Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Cant figure out why 96 cherokee has intermitent starting issues. NEED HELP

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 05:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Question Cant figure out why 96 cherokee has intermitent starting issues. NEED HELP

Hey guys,

So, I have a 1996 Cherokee sport, 4.0 auto. Its been hotter than usual here in WA and I was at the gas station the other day waiting in a line of cars, my jeep was getting hot but it didn't touch the RED part of my gauge. I was idling and she just cut out on me, no sputtering, and seemingly all the obvious components (fuses, wires, clogged filter) seem to check out. after it stalled I couldn't get it started. she would just keep turning over but it sounded like it wasn't getting fuel. the way I got it started again finally was by giving it some starting fluid, basically started right up. Ive been trying to figure out what component could've gone bad but I haven't found any real solid info about my particular situation. If somebody has had this problem before please help me. I don't want my Cherokee to be an "ether baby"
I HAVE fuel pressure from the rail (at least from the test port on the rail) so I know that I have fuel and my pump works (I released the fuel pressure and then cycled my peul pump, it built up pressure again just fine)

Apparently there are two "systems" for running this kind of system, "start" and "run" which I suppose could be messed up but im not sure what controls those systems either. some info on that if any would be sweet!
Btw some more info: I have the in-tank fuel regulator that was only on the late-96 models. of course this part is literally impossible to buy new. im hoping its not the regulator because I really don't want to have to get a used, potentially broken, one from a yard. Also, im wondering if there is some kind of overtemp sensor/breaker that could be broken and thinking the motor is hotter than it is. I will be watching this post so, if you have any questions for me ill respond fast.

Thanks!

Last edited by tmillz1293; 08-01-2015 at 05:54 PM.
Old 08-01-2015, 11:01 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Mine did this and it was the Crankshaft position sensor. It would turn off out of no where when hot and then not start till it cooled. Cranked forever.
Old 08-02-2015, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001

My 01 cranks longer to start in the heat. I tested the CPS (which some say is inconclusive) and it passed. The jeep hasn't stalled on me yet. Interested to hear if you figure this out. Maybe if you can anticipate it happening again blast the heat to cool your engine a bit and see it if helps.

How low were you on gas? Does this only happen when you're under 1/4 tank?
Old 08-03-2015, 06:45 AM

Received 268 Likes on 186 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

I would suggest that you look at the battery cables and renew the connections. Especially the ground points on the engine and chassis. Make sure you don't have hidden corrosion under the battery cable insulation. If this isn't the problem, it will remove it off the list and it is a good maintenance practice. Hope this helps.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:36 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Good info here^^. I would also find out why the engine temp is creeping up at idle. Possible bad fan clutch?
Old 08-23-2015, 07:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee

Try changing out the throttle body gasket and cleaning the throttle body and the IAC. Sometimes the obvious things are little things that go bad. My gasket was split and that resulted in having starting problems that I hope are now fixed. Also make sure you have no HVAC leaks as that also can affect starting as well.

And I bought a new fuel pump for my 97 Xj off of Amazon for around $60 some free shipping. I still have in the junk room and never put it in. They are not that expensive if you look around onthe internet a few hours. The regulator is now in the pump for this and not underneath as was on my 94 so when you get a new pump you get a new regulator too.

I did change out my thermostat to run cooler though last year and never get over 200 now.

Last edited by twinkiedooter; 08-23-2015 at 07:09 PM.
Old 08-24-2015, 01:13 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2000

Originally Posted by cruiser54
Good info here^^. I would also find out why the engine temp is creeping up at idle. Possible bad fan clutch?
In the hot sun not moving on top of being over hot asphalt won't the temperature slowly creep up to a point. The two fans can only move so much air through the radiator. Mine will creep a little above 210 but not overheat. If you have the AC on wont it creep higher as well when not moving.?