Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Camshaft position sensor question...

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 09:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Camshaft position sensor question...

Hey Guys,

Great forum, found my problem of stalling truck when turning left~ bad wire/connector on the camshaft position sensor. My question is, can I just cut out the connector completely and solder in jumper wires? My best guess from wiggling it around is that the break is right where the wire goes into the harness side connector and that looks all sealed up so the pin can't be changed. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Old 09-04-2010, 10:18 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Yes you can remove and replace ANY bad connectors.

Are you sure you are talking about the CPS. I just can't see how that would be connected with turning, unless you are generating significan G loads when turning left.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:35 AM

Yeah it's the cam sensor, under the distributor. When I searched here, I found two guys with similar left turn only stalls, which is a little crazy to me. One of them mentioned a bad wire going into the sensor. When I looked at mine, I moved the wire and it stalled right out. The harness was down low, hooked over the engine mount, I think, and the only thing I can think of is either subtle movement of the engine or suspension pulling it tight, or possibly even the weight of the connector swinging away from where it was sitting. Odd, I know, but definitely the problem.

Now though, I know I can order the connector, but if I can cut the connector out I haven't lost too much given I'd have to do it anyway. I just wasn't sure if there was anything in that connector that would be missing if I cut it out. Whaddya think?

Okay! Sorry, it's the ignition pickup under the distributor, not the CPS. I saw it called that on another post but just realized it's not. Does that change cutting the connector out?

Last edited by Mickyfinn; 09-04-2010 at 10:50 AM.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:26 AM

Damn! I am SO new! Okay, problem solved. All it took was the master tech brother-in-law to take the connector apart and clean and tighten it. Thanks for the input!