Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Catalytic Coverter Shaking

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Catalytic Coverter Shaking

I have an interesting issue.I got my jeep put of the shop. Had waterump exhaust manifold replaced oil seals all the way around fixed tune up. Now when I start my truck my cat shakes then stops shaking after it cool. Then it makes that noise cats make. Did something happened? Do I need to replace the cat?
Old 02-25-2017, 07:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0
Default thromostat houseing leaking/heater core

I had my thermostat changed today. For some reason the housing is leaking. Any reason why it would do that after replacing? The seal is on and its a brand new thermostat

The heat does not work. The heater core was flushed so its clean. But it is still only blowing cold air. Does it need to be replaced?
Old 02-25-2017, 09:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Its possible the thermostat shifted and the housing is hung up on it. The housing can crack when bolted down as a result. Pull the housing back off and check it. Make sure the thermostat stays put during the install. The lack of heat could be the blend door not working. Never messed with one myself tho.

You said it was at the shop for an exhaust manifold. Check the entire exhaust front to back. Something may be loose. The exhaust may be touching the transmission crossmember, or even the oil pan. While you are under there, doublecheck the heat shield for the cat for broken welds, and the taillipipe hanger. I wouldnt condemn the cat just yet. You need to look over the rest of it first.

Last edited by fb97xj1; 02-25-2017 at 09:32 PM.