Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

A/C system

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 04:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6
Default A/C system

So i havent had cold air for the last two years in my jeep and it didnt really bother me until today when i got in my friends 87 and he had ice cold air. Now i really wanna get mine back in order. The compressor bearing went bad about two years ago and i replaced that, the clutch, and magnet. Well the compressor cycled for a little bit after that then just stopped. I didnt care so i left it. I just went and filled it with freon today cause it was a bit low and it came back to life, but the clutch makes this horrible rattling sound when it disengages. I tightened up that front nut but that caused it to spin all the time so i backed it off. Also, the air is blowing warm and doesnt get cold at all. and the pully on the compressor is bent so the belt wobbles a bit. Im gonna go pick up a compressor from the junkyard cause i dont have the money for a 200$ new one. i know its not ideal but if it works, it works. What else do i need when replacing the compressor? i know the system will have to be evacuated and refilled. but can i leave everything else fine? it worked great until that bearing went out i started messing with the clutch so i dont think anything else is damaged. Thanks!
Old 07-27-2015, 05:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

As long as the old compressor wasn't internally damaged dumping metal shavings into the lines you should be fine. You will probably need to install a new dryer when you open the system and swap compressors though and it might be a good idea to replace all the line o rings while the system is empty. Make sure you don't get ANY dirt into the lines while working on the system because that can cause your expansion valve to plug up

Last edited by InitialForce; 07-27-2015 at 05:11 PM.
Old 07-27-2015, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L HO

okay first off if you KNOW Your compressor is good as in you can take everything off of it and hear it pump and accuate i would just swap pullys theres no good way to tell the health of a JY ac compressor without pulling it apart. you can buy the clutch/bearing/magnet as one for like 100 dollars. what probably happened is your old clutch wore out so bad it collapsed the clutch springsto answer your primary question. if you want to replace your compressor you need compressor oil, Freon, UV dye (recommend), compressor and compressor o rings (inlet and outlet). If you really want to go all out i would highly suggest replacing you accumulator it removes the moisture out of the system that does not get boiled off. The moisture that is passed into the compressor leads to total compressor failure. you can do all of this at home with some rented equipment (ie TWO STAGE vacuum pump, manifold gauge set). Your readings on your gauge will vary on ambient temp like here in lovely 100 degree north Florida your readings should be in the ball park of low side 10-20 high side 150-200. AC as you can tell is so much fun but wayy worth it XD
Old 07-27-2015, 05:50 PM

The clutch cycles on and off but I don't know how else to tell if it's good. A knew compressor at the yard is only 25 bucks so I think I'm just gonna pick one. Ill make sure the system wasn't open so it should be good. I can swap out everything but I have a professional that will do the vacuum and fill and all that. Since I'm saving alot on the compressor I think I'll go all out and replace the drier and o rings and such. Thanks for the help!
Old 07-27-2015, 06:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default A/C system

If it cycles without grinding or snapping the belt odds are the compressor is not your problem. Your trying to fix a problem by changing the hardest parts first. It sounds like the clutch is dead. Replace that first. Worst case scenario it isn't the problem and if you have to replace the compressor you can swap the new clutch over.
Old 07-27-2015, 06:21 PM

you can take that front nut off and pull the clutch and see how much material is there but yea i got one for my dakota out of a jy for 25 bucks. Good luck. no problem hope it goes well
Old 07-27-2015, 10:02 PM

turns out that front nut is double threaded looks like a new compressor is in order.
Old 07-28-2015, 05:36 AM

See you if you can get a shop to rip that sucker off with an impact gun and chase the threads