Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

a/c recharge question

Old 07-31-2012, 09:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4L I6 MPI "Power Tech HO"
Default a/c recharge question

I installed a new compressor and I want to know when to add the oil. There is a port on the side of the compressor to add some there but I went and bought one that I can add to the system while pressurized. Can I put oil in the system by suction or is it better to use the port?
Also, How much oil does a 1992 Jeep Cherokee need?
Old 07-31-2012, 10:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 2015, 2012
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 3.6L

Check with your parts store. They can look it up, but around 8 ozs is common I believe.

Be aware R134A systems use PAG oil and R12 uses esther oil. I believe you add it directly to the compressor case before the Freon goes in.

You need to double check all this with a certified A/C tech, as I am not certified.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: 5.2

If your system is R12 You have to make sure you get a oil that is compatable with the oil already in there.

If you didnt flush they system, drain the old compressor and add that amount of oil to the new one. The new compressor may have oil already installed in it though.

Why did you replace the compressor? You should really have the system flushed, replace the reciever drier, and have it vacuumed out.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:37 PM

I had replaced my compressor because it gave off this arching noise when I turned it on. It was really loud.....Thought I would go and get another one. I did put in a new drier. I was hoping to not go and get serviced....would you really recommend that I do?
Old 08-02-2012, 05:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Engine: 4.0

I take that you didn't remove the oil that they put in it for shipping or put oil in the other part that you replaced???
Old 08-02-2012, 07:55 PM

It says it was shipped dry and vaccumed sealed. I put pag oil in before I started it. So I dont know why it makes that noise. I know its not the pulley cuz it only turns on when I turn ac on.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport

Did you have a vacuum pulled on the system. That has to be done since you pulled the pump letting air in the lines.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:17 PM

I went and rented one from autozone. I let it run for 45 min then let it sit over night. It held vacuum all night and proceeded to put a charge can that had ice 32, pag oil, and leak stuff. I stopped cuz I didnt like the noise it was making.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:19 PM

It had one oz of each in the charge can I was talking about in the previous post.I put anout 4.5 oz of oil in total to the system.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:43 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: Several

Which one made the noise?

If both sound the same, it could be the idler pulley making the noise - sometimes hard to tell. Use a hunk of heater hose held to your ear like a stethoscope to find the source of the noise. A worn belt can be very noisy too.

On the side of the compressor there's a large plug. You can use a dipstick to check the oil in it. Look up your compressor by make and number on the internet - it will show how to bend a wire as a dipstick and how much oil to use. The internet charts will tell you how much oil the compressor gets. The rest of the total goes into the rest of the system. You'll lose the freon charge doing it.

The compressor crankcase gets some, the rest gets added into the drier or put it in like you do freon.
The oil in the front by the clutch (dipstick) lubes the crankshaft, bearing, piston bottoms, and wobble plate.
The oil in the other end lubes the piston tops and reed valves - plus circulates throughout the system preventing rust and flushing any dirt into the drier.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:11 PM

The compressor made the noise. I isolated the compressor by letting the car run with out ac. Then I turned on the ac and you can hear the compressor making this noise....I didnt want to go further so I turned it off and i took it to firestone yesterday. They have no idea what is going on. They vacuumed out everything but couldn't charge it. They used there machine to force it in there and it still wouldn't go. I think I got a bad compressor....What you guys think?
Old 08-03-2012, 06:24 PM
CF Veteran

I hope you didn't pay them to experiment on your Jeep, but not have a clue as to what they're doing.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:16 PM

They didnt make me pay anything. They said they couldn't figure it out so I didn't have to pay. Pretty sad to be honest. I am going to get another compressor under warranty. We will see what happens.
Old 08-04-2012, 06:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: 5.2

I doubt they will warrenty the compressor, When I was young and dumb I tried charging with a can that had stop leak in. Wrecked everything. After a day I couldnt even add freon. the stop leak did its job!!! It also blocked everything up in the system, causing it not to take a charge. Then the compressor gernaded, took it apart and it had solidified stop leak all through it.

All places I know wont warrenty out a compressor unless you can prove all was flushed. And if they see ANY stop leak in the ports, they will not warrenty.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:15 PM
CF Veteran

Compressor warranty requires the following: Proof that the filter/dryer and orifice/expansion valve was replaced at the time of replacement of the compressor.

Also that the system was flushed, vacuumed properly and the proper amount and type of oil and refrigerant was added. DIY'ers or your buddy will have a hard time proving all this unless they are certified. They usually want to see a service labor receipt from a certified shop.

These compressor companies are not dummies.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: a/c recharge question