Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

CAD Brackets vs. RC Long Arm upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 11:47 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default CAD Brackets vs. RC Long Arm upgrade

I know I've brought this up before but here it goes again. I really want to upgrade my 4.5 inch lift to 6.5 inches. But I have short arms.... I have the money for the control arm drop brackets but I've always wanted long arms, but there just so expensive. I have a 2 inch lift kit that I really want to put on but I won't until I get my control arm issue figured out.

My question is are long arms really worth the extra dough? My rig is my daily driver and an occasional weekend warrior. Would drop brackets be my best bet? I would get the CAD from rocky road cuz they are the beefiest.
Opinions.... Thanks guys, last time I bring this up promise.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 482 Likes on 413 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

If all you are doing is daily driving then CADs are OK. The long arms are really meant for use where full cycling of the suspension is common.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BigRed93xj
I know I've brought this up before but here it goes again. I really want to upgrade my 4.5 inch lift to 6.5 inches. But I have short arms.... I have the money for the control arm drop brackets but I've always wanted long arms, but there just so expensive. I have a 2 inch lift kit that I really want to put on but I won't until I get my control arm issue figured out.

My question is are long arms really worth the extra dough? My rig is my daily driver and an occasional weekend warrior. Would drop brackets be my best bet? I would get the CAD from rocky road cuz they are the beefiest.
Opinions.... Thanks guys, last time I bring this up promise.
rocky road is garbage actually. products often don't fit correctly, shipping times are absurd and terrible customer service.

Originally Posted by 4.3L XJ
If all you are doing is daily driving then CADs are OK. The long arms are really meant for use where full cycling of the suspension is common.

you can get just as much travel with drop brackets as you can with longarms. both will be a benefit for his use.

one thing to consider are the longarm upgrades that come with belly skids and transfercase protection, if you don't already have t-case/crossmember protection this would be a very nice upgrade for you as they are generally designed to be used together and will provide a nice hangup-free belly. makes buying longarms seem less expensive if you calculate the cost of the drop brackets plus a nice $200 belly skid
Old 02-11-2010, 12:46 PM

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0L

i know a friend of mind has the long arm kit and let me tell you i have seem him do somethings with that jeep i would not think of doing.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:03 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by shintastrife
i know a friend of mind has the long arm kit and let me tell you i have seem him do somethings with that jeep i would not think of doing.
I assume that's a good thing. The RC LA upgrade kit is very tempting cuz it comes with uppers and lowers plus the skid plates. It's just that I have the $200 for the CAD but I guess I could save up. The RC kit is like $600. How much would it cost to get the kit installed?
Old 02-11-2010, 01:30 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by shintastrife
I assume that's a good thing. The RC LA upgrade kit is very tempting cuz it comes with uppers and lowers plus the skid plates. It's just that I have the $200 for the CAD but I guess I could save up. The RC kit is like $600. How much would it cost to get the kit installed?