Seems like we're now seeing three or four of these posts per month on the board where people are buying 2000 and 2001 XJs only to find the head is no good.

Sometimes (but not always) you can actually see the crack or see coolant weeping up by looking down into the oil filler hole. Sometimes they crack so that hot exhaust gas enters the cooling system and boils the water out of the coolant, leaving that red mud behind that sticks to everything. That stuff isn't rust. It's what's left behind when you boil water out of coolant, like a salt crust left behind if you boil seawater. That garbage not only clogs the radiator, but it will also eat a water pump in a matter of months. People overhaul their cooling system only to find it full of crud three months later because they didn't correct the source of the problem.

You can send off an oil sample to test for the presence of coolant. You can get a $50 kit to test for exhaust gas in your coolant system. You can do a compression test.

If you determine that the head is cracked, you can get a bolt-on replacement from Clearwater Cylinder Head that is not prone to cracking for about $450. Or you can replace it with a TUPY 0331 head from a later model 4.0L; the ones with "TUPY" cast into the top of the head between the #3 and #4 cylinders had the casting flaw corrected. Or you can rig up an earlier 0630 head, but it has different exhaust ports and no provision for the coil rail, so you have to rig some things up to make it work.

Personally, I would just plan to replace that head regardless of whether it's actually cracked, just for peace of mind.
Yea i am well aware of the cracked head issue, and already planned to replace it, if that was the issue. But i have not dug up anything about it cracking near cylinder 2, as the defect in the casting was between 3&4. Thats why im not entirely sure it is a cracked head.

EDIT: overlooked your first sentence. Overheating issue seems to be resolved now

Last edited by cdurth; 07-31-2015 at 02:42 PM.