Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Camshaft position sensors keep going out?

Old 01-21-2012, 01:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L HO
Default Camshaft position sensors keep going out?

My rig is a 93 Sport, 4.0L AW4. Basically stock with some minor mods. A few months ago I started experiencing the usual starting issues that the engine would crank over but not start. My OBD I scan tool identified code 54. The camshaft position sensor, which I replaced with a new OEM part from Chrysler along with a new CPS and OEM O2 sensor just to be safe since these 3 sensors work together. I even tested all the wiring, the ECU, fuel pump, relays, fuses, and MAP. All are working fine. Fuel pump is working anf pressure is within spec.

3 days later, I go to start my rid up and it was dejavu. It was turning over, but not starting. Scan tool identifies the same code 54. And befoe you ask, Yes I cleared out the old code.

I replaced the cam position sensor again, jeep starts and runs great, this time for about a month. I drove over to my brothers place to help him with something and when it go to leave, you guessed it. My rig would not start again. Connect the scan tool and surprise, code 54 again.

Something is knocking this sensor out. My rig is currently at a shop that is trying to disciver why these keepgoing out. Has anyone out there had the same problem? If so, what caused your camshaft position sensor to go?
Old 01-21-2012, 02:21 PM

haven't had that problem, but I might change the distributor. you can put in one from a later year like a 95/96. shaft diameter is larger and a diffrent cam sensor. did this in a 94 YJ.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

I'd test those sensors to be sure they are TRULY bad; it's not impossible that you have some sort of "connectivity" issue which manifests itself as a code, putting a new sensor in may resolve it temporarily as connectivity is reestablished. It would be rare (but possible I suppose) for the distributor to be killing that sensor.

Definitely should get a can of electrical contact cleaner (available anywhere) and thoroughly spray the cam sensor connector, then add a small dab of dielectric grease and reconnect.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:41 AM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0L HO

I have replaced the distributor twice now. The first time with a brabd ne unit. It lasted 2 days, then a rebuilt my original unit using a new OEM cam postiion sensor. It lasted a month.

Both semsors when tested, were bad.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:24 PM

I know that this sounds elementary,but are you cleaning both connections and adding any dielectric grease? Moisture or who knows what else could be causing the connector to short out. Also check the condition of the wiring, it could have a break. Very unusual to have that many bad parts. Unless we are talking Airtex fuel pumps. LOL
Old 01-23-2012, 01:49 PM

the only other thing I can think of is a voltage spike. but seems odd it would only effect cam sensor.